Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gjw100
    replied
    ‘Tomorrow’ from the 2023 album ‘In Search Of A Better Tomorrow’, a collaboration between Polish band EABS – Marek Pedziwiatr keyboards, Olaf Wegier soprano/tenor saxophones and clarinet, Jakub Kurek trumpet, Pawel Stachowiak bass and Marcin Rak drums, and Pakistani band Jaubi – Ali Riaz Baqar guitar, Kashif Ali Dhani tabla and Zohaib Hassan Khan sarangi.

Leave a comment:

• gjw100
    replied
    'Rituel Des Collines' from flautist Naissam Jalal’s 2023 album 'Healling Rituals', with Clement Petit cello, Claude Tchamitchian bass and Zaza Desiderio drums.

Last edited by gjw100; 01-06-2023, 06:44.

Leave a comment:

• gjw100
    replied
    Originally posted by diggedy derek View Post
    Sorcerer is so underrated

A previously unreleased Coltrane Dolphy gig from 1961, discovered in a New York library, has just been announced
    In more recent years I’ve come around to the belief that those four albums, plus ‘Miles In The Sky’ and ‘Filles De Kilimanjaro’ represent Miles’ greatest period.

I think Dolphy was with Coltrane for only a brief period but in that time they played quite a few shows at the Village Vanguard. I wonder if it's one of those recordings that has surfaced.

Leave a comment:

• diggedy derek
    replied
    Sorcerer is so underrated

A previously unreleased Coltrane Dolphy gig from 1961, discovered in a New York library, has just been announced

Leave a comment:

• gjw100
    replied
    ‘Riot’ from ‘Nefertiti’ (1968)

Leave a comment:

• gjw100
    replied
    ‘Masqualero’ from ‘The Sorceror’ (1967)

Leave a comment:

• gjw100
    replied
    ‘Circles’ from ‘Miles Smiles’ (1967)

Leave a comment:

• gjw100
    replied
    Four this morning from Miles Davis and his (‘Second Great’) Quintet, beginning with ‘Iris’ from ‘E.S.P’ (1965). Featuring, of course, Wayne Shorter tenor saxophone, Herbie Hancock piano, Ron Carte bass and Tony Williams drums.

Leave a comment:

• gjw100
    replied
    ‘Symbiosis’ from pianist Mike Nock’s 1977 album ‘Almanac’, with Bennie Maupin tenor saxophone, Cecil McBee bass and Eddie Marshall drums.

Leave a comment:

• gjw100
    replied
    ‘New Arrival’ from tenor saxophonist George Coleman’s 1979 album ‘Amsterdam After Dark’, with Hilton Ruiz piano, Sam Jones bass and Billy Higgins drums.

Leave a comment:

• gjw100
    replied
    ‘It’s Time’ from tenor saxophonist Clifford Jordan’s 1977 album ‘Remembering Me-Me', with Roy Burrowes trumpet, Chris Anderson piano, Wilbur Ware bass and George Avaloz drums.

Leave a comment:

• gjw100
    replied
    ‘Birds, Bees And Forest Trees’ from soprano saxophonist Froy Aagre’s 2013 album ‘Electric’, with Andreas Ulvo electric piano, Magnus Bormark guitar, Nora Taksdal viola, Marit Klovning cello, Audun Ellingsen bass and Jonas Barsten drums.

Leave a comment:

• gjw100
    replied
    ‘A View From A Mountain’ from Knut Bjornar Asphol’s 2013 album ‘Wilderness Exit’, featuring Asphol on guitar and synthesizer, Nils Petter Molvaer trumpet, Helge Lien piano, Magnus Westgaard bass and Torstein Lofthus drums.

Leave a comment:

• gjw100
    replied
    ‘Summer Was Our Holy Place’ from pianist Sultan Stevenson’s 2023 album ‘Faithful One’, with Denys Baptiste tenor saxophone, Josh Short trumpet, Jacob Gryn bass and Joel Waters drums.

Leave a comment:

• gjw100
    replied
    ‘So Close, So Far’ from drummer Ollie Howells’ 2013 album ‘Sutures And Stitches’, featuring Duncan Eagles tenor saxophone, Mark Perry trumpet, Matt Robinson piano and Max Luthert bass.

Leave a comment:

• gjw100
    replied
    ‘Hayumi’ from the 2016 album ‘Eastern Smiles’ by tenor saxophonist Hanna Paul’s Concept, with Oscar Gronberg piano, Trygve Waldemar Fiske bass and Hans Hulbaekmo drums.

Leave a comment:

• gjw100
    replied
    ‘Sakn’ from Geir Lysne’s 2013 album ‘New Circle’, featuring Lysne on saxophones, flute, ballaphone, kalimba and programming, Reidar Skar keyboards/programming, Eckhard Bauer trumpet, Olav Torget guitar, Gjermund Silset bass, Knut Aalefjor drums and Helge Norbakken percussion.

Leave a comment:

• gjw100
    replied
    ‘Kaa’ from the Geir Lysne Listening Ensemble’s 2006 album ‘Boahjenasti - The North Star’, with Hallgrim Bratberg guitar, Jorn Oien keyboards, Jan Olav Renvag bass/tuba, Knut Aalefjor drums, Terje Isungset percussion/vocals, Klaus Holm alto saxophone & flute, Morten Halle alto/soprano saxophones, Bernhard Seland baritone saxophone and bass clarinet, Anders Wiborg bass trombone, Ketil Einarsen flute, Tore Brunborg tenor saxophone & flute, Fredrik Jensen tenor saxophones, Frank Brodahl, Eckhard Bauer, Marius Haltli and Ole Jorn Myklebust trumpets/flugelhorns, and Christian Jaksjo, Helge Sunde and Jorgen Gjerde trombones.

Leave a comment:

• gjw100
    replied
    ‘Aurora Borealis Suite Part 1’ from saxophonist/composer/conductor Geir Lysne’s 2002 album ‘Aurora Borealis – Nordic Lights’, with Hallgrim Bratberg guitar, Jorn Oien keyboards, Jan Olav Renvag bass/tuba, Kenneth Ekornes drums, Knut Aalefjor drums, Klaus Graf alto saxophone, Morten Halle alto/soprano saxophones, Bernhard Seland baritone saxophone, Ketil Hoyland bass trombone, Ketil Einarsen flute, Andi Maile and Fredrik Jensen tenor saxophones, Eckhard Bauer, Frank Brodahl, Marius Haltli and Ole Jorn Myklebust trumpets/flugelhorns, and Christian Jaksjo, Helge Sunde and Jorgen Gjerde trombones.

Leave a comment:

• gjw100
    replied
    ‘Light As A Feather’ from singer Flora Purim’s 1973 album ‘Butterfly Dreams’, a song that she had recorded the previous year as part of the first incarnation of Chick Corea’s Return To Forever. With George Duke keyboards, Joe Henderson tenor saxophone and flute, David Amaro guitar, Stanley Clarke bass and Airto Moreira drums/percussion (the latter two also members of that first RTF).

Leave a comment:

• gjw100
    replied
    When they were formed, the Billy Cobham / George Duke Band seemed ready-made to claim a place alongside the other jazz-fusion superstars of the 1970’s. Former Mahavishnu Orchestra drummer Cobham had established a successful solo career following the band’s implosion a few years previously. Duke had played keyboards for Cannonball Adderley, spent several years in Frank Zappa’s Mothers Of Invention band at a point where Zappa was at his most musically adventurous and had also released half-a-dozen well-received albums in his own right on the MPS label. Bassist Alphonso Johnson was fresh from a three-album stint with Weather Report and keen to prove that he hadn’t just been keeping the bass chair warm until Jaco Pastorius turned up. 25-year-old guitarist John Scofield was relatively unknown and had yet to develop his signature sound, but was more than capable of holding his own in this company. Unfortunately, the band lasted less than a year before internal disagreements and management wrangling led to a parting of the ways. The 1976 album ‘Live On Tour In Europe’ recorded during a CBS promo tour with label mates Weather Report and John McLaughlin’s Shakti was their only official release, although a remastered radio broadcast recording of a 1976 Hofstra University, NY concert surfaced a few years back. This is a version of Cobham’s ‘Hip Pockets’.

Leave a comment:

• gjw100
    replied
    ‘Space To Dream’ from tenor saxophonist Tom Barford’s 2018 album ‘Bloomer’, with Rupert Cox piano, Billy Marrows guitar, Flo Moore bass and Dave Storey drums.

Leave a comment:

• gjw100
    replied
    The title track from tenor saxophonist Andrew Woolf’s 2021 album ‘Song Unsung’, with Joe Auckland trumpet, Rob Updegraff guitar, Dave Mannington bass and Simon Roth drums.

Leave a comment:

• Evariste Euler Gauss
    replied
    I've just* decided I like jazz. Just 104 pages of this thread to explore, then. I'm enjoying the Patrice Rushen number on page 1!

* Actually it was a couple of days ago, prompted by the music question on an episode of University Challenge I was watching on catch-up, which introduced me to Art Blakey (whose Moanin' I've fallen in love with) and to Oliver Nelson's Stolen Moments.

Leave a comment:

• gjw100
    replied
    ‘Mirage’ from guitarist David Pritchard’s 1978 album ‘Light-Year’, with Charles Orena tenor saxophone, Ted Saunders electric piano, Larry Klein bass and Paul Kreibich drums.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X