No announcement yet.

Words only used in one song?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got one - the Kaiser Chiefs had a weird reference to "Smeaton" which I thought was a name from Dickens but now am not so sure.

Comment

Dunno the song, but John Smeaton is often called the father of civil engineering

Comment

Smeaton was, as the song notes, an Old Leodensian, i.e. an ex-Leeds Grammar School boy (like Ricky Wilson).
        Smeaton also has a state school named after him in the city, which is what most Leeds people would think you were referring to if you said "Smeaton".

Comment

Thanks for the explanations. The song was "I Predict a Riot" ursus arctos

Comment

Scunthorpe in Pass Out by Tinie Tempah: "I been Southampton but I've never been to Scunthorpe"

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
              Got one - the Kaiser Chiefs had a weird reference to "Smeaton" which I thought was a name from Dickens but now am not so sure.
              I believe an unrelated Smeaton was embroiled in the trial of Anne Boleyn:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Smeaton

Comment

Tom Waits uses the words “barrettes”, “derrick” and “batwing” in the song ‘Burma Shave’ alone and I’ve never heard them used elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by irony towers View Post
                  Scunthorpe in Pass Out by Tinie Tempah: "I been Southampton but I've never been to Scunthorpe"

Comment

Originally posted by Tony C View Post
                    Tom Waits uses the words “barrettes”, “derrick” and “batwing” in the song ‘Burma Shave’ alone and I’ve never heard them used elsewhere.
                    The Cramps use 'batwing' in 'Sheena's in a Goth Gang'

Comment

Smeaton two veg.

In the Wolf Hall account, Mark Smeaton was bullied by Anne Boleyn because he had a crush on her. He then boasted to Cromwell that he'd had her (to overcompensate for his humiliation) and that was a key opening for Cromwell to go after the others he needed to bring down with her. But historical accounts suggest he was simply tortured until he "confessed" and gave up the other names (perhaps he was also lied to that his life would be spared or he'd have a less cruel method of execution).
                      Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 12-12-2022, 14:30.

Comment

Big black Nemesis! Parthenogenesis!

Comment

Lungfish has a song called Parthenogenesis and yes, it's in the lyrics.

Comment

Apologies if it's been mentioned already but does 'supercilious' get any airings aside from The Sundays' I Won?
                            "Oh your supercilious smile.."

Comment

Hazel O'Connor previously spoke of a 'supercilious smile' in Give Me an Inch, from the Breaking Glass soundtrack (1980).

Comment

Close but no cigar then.

On the subject of Harriet Wheeler and supercilious smiles I saw a tweet a while back about an appearance by The Sundays on a TV show I think to which someone had replied along the lines of, "Can you believe I was actually there and saw her in the flesh that night 25 years ago!" Who should tweet next? Only OTF's favourite unapologetic blackface performer, David Baddiel with a comment like, "Can you believe I was actually at her house for dinner and saw her in the flesh only last weekend!"

​​​​​​​There is clearly no limit to the man's unlikeability.

Comment

Have we had Ian Dury's "This Is What We Find" yet?

Jubblified, waggy, dexterity, Omo, vanitas vanitatum, gratified, uncut.

Comment

This is what playing Googlewhack used to be like. Took a while but I found a word that only appears in one song on lyric.com

"Amlettes" as in young Amish only appears in Amish Paradise by Weird Al Yankovich. Though it's probably not a real word.

Comment

A fewlyrics that I’ve only heard in one sog only:

interventionist - Nick Cave from “”into my arms”

Also Chris Thomson the main man from the fabulous Bathers is a wonderful singer and songwriter but he regularly makes me search on google for the meaning of certain lyrics, eg,

organza - from “Candide” - means a lightweight, sheer, plain-woven fabric

cinnabar - from “Kelvingrove Baby” means - A deep red mineral, mercuric sulfide,

Svetlov - from “Latta’s Dream” - a Russian Composer

soporific - from “Time Regained” - means to induce sleep

Cadmus - from “If Love Could Last Forever” - the first king of Thebes

Comment

That reminds me, Simon & Garfunkel’s For Emily, Whenever I May Find Her features “organdy”.

It also includes “crinoline” but it’s less likely that’s unique.

Comment

Originally posted by treibeis View Post
                                          Have we had Ian Dury's "This Is What We Find" yet?

Jubblified, waggy, dexterity, Omo, vanitas vanitatum, gratified, uncut.
                                          'Dexterity' features in at least two songs by Will 'Fresh Prince' Smith.

Plus a track by LL Cool J. And one by Carcass.

Comment

Clash Straight To Hell -Amerasian. Maybe Beatlemania in London Calling?

Comment

Just occurred to me that Prefab Sprout likely have a few. Might have a Sproutathon, but from memory 'Cruel' boasts "tuppentup", which they may have made up. Also, isn't this the sort of thing Steely Dan would go in for?

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                                                That reminds me, Simon & Garfunkel’s For Emily, Whenever I May Find Her features “organdy”.

It also includes “crinoline” but it’s less likely that’s unique.
                                                Also, America features reference to a man in a 'gabardine suit' - are there any other songs that mention 'gabardine'?

Comment

Gabardine Angus appears in something that I can't quite remember by John Cooper Clarke.

Comment

The winning song is Nature of the Threat by Ras Kass. So many words you only find in that song. The lyrics are a regurgitated mess of half-digested history, a Roget's Thesaurus, and the obsessively homophobic rantings of your second cousin who no-one in your family talks about...

Comment

Working...
                                                    X