No announcement yet.

A Jazz Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

‘Feed The Lions’ from the Dafnis Prieto Sextet’s 2020 album ‘Transparency’, featuring Peter Apfelbaum tenor saxophone, Roman Filiu alto/soprano saxophones, Alex Norris trumpet, Alex Brown piano, Johannes Wiedenmueller bass and Dafnis Prieto drums.

Comment

‘This Chair Is Broken’ from the 2006 album ‘Lucid Dream’ by alto saxophonist Patrick Cornelius, with Nick Vayenas valve trombone, Aaron Parks piano, Sean Conly bass and Kendrick Scott drums.

Comment

The brilliant young trumpet player and bandleader Jaimie Branch has died at the age of just 39. Devastating.

Comment

I’m watching ‘Chasing ‘Trane - A John Coltrane Documentary’ on Sky Arts right now and it’s very good indeed. I only get to watch the channel via Freeview but if you have a Sky subscription I recommend anyone watch this through the catch up platform.

Comment

I did ponder watching that, but noticed that the guests included Bill Clinton and a few others which made me ponder if it'd be worth it.

On a Coltrane tip, though, and very much in the spirit of gjw, there's a new album coming out from Finnish saxophonist Eero Koivistoinen, who sounds remarkably like Coltrane. I didn't know him well, so I was surprised to discover is himself over 70 now.

Comment

In memorium, Pharaoh Sanders

Comment

Yes, RIP to a true great.

Would I be right in assuming that his ‘Promises’ collaboration with Floating Points was his last recorded work? If so, what a way to go out.

Gilles Peterson, a huge fan, currently dedicating a lot of time to sharing Sanders’ work on his 6Music show which is about to end. Well worth catching again.

Comment

Originally posted by diggedy derek View Post
                  I did ponder watching that, but noticed that the guests included Bill Clinton and a few others which made me ponder if it'd be worth it.

On a Coltrane tip, though, and very much in the spirit of gjw, there's a new album coming out from Finnish saxophonist Eero Koivistoinen, who sounds remarkably like Coltrane. I didn't know him well, so I was surprised to discover is himself over 70 now.

I like this, also.

Comment

Just bringing this thread back to the top, to see if I can find out whether gjw100 is OK. Quite understand if you have decided to stop posting to the thread gjw, but am worried about you and hoping that you are OK (just on an OTF break)

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                      Just bringing this thread back to the top, to see if I can find out whether gjw100 is OK. Quite understand if you have decided to stop posting to the thread gjw, but am worried about you and hoping that you are OK (just on an OTF break)
                      I’m thinking similarly. I’ve PM’d him but with no response yet.

Comment

Tigris by Village of the Sun, which appears to be a project involving Moses Boyd whose work I have enjoyed a lot.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gpDjjAgCmPE

Just listening to this right now on a BBC6 Music show presented by Deb Grant focusing on contemporary jazz. All choices very good so far.

Comment

Recently been introduced to Alabaster de Plume. He’s a jazz/poetry artist who encourages young musicians with learning difficulties to play on his albums. However there is a lot more to his work than an admirably inclusive attitude. He’s very good, certainly based on his last two albums.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AmL44wGdef0

Comment

Before I resume posting, I must thank ad hoc and Tony C, who both expressed concern at my absence upthread (I’ve already messaged them separately). As I explained, I have been taking as much of a complete break from the internet as one can get away with these days, having concluded back in the summer that I was spending way too much time online at the expense of real life.

Anyway, this is ‘Rio’ from trumpeter Lee Morgan’s 1978 album ‘The Procrastinator’, a Blue Note release which pulled together material from three separate and previously unreleased sessions recorded in 1967 and 1969 with the same high-powered line up – Wayne Shorter tenor saxophone, Herbie Hancock piano, Bobby Hutcherson vibraphone, Ron Carter bass and Billy Higgins drums.

Comment

'Houston St. Thursday Afternoon’ from Bobby Hutcherson’s 1977 album ‘The View From Inside’, featuring Hutcherson on vibraphone, Manny Boyd soprano saxophone, Larry Nash piano, James Leary bass and Eddie Marshall drums.

Comment

Originally posted by gjw100 View Post
                                Before I resume posting, I must thank ad hoc and Tony C, who both expressed concern at my absence upthread (I’ve already messaged them separately). As I explained, I have been taking as much of a complete break from the internet as one can get away with these days, having concluded back in the summer that I was spending way too much time online at the expense of real life.

Anyway, this is ‘Rio’ from trumpeter Lee Morgan’s 1978 album ‘The Procrastinator’, a Blue Note release which pulled together material from three separate and previously unreleased sessions recorded in 1967 and 1969 with the same high-powered line up – Wayne Shorter tenor saxophone, Herbie Hancock piano, Bobby Hutcherson vibraphone, Ron Carter bass and Billy Higgins drums.
                                I watched a jazz documentary a while ago (struggling to remember which one, it may have been part of the Ken Burns ‘Jazz’ series) in which one eminent musician put forward a seemingly accepted notion in the jazz community that if Ron Carter is attached to a project then it must be good. He is held in extremely high regard, an arbiter of good taste.

Good to see you back.

Comment

Glad you're back.

Comment

'Morningtide’ from Jasmine Myra’s 2022 album ‘Horizons’, released on Matthew Halsall’s Gondwana label. Featuring Myra on alto saxophone and flute, Anna Chandler soprano saxophone, Alice Roberts harp, Jasper Green keyboards, Ben Haskins guitar, Sam Quintana bass and George Hall drums.

Comment

‘This Place That Place’ from drummer Makaya McCraven’s 2022 album ‘In These Times’, featuring Brandee Younger harp, Junius Paul bass, Jeff Parker guitar, Joel Ross marimba, Lia Kohl cello, Marta Sofia Honer viola , Marie Stewart violin and Zara Zahieva violin.

Comment

I must get round to ‘In These Times’ - I really liked (to the extent of actually buying) his previous album ‘Universal Beings’ which I play a lot.

Curiously, McCraven played on the album by the Radiohead offshoot project The Smile which seems to have been well received.

Comment

Made Of Wood’ from the 2022 ECM album ‘The Next Door’ by the Julia Hulsmann Quartet – Hulsmann on piano, Ulli Kempendorff tenor saxophone, Marc Muellbauer bass and Heinrich Kobberling drums.

Comment

‘Akervise’ from the 2022 album ‘Fjaere’ by the Espen Berg Trio – Berg on piano, Barour Reinert Poulsen bass and Simon Albertsen drums with guest Hanna Paulsberg on tenor saxophone.

Comment

‘Shackleton’s Cocoa’ from bassist Noah Garabedian’s 2022 album ‘Consider The Stars Beneath Us’, with Dayna Stephens tenor saxophone, Carmen Staaf piano, Jimmy Mcbride drums and Samuel Adams electronics.

Comment

‘The Pioneers’ from guitarist Bill Frisell’s 2022 album ‘Four’, fearuring Gregory Tardy tenor saxophone, Gerald Clayton piano and Johnathan Blake drums.

Comment

‘Unravel’ from guitarist Olli Hirvonen’s 2019 album ‘Displace’, with Luke Marantz piano, Marty Kenney bass and Nathan Ellman-Bell drums.

Comment

‘The Journey’ from drummer Tom Skinner’s album ‘Voices Of Bishara’, release earlier this month on the Brownswood label. With Chelsea Carmichael tenor saxophone, Robert Stillman tenor saxophone, Kareem Dayes cello, Tom Herbert bass and Paul Camo samples.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X