Words only used in one song?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
    Monologuing - YES! it's unique, but is it a real word?
    Syndrome to Mr Incredible in The Incredibles:

"You sly dog, you got me monologuing!"
    1:22 here:

So I'd say it counts, definitely.

Comment

Quite a lot from Yothu Yindi.

Comment

Abacinate from Slayer's- Angel Of Death.

And according to note on the genius website,

"Fun fact: the 2007 book Foyle’s Philavery, a compilation of obscure words, includes abacinate, along with the note that this song’s use of the word was the only print example in history they could locate"

Comment

Crystal Staples wrote (Quote function not working):

Victorian Ice (whitebait, carbonate, hoopoes, Edwardian)
          It Ended on an Oily Stage (elegiac)
          Waving Flags (Carpathians, Vistula)
          Oh Larsen B (desalinate)
          Carrion (brilliantine)

Fatima Mansions’ Ciao Ceaucescu has ‘Carpathians’

Comment

'popular song/hit'...

Comment

Must be a few here:

Comment

Originally posted by johnr View Post
                Me and Ms johnr lead an exciting life, and got to talking about the word 'Cahoot' in 'Respect Yourself'. I suggested that it was the only time that word might have been used in a popular song/hit.

Anyway, we then wondered about other words that as far as we know are only used in one song, and came up with

'Tarry' - from Come Up and See Me (Make Me Smile)
                'Onomatopoeia' - Annie, I'm not your Daddy.

All three, fine words and well-used in the songs.
                Let him go, let him tarry

(usual apologies if it's already been spotted)

Comment

Originally posted by ale View Post
                  How many in Bohemian Rhapsody-Scaramouche Silhoueto Bismillah Monstrosity Beelzebub Fandango

Young Dudes-Juvenile Delinquent Unlocked

Ashes To Ashes-Synthesis Sordid

Jean Genie-Beautician Nutrition

Drive In Saturday-Formation Saturation Bureau Snorting

Life On Mars-Tortured Saddening Spit

London Calling-Phony Imitation Truncheon
                  Well, if you mean 'in that particular order', then maybe.

But we did this fairly recently, no?

(Don't know if anyone can find the thread, because the search facility here doesn't really assist in doing so.)

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                    (Don't know if anyone can find the thread, because the search facility here doesn't really assist in doing so.)
                    There's this thread.

Comment

Thanks, that's the fella - five years ago, tbf.

(What expression did you use to locate it? I used 'onomatopoeia', but it only returned 'this' thread.)

Comment

I definitely should have put the word 'popular' in this thread title...

Comment

Originally posted by ale View Post
                          How many in Bohemian Rhapsody-Scaramouche Silhoueto Bismillah Monstrosity Beelzebub Fandango
                          Didn't Procul Harem trip the light fandango? And I'm sure Beelzebub appears in many death metal lyrics, if only anyone could understand them.

Comment

Me and Ms johnr lead an exciting life, and got to talking about the word 'Cahoot' in 'Respect Yourself'. I suggested that it was the only time that word might have been used in a popular song/hit.

Anyway, we then wondered about other words that as far as we know are only used in one song, and came up with

'Tarry' - from Come Up and See Me (Make Me Smile)
                            'Onomatopoeia' - Annie, I'm not your Daddy.

All three, fine words and well-used in the songs.
                            Todd Rundgren did a song called Onamatopoeia

Anyone know the words to any of the The Cocteau Twins songs ?

Comment

No mention of Bad Religion yet? The first verse of '1000 more fools':

I heard them say that the meek shall reign on earth
                              Phantasmal myriads of sane bucolic birth
                              I've seen the rapture in a starving baby's eyes
                              Inchoate beatitude, the Lord of the Flies

Or from Delirium of Disorder:

The anechoic nebula rotating in my brain
                              Is persuading me, contritely, to persist

Last edited by Gert from the Well; 22-06-2020, 17:09.

Comment

Rick Springfield does well with his hit-making use of 'moot' in Jessie's Girl.

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post

There's this thread.
                                  Interesting that, in that thread, Ray mentions my first thought which was "Parallelogram" in "Motorhead" by, well, Motorhead (and Hawkwind before that) but apparently it's not the only usage. I am not sure whether the others are in the five years since then.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post

Interesting that, in that thread, Ray mentions my first thought which was "Parallelogram" in "Motorhead" by, well, Motorhead (and Hawkwind before that) but apparently it's not the only usage. I am not sure whether the others are in the five years since then.
                                    I thought that, perhaps, "Orgasmatron" by Motorhead might be a good one but not only does Prince use it but Motorhead kybosh it themselves with use of it in "Slow Dance". It's almost like they don't realise the competition.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                      Thanks, that's the fella - five years ago, tbf.

(What expression did you use to locate it? I used 'onomatopoeia', but it only returned 'this' thread.)
                                      Maybe you should have tried a word that sounded like it?

Boom, and indeed, tish.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                                        Looks like The Police are the only band to name-check Nabakov.
                                        Not sure who Nabakov is, but if he's the same bloke as Nabokov he (along with a whole bunch of other writers) appears in The Divine Comedy's insanely irritating smugathon The Booklovers.

Comment

Ah, my bad. The site that Sporting linked to upthread indulged my misspelling.

Comment

I definitely should have put the word 'popular' in this thread title...
                                            ...in big, bold letters...

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post

There's this thread.
                                              I want points for "gavotte", held over from last time. You're So Vain might even meet JohnR's criteria.

Comment

The database i linked to isn't perfect. For instance, it seems not to include "snied" (I am the Walrus).

"Snide" is similarly absent, though relatively common on this forum.

Comment

Ms johnr tells me that 'facsimile' was in the Osmonds' 'Let the Reason be Love '.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                                                    The database i linked to isn't perfect. For instance, it seems not to include "snied" (I am the Walrus).

"Snide" is similarly absent, though relatively common on this forum.
                                                    Loads here. (edit - which is the same site you linked to, I didn't realise at first).

Comment

Working...
                                                    X