Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gjw100
    replied
    Ah, what dreadful news. That's put a kink into what had been a good day. I haven't checked, but I know I would find that in the relatively brief time the Jazz thread has been going, I've posted significantly more tracks featuring Wayne Shorter than any other musician. He was one of the first jazz players that I listened to in my early teens and until his retirement from playing and recording in 2016/17, everything that he released joined its predecessors as a constant presence in my musical life. Others will champion Coltrane or Parker, and with some justification, but for me he was and will remain the finest and most influential saxophonist ever to draw breath. What an astonishing career - firstly with Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers and then Miles' Second Great Quintet from '64 and on to the start of 'electric Miles' and 'Bitches Brew' in ''69, all the while releasing a string of inventive and outstanding solo albums on Blue Note. And that's before you even get to the formation of Weather Report with Joe Zawinul, a band who went on to become the biggest-selling jazz outfit of the 70's and 80's. His solo work in the 30 years following Weather Report's demise added only another dozen or so albums to a sublime discography as the gaps between releases grew longer each time, and his final composition (an opera, 'Iphigenia') from a couple of years back has never been released on album, which is a huge pity. RIP indeed, you've earned it Mr Shorter.

Leave a comment:

• Tony C
    replied
    Ah, Wayne.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=boNCY0Ai44M

Not an especially sax heavy song but a lovely one that he was involved in.
    Last edited by Tony C; 02-03-2023, 18:50.

Leave a comment:

• Tony C
    replied
    Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
    Awful news

I saw him several times and always came away impressed

Non-paywalled obit here

https://twitter.com/nprmusic/status/1631340490749616137?s=61&t=xvOireV8JOIS_CpbTtDBow
    Goodness, yes, terrible news. Saw him play with Weather Report probably mid/late seventies (‘Heavy Weather’ period) and eas blown away. Got to love a lot more of his work since. A true great. RIP.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    An all time classic

Leave a comment:

• Tony C
    replied
    I’ve just become aware of the album that Thelonius Monk recorded with John Coltrane at Carnegie Hall in 1957. Played it a few times already. It’s wonderful.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NyzK1h6nz0A

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Awful news

I saw him several times and always came away impressed

Non-paywalled obit here

https://twitter.com/nprmusic/status/1631340490749616137?s=61&t=xvOireV8JOIS_CpbTtDBow

Leave a comment:

• danielmak
    replied
    I read that Wayne Shorter died. I don't own any of his CDs, but have some when he was part of band. I have Wayning Moments listed on my "want list" in Discogs. I can't remember why I put that there. Maybe it was recommended by one of you guys during a past discussion. Or maybe I read an interesting article about that record. Anyway, my contribution to the thread in his honor.

Leave a comment:

• gjw100
    replied

The title track from the 2021 album ‘Silver Lining’ by the Kate Pass Kohesia Ensemble, with Marc Osborne tenor saxophone, Ricki Malet trumpet, Mike Zolker oud, Reza Mirzael lute, Esfandiar Shahmir ney/daf, Chris Foster piano, Daniel Susnjar drums and bandleader Kate Pass on bass.

Leave a comment:

• gjw100
    replied
    ‘Palmyra’ from the 2020 album ‘Donna’s Secrets’ by Issie Barratt’s Interchange, with Barratt on baritone saxophone, Laura Jurd trumpet, Helena Kay alto saxophone, Alyson Caley clarinet, Rosie Turton trombone, Shirley Smart cello, Karen Street accordion, Jessica Radcliffe vocals, Charlie Pyne bass, Katie Patterson drums and Jas Kayser percussion.

Leave a comment:

• gjw100
    replied
    The title track from Menagerie’s 2017 album ‘The Arrow Of Time’, with Lance Ferguson guitar, Phil Noy alto/tenor saxophones, Ross Irwin trumpet, Mark Fitzgibbon piano, Michael Meagher bass, Rory McDougall drums, Javier Fredes percussion, Christin Deralas vocals and Jade MacRae vocals.

Leave a comment:

• gjw100
    replied
    ‘There Will Come Soft Rains’ from Menagerie’s 2012 album ‘They Shall Inherit’, with Lance Ferguson guitar, Phil Noy soprano saxophone, Mark Fitzgibbon piano, Michael Meagher bass, Rory McDougall drums, Phil Benotto percussion, Christin Deralas vocals and Fallon Williams vocals.

Leave a comment:

• gjw100
    replied
    Three from Australian guitarist/producer Lance Ferguson’s Menagerie ensemble, beginning with ‘Hymn Of The Turning Stone’ from the 2021 album ‘Many Worlds’ featuring Phil Noy tenor saxophone, Mark Fitzgibbon piano, Benjamin Hanlon bass, Daniel Farrugia drums, Phil Benotto percussion, Christin Deralas vocals and Fallon Williams vocals.

Leave a comment:

• gjw100
    replied
    ‘Tabarka’ from the 1975 album ‘Impact’ by French saxophonist Michel Roques, with Siegfried Kessler electric piano, Bernard Tessier bass and Bruno De Dieuleveult drums.

Leave a comment:

• gjw100
    replied
    ‘November 68th' from Joe Farrell’s 1972 album ‘Outback’, with Farrell on tenor saxophone, Chick Corea electric piano, Buster Williams bass, Elvin Jones drums and Airto Moreira percussion.

Leave a comment:

• gjw100
    replied
    The title track from ‘Light As A Feather’ (1973), Chick Corea and Return To Forever’s first album as a band, although the line-up was the same as that which appeared on the previous year’s ‘Return To Forever’, released as a Corea solo album. With Corea on electric piano, Joe Farrell tenor saxophone, Flora Purim vocals, Stanley Clarke bass and Airto Moreira drums/percussion.

Leave a comment:

• gjw100
    replied
    The title track from the 1967 album ‘Horizons’ by saxophonist/trumpeter Ira Sullivan, with Lon Norman trombone, Dolphe Castellano piano, William Fry bass and Jose Cigno drums.

Leave a comment:

• gjw100
    replied
    ‘Effi’ from Bobby Hutcherson’s 1995 album ‘Patterns’, a 1968 recording session featuring Hutcherson on vibraphone, James Spaulding flute, Stanley Cowell piano, Reggie Workman bass and Joe Chambers drums.

Leave a comment:

• gjw100
    replied
    ‘Love Drops’ from organist Larry Young’s 1969 album ‘Mother Ship’, with Lee Morgan trumpet, Herbert Morgan tenor saxophone and Eddie Gladden drums.

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    'Think!' - Lonnie Smith (Aretha Franklin cover), Blue Note, recorded 23 July 1968

No relation to Lonnie 'Liston' Smith.
    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 27-02-2023, 00:46.

Leave a comment:

• gjw100
    replied
    ‘Barcelona’ from trumpeter Dizzy Gillespie’s 1976 album ‘Bahiana’, with Roger Glenn flute, Al Gafa guitar, Mike Howell guitar, Earl May bass, Mickey Roker drums and Paulinho da Costa percussion.

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    Caramba! - Lee Morgan [Blue Note; Recorded on May 3, 1968 at the Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey]:

Leave a comment:

• San Bernardhinault
    replied
    I want to thank those of you who said you went back to Bitches Brew and had a different experience.

When I was at University back in the early 90s I bought the album and just didn't get it at all. I tried maybe a couple of times and just got distracted and never tried again. I just thought it was one of those things that was too cerebral for me (of which there are many).

I put it on my Spotify yesterday while doing some work that needed a little focus but not a lot of actual thought and I absolutely loved it.

Leave a comment:

• gjw100
    replied
    This is ‘The Time, The Place’ from the second and final album ‘Floratone II’ (2012), with the same line up as before minus Krause, but with Mike Elizondo on bass and Jon Brion keyboards.

Leave a comment:

• gjw100
    replied
    Of all the music released by guitarist Bill Frisell during his long and varied career, the swampy jazz/blues/country rock of his Floratone project with drummer Matt Chamberlain and producers/engineers Lee Townsend and Tucker Martine is probably my favourite. This is ‘Mississippi Rising’ from the 2007 album ‘Floratone’, with guests Viktor Krause bass, Ron Miles cornet and Eivind Kang viola.

Leave a comment:

• gjw100
    replied
    ‘Fifth Movement’ from ‘Symphonic Tone Poem For Brother Yusef’.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X