Who likes looking at charts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From the same article, acts who have never made the Hot 100:

Jeff Buckley - not only no Hot 100 Singles entries, but Grace peaked at #149 on the Albums Chart.
    Tom Waits
    Dropkick Murphys - never made the Hot 100, but "I'm Shipping Up to Boston" is one of few songs to ever sell over 1,000,000 digital copies in the United States without ever charting on the Billboard Hot 100
    The Runaways
    Iron Maiden
    LCD Soundsystem
    Haim
    Manic Street Preachers

Also one they could have had in the article - Blur only had two entries in the Hot 100, with Girls & Boys peaking at #59

Comment

I have started to compile some stats on the 1940s R&B charts for a chart fanzine I contribute towards (circulation just a few dozen). Something to preserve my sanity while stuck in online teaching while still not able to have confidence I'll get a holiday in Greece this year.

Comment

Evidently the OCC publishes a weekly Americana albums chart, and this is the 2020 "biggest of the year" chart. Not sure what the entrance criteria are - presumably getting reviewed in Uncut is one of them.

The UK's Official Top 20 biggest Americana albums of 2020
        POS TITLE ARTIST
        1 LETTER TO YOU BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN
        2 ROUGH AND ROWDY WAYS BOB DYLAN
        3 EVERMORE TAYLOR SWIFT
        4 SONG FOR OUR DAUGHTER LAURA MARLING
        5 PUNISHER PHOEBE BRIDGERS
        6 HOMEGROWN NEIL YOUNG
        7 WESTERN STARS BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN
        8 GASLIGHTER CHICKS
        9 BLACK PUMAS BLACK PUMAS
        10 III LUMINEERS
        11 STARTING OVER CHRIS STAPLETON
        12 HEY CLOCKFACE ELVIS COSTELLO
        13 REUNIONS JASON ISBELL & THE 400 UNIT
        14 RUN HOME SLOW TESKEY BROTHERS
        15 SAINT CLOUD WAXAHATCHEE
        16 GOOD SOULS BETTER ANGELS LUCINDA WILLIAMS
        17 NASHVILLE TEARS RUMER
        18 THREE CHORDS AND THE TRUTH VAN MORRISON
        19 LOCAL HONEY BRIAN FALLON
        20 TITANIC RISING WEYES BLOOD

Comment

‘Americana’ as a genre seems to grow more nebulous by the month.

Comment

Looking into this out of curiosity, it is compiled on behalf of the Americana Music Association UK and from the start there was debate over what should be included.

Comment

That problem goes back through the history of Billboard to when you'd have Johnnie Ray in the R&B charts. Billboard even stopped doing a soul chart for a while because it was not sufficiently distinct from the pop chart. Similar to Kylie getting into the Indie chart in the late 80s.

Comment

Well, if you're going to include musicians that merely appropriate the culture, homogenise it and sell it back, then authenticity is going to be a huge issue, yes. (Mumford & Sons and their ersatz 'dustbowl chic' should have been ****ed right off regardless of whatever 'new approach' they'd recently taken.)

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                  Similar to Kylie getting into the Indie chart in the late 80s.
                  I was going to mention that, but only to point out that at least when PWL records were in the indie chart it was done on an objective basis (simply whether the label was independently distributed or not) rather than a subjective basis - even if it did crowd out some of the "real" indie acts, there was some easily understood logic to it.

The modern equivalent of this is that BMG is deemed an indie, which means that Steps, Shaky and (co-incidentally) Kylie are all in the current indie albums top 10.

Comment

That indie chart looks meaningless, like compiling a chart just for the sake of it. The purpose of the chart should be to indicate to indie shops what records they should stock, which is best served by sampling those shops I'd imagine.

Comment

That indie chart looks meaningless, like compiling a chart just for the sake of it. The purpose of the chart should be to indicate to indie shops what records they should stock, which is best served by sampling those shops I'd imagine.
                      Ah now then, for that you'll be wanting

the Official Record Store Chart Top 40, the UK's biggest albums of the week sold through 100 UK independent record shops, based on sales of CDs, vinyl and other formats, in partnership with Record Store Day.

but the OCC site keeps freezing in my browser so I can't link to it. But its not that exciting, unless you're on tenterhooks for the fate of Dummy by Portishead (down ten to 17).

Comment

https://www.officialcharts.com/chart...d-store-chart/

'Back To Black' by Amy Winehouse has the most weeks.
                        Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 26-01-2021, 12:03.

Comment

I think we've talked about Americana before (maybe many times haha). It is a messy term. I tend to go with non-mainstream country, folk, and alt-country as a blend.

Some current reggae charts (although I wonder to what degree some are just to cover sponsors or records sent to the site):

https://www.reggae-vibes.com/category/charts/
                          Last edited by danielmak; 26-01-2021, 23:58.

Comment

Capitol had an Americana label in the 40s. Mainly country but also Sonny Terry (blues harmonica):

https://www.discogs.com/label/260061-Capitol-Americana

Comment

Rather than start a short-lived "Who likes looking at tour dates" thread, I'll put this here.

50 years ago yesterday (I meant to post it yesterday), The Rolling Stones started their "Goodbye Britain" tour, as the name suggests being their last tour before becoming tax exiles.

These were the dates (wiki suggests there were two shows at each venue except for Leeds and the Marquee, although when I heard this on a podcast last week, they reckoned it was only one show per venue, but that could have been mixing up "nights" and "shows"):

4th March - City Hall, Newcastle
                              5th - Free Trade Hall, Manchester
                              6th - Criterion Theatre, Coventry
                              8th - Green's, Glasgow
                              9th - C****** Hall, Bristol
                              10th - Regent Cinema, Brighton
                              12th - Empire Theatre, Liverpool
                              13th - University Refectory, Leeds
                              14th - Roundhouse, London
                              26th - Marquee, London

T​​​heir previous UK live appearance was the free show at Hyde Park in 1969 in front of upwards of quarter of a million people.

What is shows is how small the UK touring circuit (particularly outside of London) was compared to America and much of the rest of Europe at the time. Although on the other hand at least those who did get tickets got to see the band (and other huge acts of course) without needing binoculars to see them.

On their next UK tour in 1973 they played similar venues in the provinces - City Hall again, Green's again (renamed the Apollo), the Birmingham Odeon and Kings Hall in Manchester) but did play to bigger crowds in London with four nights at the then Empire Pool.

Comment

A rolling bar chart at this link enables you to see Chartwatch's calculations of the decade top 10 for each rolling period (Year zero being 1953):

https://chartwatchmagazine.blogspot.com/

Comment

A rolling bar chart at this link enables you to see Chartwatch's calculations of the decade top 10 for each rolling period (Year zero being 1953):

https://chartwatchmagazine.blogspot.com/
                                  ooh, that is genuinely great!

Comment

Perhaps of interest to folks who post to/read this thread to keep it all in one spot and my other post can drift down the pages.

https://www.muzieklijstjes.nl/MojoHowToBuy.htm

Comment

Working...
                                    X