This week's music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This week's music

I don't want to interrupt the Police Brutality thread with it, but I think some people would be interpreted in a mix I put up of protests soul tracks from the 1960s and '70s. It's actually the third such a mix I've made over the years.

The new Protest Soul mix is HERE. The first two are HERE and HERE.

It occurs to me that some people might be interested to be alerted to new posts, so if I remember, I'll use this thread to do that.

Last week was he litany of music people who died in May.

This week: the lesser-known original versions of songs that became standards for Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin and Sammy Davis Jr., and the stories behind some of them.

Including Fly Me To The Moon, Strangers In The Night, Everybody Loves Somebody, My Way, I’ve Got You Under My Skin, Volare, Fly Me To The Moon, I’ve Gotta Be Me, Something Stupid, Sway, I Get A Kick Out Of You and more...

Comment

Volare is a great quiz question of the highest selling Eurovision song, everyone will say Waterloo.

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
        This week: the lesser-known original versions of songs that became standards for Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin and Sammy Davis Jr., and the stories behind some of them.

Including Fly Me To The Moon, Strangers In The Night, Everybody Loves Somebody, My Way, I’ve Got You Under My Skin, Volare, Fly Me To The Moon, I’ve Gotta Be Me, Something Stupid, Sway, I Get A Kick Out Of You and more...

Been reading. Great stuff.

Comment

Up now: a review of the music deaths in June. I count 49 (down from the past few carnage months), with brief treatment of nine of them.

Comment

A collection of hits from 1970, some well-known and others rather forgotten.

"Ride Captain Ride" by Blues Image sounds like the link between CCR (also featured) and the likes of Steely Dan or The Doobie Brothers who'd appear a couple of years later.

Comment

Up now: a review of the music deaths in June. I count 49 (down from the past few carnage months), with brief treatment of nine of them.
              ...and die-hards (sorry...) can follow/contribute same on a daily basis via this Facebook group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/6303...?ref=bookmarks

Comment

A collection of hits from 1970, some well-known and others rather forgotten.

"Ride Captain Ride" by Blues Image sounds like the link between CCR (also featured) and the likes of Steely Dan or The Doobie Brothers who'd appear a couple of years later.
                Thanks, G-Man. I was born in 1970 and a few years ago someone bought me a 1970 hits compilation on CD. I thought I'd link to it to compare and contrast. I think the only song on both compilations is The Beach Boys - Cotton Fields.

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Top-...elease/2561952

Comment

A couple of those were on my shortlist. Glen Campbell's "Honey Come Back" (though it is so inferior to to the original), "All Right Now", "Rag Mama Rag", and the Four Tops song.

Comment

Another mix of lesser-known originals of big hits from the 1960s, such as "Louie Louie", "I Am A Rock", "Turn! Turn! Turn!", "Silence Is Golden", "Dedicated To The One I Love", "Hang On Sloopy", "By The Time I Get To Phoenix", "Your My World"...

Comment

A mix of tracks featuring falsetto vocals.

Comment

Lesser-known originals of big 1980s hits.

Comment

Good work G-Man.

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                            X