Words only used in one song?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johnr View Post
    Ms johnr tells me that 'facsimile' was in the Osmonds' 'Let the Reason be Love '.
    That'll be the 1974 number one Love Me For a Reason (as later - appropriately - carbon-copied by Boyzone).

'Honey, give me love - not a facsimile O-OF!' (Cue seventh chorus, followed by blinding smiles.)

Comment

Ah, that's it, ta Jah.

Comment

The word pusillanimous is used in The Rutles "Another Day" which as we all know means timid.

also The Orchids have a song called Thaumaturgy (even though the word isn't used in the song) - means perform miracles.

Comment

If we're talking charting songs rather than album tracks, has Vegemite been used anywhere apart from "Down Under" and Terry Wogan's "The Floral Dance" uses Euphonium.

Comment

Definitely not "popular music" (Rev Lovejoy) but Carcass win this hands down.

Comment

"Colitas" in Hotel California. They give off a warm smell. And no one knows what they are.

Comment

'Niceties' in Massive Attack's 'Safe From Harm'. Someone else may have used it, but I bet they didn't sing it so beautifully.

Comment

Patrick Thistle Cannabis buds, aren't they?

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                    "Colitas" in Hotel California. They give off a warm smell. And no one knows what they are.
                    I'd never thought about it, but I've spent 30 years thinking they were singing "warm smell of cool heat dust"

Comment

I think I spent the best part of three decades thinking that Robert Smith was singing ‘across the Red Sea’ in the opening line of The Cure’s A Forest.

But that’s a different thread, eh?

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post

I'd never thought about it, but I've spent 30 years thinking they were singing "warm smell of cool heat dust"
                        Colitis is the shits, isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post

Colitis is the shits, isn't it?
                          It is, hence the warm smell.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                            I think I spent the best part of three decades thinking that Robert Smith was singing ‘across the Red Sea’ in the opening line of The Cure’s A Forest.

But that’s a different thread, eh?
                            I spent more than 40 years thinking the same. But it's still none too clear to me. The official video:

"Come closer and see"? Takes a lot to convince me.

Of course, the lyrics were once completely different, Or is this At Night?

Comment

3 Colours Red has got the Eagles lyric

Comment

The missus was convinced that they were singing a version of "Warm smell of ocotillos", which makes sense for a desert highway. But ocotillos don't smell much as far as I can tell.

Comment

"Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious"

Comment

I reckon that there are loads of Half Man Half Biscuit songs with lyrics you'd never find anywhere else.

Doubt theres many more songs about Chatteris - a song that features the word "chandler".

Comment

Surprising we've gotten to page 3 without "pompatus" from The Joker.

Comment

Do neologisms count? Even if they do, Steve Miller would later use it in other songs in that constantly self-referential way of his.

Comment

Gilly, Gilly, Ossenfeffer, Katzenellen Bogen by the Sea — Max Bygraves, The Four Lads et al.

Comment

Originally posted by Crystal Staples View Post
                                            'Reminiscing' also appears in Mockingbird by Eminem.

I think we did this a few of years ago and I suggested there were several in British Sea Power tracks, like:

Victorian Ice (whitebait, carbonate, hoopoes, Edwardian)
                                            It Ended on an Oily Stage (elegiac)
                                            Waving Flags (Carpathians, Vistula)
                                            Oh Larsen B (desalinate)
                                            Carrion (brilliantine)
                                            There's Little River Band song called reminiscing (and it has the word in the lyrics too)

Comment

Psychomodo by Cockney Rebel - album and song, but the word isn't mentioned in the lyrics

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                                                I spent more than 40 years thinking the same. But it's still none too clear to me.
                                                Forty years? A Forest was released in April 1980, so I assume you’re just discovering this...now?

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                                  Forty years? A Forest was released in April 1980, so I assume you’re just discovering this...now?
                                                  I am ashamed to say so but yes.

Comment

Oh well, at least I’m not alone.

(Whereas I might be, regarding my 35-year-plus mishearing of the lyrics to Billy Don’t Be a Hero.)

Comment

Working...
                                                    X