No announcement yet.

A Jazz Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Three from German label MPS this morning, beginning with the title track from trombonist Jiggs Whigham’s 1971 album ‘Values’, with George Gruntz electric piano, J.A Rettenbacher bass and Tony Inzalaco drums.

Comment

‘Song For Eva’ from the 1977 album ‘For Marcel Duchamp’ by the Hans Koller Free Sound, featuring Koller on tenor saxophone, Eddy Marron guitar, Jurgen Wuchner bass and Janus Stefanski drums.

Comment

‘Curtis’ from the 1973 album ‘Everything’ by Smoke – Nardy Dedmann alto saxophone and bass clarinet, Woodi Webb vibraphone, Danny Daniels organ, Curtis Clark piano, Bob Bragg bass, Akira tana drums and Garry Griffith percussion.

Comment

Not sure if it's been mentioned previously (I went through bthe search function but not sure it picks up everything) - but I'd like to drop my favourite release of the year. Floating Points, Pharoah Sanders and the LSO - 'Promises'. It's hard to define as pure jazz - hard to define as anyhting, really - but it's a beautiful, minimalist spacey type of free-form crossover spiritual jazzery. Lush.

Comment

Originally posted by Vicarious Thrillseeker View Post
            Not sure if it's been mentioned previously (I went through bthe search function but not sure it picks up everything) - but I'd like to drop my favourite release of the year. Floating Points, Pharoah Sanders and the LSO - 'Promises'. It's hard to define as pure jazz - hard to define as anyhting, really - but it's a beautiful, minimalist spacey type of free-form crossover spiritual jazzery. Lush.
            Good shout, VT, it's a very fine album. From memory, Tony C. mentioned it as one of his favourite releases a while back. In my experience the Search function is very hit and miss so I'm not surprised that you didn't find it.

Comment

The title track from saxophonist George Braith’s 1967 Blue Note album ‘Extension’, with the great Grant Green on guitar, Billy Gardner organ and Clarence Johnston drums.

Comment

‘Goat’s Song’ from the 1969 album ‘Maliny Maliny’ by the Jan Hammer Trio, with Hammer on organ, George Mraz bass and Cees See drums.

Comment

‘Malaguena’ from drummer Pete La Roca’s 1965 album ‘Basra’, with Joe Henderson tenor saxophone, Steve Kuhn piano and Steve Swallow bass.

Comment

‘The Man Behind The Hill’ from the 2021 album ‘Fata Morgana’ by the Rasmus Holm Quartet – Holm on trombone, Julius Gawlik tenor saxophone and clarinet, Thorbjorn Stefansson bass and Amund Kleppan drums.

Comment

‘Neon Light (And The Sky Was Trans)’ the title track from the recently released album by tenor saxophonist Linda Fredriksson, with Tuomo Prattala keyboards, Minne Kolvisto keyboards, Mikael Saastamoinen bass and Olavi Louhivuori drums.

Comment

The title track from Tobias Meinhart’s 2021 album ‘The Painter’, with Meinhart on tenor saxophone, Eden Ladin piano, Matt Penman bass and Obed Calvaire drums.

Comment

‘In Diesen Wintertagen’ from Lionel Belmondo’s 2011 album ‘Clair Obscur’, with Belmondo on tenor/soprano saxophones and flute, Stephane Belmondo trumpet, Jerome Voisin clarinet and bass clarinet, Cecile Hardouin bassoon, Philippe Gauthier flute, Bernard Burgun English horn, Francois Cristin horn, Bastien Stil tuba, Laurent Fickelson electric piano, Sylvain Romano bass and Dre Pallemaerts drums/percussion.

Comment

‘Bad Apple’ from tenor saxophonist Tivon Pennicott’s 2020 album ‘Spirit Garden’, with Phillip Dizack trumpet, Yasushi Nakamura bass, Joe Saylor drums and string orchestra conducted by Olivier Glissant.

Comment

The title track from the 2021 album ‘Dreaming In Lions’ by pianist Arturo O’Farrill and the Afro Latin Jazz Ensemble – Alejandro Alves tenor/soprano saxophones and flute, Adam O’Farrill trumpet/flugelhorn, Rafi Malkiel trombone, Carlos Maldonado marimba/percussion, Travis Reuter guitar, Jose Rodriguez Platiau bass, Zack O’Farrill drums, Vince Cherico drums/percussion and Victor Garcia-Gaetan congas.

Comment

First up this morning, one that I think diggedy derek will enjoy. This is ‘Understanding’, the title track from a recently released double-album live recording of a November 1970 performance at the Famous Ballroom, Baltimore by drummer Roy Brooks, accompanied by Woody Shaw trumpet, Carlos Garnett tenor saxophone, Harold Mabern piano and Cecil McBee bass. The musicians are all on top form, with Shaw in particular blowing up a storm.

Comment

‘Priestess’, the title track from the 1972 album by Masabumi Kikuchi and Gil Evans, with Kikuchi on electric piano, Billy Harper tenor saxophone and flute, Kohsuke Mine soprano/alto saxophones, Masayiko Takanayagi guitar, Michiko Takahashi vibraphone, Isao Itoh bass, Masahiko Togashi drums and a 12-piece horn/wind section arranged and conducted by Evans.

Comment

‘Ghetto Summertime’ from Eddie Gale’s 1969 album ‘Black Rhythm Happening’, with Gale on trumpet, Judah Samuel guitar, Henry Pearson bass and Elvin Jones drums.

Comment

‘Yggdrasil’ from the 2021 EP ‘Bleu Fonce’ by Swiss trio Quiet Tree – Simon Spiess tenor saxophone, Marc Mean keyboards and Jonas Ruther drums.

Comment

‘Winter Landscape In Black And White’ from pianist Makiko Hirabashi’s 2021 album ‘Weavers’, with Fredrik Lundin tenor saxophone, Thommy Andersson bass and Bjorn Heeboll drums.

Comment

‘Dans Mon Pays’ from the 2020 ECM album ‘La Traversee’ by French tenor saxophonist Matthieu Bordenave, with pianist Florian Weber and bassist Patrice Moret.

Comment

That sounds absolutely wonderful gjw. Woody Shaw really was one of those 'buy on sight' guys for me for many years.

Comment

‘Caravan Curtains’ from the 2020 album ‘Humble Travelers’ by the Floating Circle Quartet – Aidan Pearson clarinet and bass clarinet, Johanna Burnheart violin, Matt Hurley guitar, Johnny Wickham bass and Arthur Newell drums.

Comment

‘Mythos’ from the 2020 album ‘Burnheart’ by violinist Johanna Burnheart, with David Swan keyboards, Johnny Wickham bass and Boz Martin-Jones drums.

Comment

New Coltrane discovery just released: A Love Supreme: Live in Seattle:

https://pitchfork.com/news/john-colt...bum-announced/

Comment

If you like Jazz and punk, you might dig these creative Blue Note designs used for classic punk/new wave/second wave ska records:
                                                    https://www.instagram.com/stealworks/?hl=en

Comment

Working...
                                                    X