No announcement yet.

A Jazz Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lee Morgan’s ‘Sidewinder’ from the album of the same name. Old school in feel, I guess, nothing groundbreaking in the structure. But the playing is sublime and it’s just wonderful.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EQF267HjN8M

Comment

Originally posted by Tony C View Post
      Lee Morgan’s ‘Sidewinder’ from the album of the same name. Old school in feel, I guess, nothing groundbreaking in the structure. But the playing is sublime and it’s just wonderful.
      Have you watched the Netflix documentary 'I Called Him Morgan', Tony? A fascinating account of his life and death.

Comment

That's such an absolutely brilliant film. There's a piece in the Guardian today about it

https://www.theguardian.com/film/202...led-him-morgan

Comment

Thanks both. No, I haven’t seen the documentary, (didn’t even know it existed) and just played Sidewinder by chance an hour ago. I have Netflix subscription so I’m right on it.

Comment

Yes, another thumb up for that film from me

Comment

From wiki

”UK/Caribbean-Belgian composer, producer and musician Nala Sinephro fuses meditative sounds, jazz sensibilities, folk and field recordings. Her musical practice is rooted in the study of frequency and geometry and guided by the premise that sound moves matter.“

Now to me that doesn’t sound too promising. However
              based on a recommendation from the always reliable ‘Piccadilly Records Best of the Year’ picks I gave Nala Sinephro’s ‘Space 1.8’ album a try. I think it might be the best new record I have heard from 2021 (or at least up there with the Floating Points/Pharoah Sanders) which I thought was a really strong year. I’m really taken with it, and personally feel it fits in a jazz thread. Try a sample.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UQ1kWXWsgzg

Comment

My favourite Lee Morgan release is the superb 'Live At The Lighthouse', with Bennie Maupin, Harold Mabern, Jymie Merritt and Jack DeJohnette / Mickey Roker. I don't think Morgan ever played better than on those three dates (10th - 12th July 1970). The 1996 reissue/remaster is the one to go for, as it has eight tracks that weren't on the original 1971 release, but for the real obsessives. there is the 'Complete...' 12 album / 8 CD Blue Note reissue from last year. That contains all 33 songs from the 12 sets that Morgan played over those three evenings, although as you might expect there's a fair amount of repetition in the setlists and there are no 'new' songs as such that weren't on the 1996 version.

If memory serves I think imp has also recommended the Nala Sinephro album (either here or quite possibly on the 'New Music For 2021' thread), and I can see why you like it Tony, given your fondness for the Floating Points release. It's very good indeed and, as you say, much better than the Wiki summary might lead you to expect.

Comment

My favourite Lee Morgan is Search For The New Land. What an album that is. It's the one after Sidewinder and a fair bit more exploratory and generally out there. I'm a big fan of Delightfulee also, from a couple of years hence.

Comment

If you didn’t already know of him, you might raise an eyebrow if I told you that one of the leading British jazz pianists of the 1960’s and the go-to accompanist for touring US jazz musicians was an ex-solicitor from Scotland who served for most of WWII as an RAF fighter pilot. That was Pat Smythe.

Smythe had a long association with saxophonist Joe Harriott (see previous postings), including Harriott’s ground-breaking Indo-Jazz Fusion albums with John Mayer. This is ‘Spiritual Blues’ from the 1964 album ‘Movement’, with Harriott on alto saxophone, Smythe piano, Shake Keane trumpet, Coleridge Goode bass and Bobby Orr drums.

Comment

The title track from the 1961 album ‘In My Condition’ by the Shake Keane Quintet – Keane on trumpet, Joe Harriott alto saxophone, Pat Smythe piano, Coleridge Goode bass and Tommy Jones drums.

Comment

The title track from the 1964 album ‘Boom-Jackie-Boom-Chick' by the Paul Gonsalves Quartet, featuring Gonsalves on tenor saxophone, Pat Smythe piano, Kenny Napper bass and Ronnie Stevenson drums. In the unlikely event that you come across this album in a charity shop, snap it up. There were only a few hundred copies produced (excluding much later re-masters/re-issues) and original copies go for well over a grand.

Comment

I saw the Lee Morgan documentary earlier and it’s very good. A tragic story.

Comment

‘Resistance’ from the 2018 album ‘The Underdog’ by guitarist Loizos Pafitis, with Elias Ioannou trumpet, Nikloas Melis keyboards, Marios Menelaou bass and Antreas Theodorou drums.

Comment

‘The Legend Of Bray’ from Benjamin Croft’s 2019 album ‘10 Reasons To’, featuring Croft on piano, Benet McLean violin, Henry Thomas bass and Tristan Mailliot drums.

Comment

‘Blue Yonder’ from Ingrid and Christine Jensen’s 2017 album ‘Infinitude’, with Ingrid on trumpet/effects, Christine alto saxophone, Ben Monder guitar, Fraser Hollins bass and John Wikan drums.

Comment

‘Into The Dark Mystical Beauty’ from the 2018 album ‘Birdsong - Can Yr Adar’ by Welsh pianist Gwilym Simcock and Welsh/Barbadian singer/guitarist Kizzy Crawford, accompanied by the Sinfonia Cymru Players – Sarah Bennett flute, Carys Evans French horn, Simmy Singh violin, Lucy McKay violin, Francesca Gilbert viola and Abel Selaocoe cello.

Comment

The Simcock/Crawford album is so lovely I couldn’t post just the one track, so here’s a second - ‘Another Source’.

Comment

‘Synsk Poet – Second-Sighted Poet’ from bassist Anders Jormin’s 2019 album ‘Poems For Orchestra’, with Lena Willemark vocals, Karin Nakagawa koto and the Bohusland Big Band, with tenor saxophonist Ove |Ingemarsson the featured soloist.

Comment

‘You Old Tasmanian Devil You’ from guitarist Oyvind Nypan’s 2018 album ‘Big City’, with Ben Wendel tenor saxophone, Taylor Eigsti piano, Joe Martin bass and Justin Faulkner drums.

Comment

The title track from the Lorenzo De Finti Quartet’s 2016 album ‘We Live Here’, with Finti on piano, Gendrikson Mena trumpet, Stefano Dall’Ora bass and Marco Castigliono drums.

Last edited by gjw100; 22-01-2022, 08:05.

Comment

‘Hermeto’ from the 2016 album ‘Outlier’ by drummer Jeff Williams, with Josh Arcoleo tenor saxophone, Kit Downes piano, Phil Robson guitar and Sam Lasserson bass.

Comment

‘Nomades’ from the 2017 album ‘Out Of Silence’ by the Mathilde Grooss Viddal Friensemblet, featuring Grooss Vidal on soprano/tenor saxophones and clarinets, Naissam Jala flute/vocals, Dag Stiberg alto saxophone, Per Willy Aaserud trumpet/electronics, Eivind Lonning trumpet, Oyvind Braekke trombone, Britt Pernille Froholm violin and Hardinger fiddle, Tellef Kyifte keyboards/electronics, Safaa Al Saadi darbouka, Satta Al Saadi darbouka, Knut Nesheim vibraphone, Ellen Brekken bass and Siv Oyunn Kjeenstad drums.

Last edited by gjw100; 23-01-2022, 09:15.

Comment

‘Jourjina Over Three’ from the 2017 album ‘Not Two’ by Amir El-Saffar and Rivers Of Sound, featuring El-Saffar on trumpet/santoor, Ole Mathisen tenor saxophone, Fabrizio Cassol alto saxophone JD Parran bass saxophone and clarinet, Miles Okazaki guitar, Craig Taborn piano, Mohammed Saleh oboe and English horn, Zafer Tawil oud, George Ziadeh oud, Jason Adasciewicz vibraphone, Dena El-Saffar violin, Naseem Alatrash cello, Tareq Abboushi percussion, Carlo DeRosa bass, Nasheet Waits drums and Rajna Swaminathan mridangam.

Comment

‘Fly, Fly’ from pianist Kjetil Mulelid’s 2019 album ‘Nearly Enough To Buy A House’, with Bjorn Hegge bass and Andreas Winther drums.

Comment

‘Keppler 22B’ from pianist Olga Konkova’s 2016 album ‘The Goldilocks Zone’, with Per Mathisen bass and Gary Husband drums.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X