No announcement yet.

Words only used in one song?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Birdhouse in Your Soul was on the radio the other day and I thought of this thread. Are there any other songs that reference Jason and the Argonauts?

Comment

Jason and the Argonauts - XTC (from English Settlement)...

...and probably one or two prog efforts.

Comment

Dang.

Comment

Probably not too many with "birdhouse" in, thinking about it.

Comment

I'd be surprised if there weren't a few TMBG entries in this.

Comment

Actually, I've never been entirely sure what a "birdhouse" is. Is it just a nestbox by any other name?

Comment

Or perhaps a dovecote?

May I submit "extra-curricular"' from Dancing On A Friday Night by The Darkness, if not done already?
                Last edited by Kevin S; 29-06-2020, 16:12.

Comment

Scratch that, apparently it's also the name of a song by At The Drive In (and in the lyrics).

Comment

As played by Marc Riley on 6Music this evening (which means he must have had a pre-release version come his way as Riley is currently recording his show two weeks ahead of it being broadcast and it appears the track was only made public today), Bill Callahan's Pigeons includes "plenipotentiary". My guess is that that is a first ever usage...

Comment

I thought the Magnetic Fields might be on to a winner with "tchotchkes" in Zebra. But apparently it's featured in four other songs.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
                        "Kemosabe" by Everything Everything is a potentially rich seam for this but I'll do it properly and check them on the site Sporting suggested :

Genuflecting - NO! 10 other results
                        Penitent - NO! 54 other results
                        Monologuing - YES! it's unique, but is it a real word?
                        Kalashnikoving - YES! it's unique, but not a real word
                        Trilobite - NO! 11 other results (including several as a song title)
                        Perps - MAYBE! the site shows 64 other results but most seem to be perp singular (which is also appearing in the results) rather then plural
                        Walt will be delighted to discover that, according to the reference site, Everything Everything's recent single "Arch Enemy" is the only song that mentions "fatberg". And is probably also the only popular (album just went in at number 5 on the UK charts) song about one. Let alone a sentient one.

Comment

Originally posted by statto99 View Post

Walt will be delighted to discover that, according to the reference site, Everything Everything's recent single "Arch Enemy" is the only song that mentions "fatberg". And is probably also the only popular (album just went in at number 5 on the UK charts) song about one. Let alone a sentient one.
                          I am indeed delighted with the Everythings for upping their game and pulling out a genuinely unique one, and good spot. I guess the closest there has been to a previous usage was Ice Cube's "Fatburger" as part of his good day.

Comment

In what would be a hugely niche subset of this thread, my current hometown of Banstead doesn't appear in any song lyrics, including in the song Banstead by Atomic Rooster.

So, words that appear once in song titles but never in song lyrics anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                              Stinkfist (Tool). Possibly several others by Tool actually.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                                In what would be a hugely niche subset of this thread, my current hometown of Banstead doesn't appear in any song lyrics, including in the song Banstead by Atomic Rooster.

Was checking Muse lyrics and came across this very phenomenon with "Exogenesis". Though there is a caveat - this work comes in three parts. Depends whether you consider each movement of a symphony to be a different piece, I suppose. Exogenesis has a Wikipedia entry describing it as "the hypothesis that life originated elsewhere in the universe and was spread to Earth".

Comment

Possibly... Snot — Live and Let Live, Love

Comment

Surely it must appear in Kenny Everett’s Snot Rap (UK Top 10, 1983)?

Comment

Cartologist? Map Ref 41 Degrees N 93 Degrees W by Wire.

Comment

Camber sands and Harold Robbins ​​​​​​; Pulling mussels from a shell by Squeeze.

Comment

Anyone other than Madness refer to Selsey Bill?

Comment

Did we not have a separate thread for obscure place names in song?

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                                              Anyone other than Madness refer to Selsey Bill?
                                              It's in a Jam song - Saturdays Kids

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                                Surely it must appear in Kenny Everett’s Snot Rap (UK Top 10, 1983)?
                                                Never heard of it. British pop was 'Here Be Dragons' territory here in the 80s, with a few exceptions.

Comment

The mythical creature "sqonk" is referred to in Steely Dan's 'Any Major Dude'.

Comment

Also the name of a song by Genesis

Comment

Working...
                                                    X