No announcement yet.

A Jazz Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

‘Dance Of The Grebes’ from vibraphonist Dave Pike’s 1976 album ‘Time Out of Mind’, featuring Tom Ranier keyboards, Ron Eschete guitar, Luther Hughes bass and Ted Hawke drums/percussion.

Comment

‘Snowflake’ from the 1978 album ‘Images’ by The Crusaders – Wilton Felder tenor saxophone, Joe Sample keyboards, Stix Hooper drums, Billy Rogers guitar and Robert ‘Pops’ Popwell bass.

Comment

‘Sleezy Listening’ from Auracle’s 1978 album ‘Glider’, featuring John Serry Jr keyboards, Steve Kujala tenor saxophone and flute, Rick Braun trumpet, Steve Rehbein vibraphone/percussion, Bill Staebell bass and Ron Wagner drums.

Comment

‘Nasca’ from German band Jazz Track’s 1975 album ‘First Call’, featuring Wolfgang Engstfeld soprano/tenor saxophones, Uli Beckerhoff trumpet, Michel Herr piano, Sigi Busch bass and Heinrich Hoch drums/percussion.

Comment

‘Not Ethiopia’ from the Brecker Brothers’ 1981 album ‘Straphangin’, featuring Michael Brecker tenor saxophone, Randy Brecker trumpet, Mark Grey keyboards, Barry Finnerty guitar, Marcus Miller bass, Richie Morales drums, Don Alias percussion and Manolo Badrena percussion.

Comment

That photo was taken in the original City Hall station on the IRT Subway, the first station in the system, which has been closed for decades, but is open for episodic tours.

It is an incredible space.

Comment

‘Airport’ from Polish band Extra Ball’s 1979 album ‘Go Ahead’, with Adam Kawonczyk trumpet, Janusz Muniak tenor/sopranino saxophones, Wojcieh Groboz keyboards, Jaroslaw Smietana guitar, Antoni Debski bass and Marian Bronikowski drums/percussion.

Comment

‘Dragon Breath’ from vibraphonist Bobby Paunetto’s 1977 album ‘Commit To Memory’, with Paul Moen soprano saxophone, Todd Anderson tenor saxophone and electric piano, Ronnie Cuber baritone saxophone, Ed Byrne trombone, Glenn Drewes trumpet, Abe Laboriel bass, Doug Florence drums, Frank Malabe percussion and Fred Munar percussion.

Comment

‘Witch Doctor’s Brew’ from Magnum’s 1974 album ‘Fully Loaded’, featuring Lamont Payne trumpet, Thurron Mallory tenor saxophone, Vince Wormley trombone, Michael Greene electric piano, Kevin Thornton guitar, Harold Greene bass, David Sutton drums and George Chainey percussion.

Comment

Cerys Matthews played a particularly pleasant piece on her 6 Music Sunday show. Turns out it was the title track from Matthew Halsall’s ‘Colour Yes’ album from earlier this year.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7V0LMjlFv4E
                      ​​​​​​​

Comment

gjw, I wonder what your thoughts on Chico Freeman are?

I’ve listened closely, but recently was checking out early 80s album The Search and it’s so good. I think 80s spiritual and free jazz is often a blind spot
                        for me

Comment

Originally posted by diggedy derek View Post
                          gjw, I wonder what your thoughts on Chico Freeman are?

I’ve listened closely, but recently was checking out early 80s album The Search and it’s so good. I think 80s spiritual and free jazz is often a blind spot
                          for me
                          Chico Freeman’s great, dd. I posted a couple of tracks from ‘Morning Prayer’ and ‘Spirit Sensitive’ here last year and I’ve always felt that he was a musician slightly out of time. When he first emerged, jazz was just beginning to cool down from a late Sixties / early Seventies period of white-hot creativity, and it seems to me that his sound is more redolent of that earlier time. His albums definitely reward further investigation.

Comment

With the exception of the Palle Mikkelborg collaboration ‘Aura’ (which would definitely be in my Miles Davis Top 10), until a few days ago it had probably been 30 years or more since I last listened to the ‘comeback’ albums that Miles made in the 1980’s. Although I bought and enjoyed them all at the time, I think that maybe in the intervening years I’d written them off as a bit sub-par, with Miles past his best and rather going through the motions. Prompted by something that I read online, I listened to them all again over the weekend and must admit that I was wrong. Not completely - ‘Tutu’ and ‘Amandla’ are average at best, with Miles sounding tired and bereft of any spirit, swamped by an over-elaborate Marcus Miller / Tommy LiPuma production. The albums that preceded those two are a real joy though. The overall tone is sparse and crisp, providing a perfect backing that allows Miles to play with a wonderful, fiery freedom that hearkens back to the previous decade. This is ‘Aida’ from the 1981 album ‘The Man With The Horn’, featuring Bill Evans on soprano saxophone, Barry Finnerty guitar, Marcus Miller bass and Al Foster drums.

Comment

‘Back Seat Betty’ from the 1982 live album ‘We Want Miles’, with Bill Evans soprano saxophone, Mike Stern guitar, Marcus Miller bass and Al Foster drums.

Comment

The title track from ‘Decoy’ (1984), with Branford Marsalis soprano saxophone, John Scofield guitar, Robert Irving III keyboards, Darryl Jones bass, Al Foster drums and Mino Cinelu percussion.

Comment

As part of a free lift home from Bucharest Airport on Saturday I have to stand among the taxi drivers holding a sign with the name Arthur Hnatek on it, and share his car from there to home for 4 hours. Hnatek is the drummer for Armenian pianist Tigran Hamasyan who is playing at the Csíkszereda jazz festival on Sunday

Comment

The "H" is silent.

He's Swiss and half my age.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                      As part of a free lift home from Bucharest Airport on Saturday I have to stand among the taxi drivers holding a sign with the name Arthur Hnatek on it, and share his car from there to home for 4 hours. Hnatek is the drummer for Armenian pianist Tigran Hamasyan who is playing at the Csíkszereda jazz festival on Sunday
                                      Hnatek is one of Europe's hottest young drummers, ad hoc. I posted a track from his excellent trio album 'Static' about this time last year, as well as, coincidentally, the Tigran Hamasyan album 'The Call Within' from 2020 that he played on. A good chance to familiarise yourself with his playing and maybe blag a couple of free tickets for Sunday! I'm sure that you would enjoy Hamasyan just as much as you did Dhafer Youssef last year. His music is a compelling mix of jazz and the folk/classical music of his Armenian homeland. It's quite beautiful, especially in a live setting.

Comment

Thanks gjw. Great to know. I'll definitely have tickets for Sunday as my wife and daughter are volunteering for the festival

Comment

The title track from vibraphonist Milt Jackson’s 1973 album ‘Sunflower’, with Freddie Hubbard trumpet, Herbie Hancock piano, Ron Carter bass, Billy Cobham drums and a string/woodwind section arranged and conducted by Don Sebesky.

Comment

The title track from Cal Tjader’s 1968 album ‘Solar Heat’, featuring Tjader on vibraphone, Mike Abene electric piano, Joao Donato organ, Chuck Rainey bass, Grady Tate drums and Ray Barretto percussion.

Comment

‘Autumn Colours’ from the 1983 album ‘September Memories by pianist Christoph Spendel and the Wolfgang Schluter Group – Schluter on vibraphone, Adelhard Roidinger bass and Ralf Hubner drums.

Comment

‘The Mountain And The Clouds’ from tenor saxophonist Rahsaan Barber’s 2021 album ‘Mosaic’, with Roland Warner trombone, Matt Endahl piano, Jack Aylor bass and Derrek Phillips drums.

Comment

‘Shifting Images’ from trumpeter Jeremy Pelt’s 2022 album ‘Soundtrack’, featuring Victor Gould electric piano, Chien Chien Lu vibraphone, Vicente Archer bass and Allan Mednard drums.

Comment

As part of my daughter's work at the festival mentioned above, apparently tomorrow she is being driven down to Bucharest to be the greeter for French singer Camille Bertault. (This is on the basis that my daughter speaks good English, I have no idea if Camille Bertault does - obviously if she doesn't the 4 hour car journey home will be fairly quiet)

Comment

Working...
                                                    X