Artists you like more than their music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post

Ditto Badly Drawn Boy, who, while I'm not a huge fan of his work, was also a very nice guy.
    Did you read his Q & A thingy in the Guardian the other day? He came across, as you say, as a sound bloke.

Comment

I also like his music

Comment

Someone really doesn't like him, but I can't think who it is.

Comment

It's John Shuttleworth/Graham Fellows. No, seriously. Gough explained why in an interview with 6Music a few days ago.

Comment

Intriguing. Can you precis it for us Janik??

Comment

I like Jarvis (Cocker, the pop singer) and his music

Comment

My Dad thought Lady Gaga was absolutely wonderful after she appeared on the Graham Norton show. He never listened to her music though.

Comment

Charlotte Church tweets some interesting stuff these days. I think she's grown up a lot and seems pretty well grounded now.

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                    Intriguing. Can you precis it for us Janik??
                    I'm guessing it has something to do with this? (Apologies for the source.)

https://www.thesun.co.uk/archives/ne...ehaving-badly/

For whatever reason, that story completely passed me by at the time.

Comment

One for the strange bills thread (though I suppose random line ups are more likely at charity gigs):

Fellow performers at the London Palladium were Sooty and Sweep, Bill Bailey, Toyah Willcox and Chas & Dave.

I've only seen Badly Drawn Boy perform once, and while he was clearly hammered, he was endearingly hammered on that occasion.

Comment

^That is quite bizarre, even for a charity event. Add one metal band and you'd almost have 'Puppet Show & Spinal Tap'...

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                        Did you read his Q & A thingy in the Guardian the other day? He came across, as you say, as a sound bloke.
                        Can't say as I did. What was he saying? (The time I met him [July 2000 or thereabouts], he was asking me for advice about his imminent baby.)

Comment

he was asking me for advice about his imminent baby

"I've been watching Finding Nemo recently - I watched it first time around with my oldest son, my older two are 19 and 18 and now I've got a three-year-old, so I'm going back to films I saw with my older two. Some of it can be mind-numbing. Watching Mr Tumble on CBeebies again... Teletubbies... But when you get a great family film, it's alright - Finding Nemo's up there with the best."

https://www.theguardian.com/music/li...ana-skin-shoes

Comment

Oh my crikey, that's priceless. For sheer concentrated surreal brilliance, this trio of successive sentences will take some beating in any writing I read any time soon:

He later complained he couldn’t see anyone because he was wearing sunglasses.

When an audience member suggested he take them off, he snarled: “Come up here and suck my c***.”

Fellow performers at the London Palladium were Sooty and Sweep, Bill Bailey, Toyah Willcox and Chas & Dave.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                              Charlotte Church tweets some interesting stuff these days. I think she's grown up a lot and seems pretty well grounded now.
                              Her parents appeared on the C4 show Four in a Bed a couple of years ago to plug their B&B. They were horrible. Their guest house was like a paean to their daughter; ok, be proud of what she has achieved and done, but photos and memorabilia of CC were everywhere and they constantly dropped references to her in any conversation. They were utterly classless and obnoxious when visiting the other B&B's; frequently leaving meetings/meals/presentations to take "important" phone calls (no other guests have done this that I've seen on any of these programmes) and yawning and being obviously bored in front of the other competitors when they were saying anything. Charlotte may have grown up recently, but on the evidence of that programme, her parents need to do so too.

Comment

Mark E Smith the ultimate one of these for my money. I mean I quite liked The Fall without really being a fan, but every time he was in the music press an interview with him would be the first thing I'd turn to.

Comment

Lewis Capaldi.

I've no idea (and frankly couldn't care) if he's a decent bloke or not, but I really, really, really, REALLY fucking hate his music.

Comment

Yes. I suppose that's a fair call: an artist could be completely neutral in your eyes - or even mildly objectionable - but if you really, really cannot stand his music, then that combination qualifies him for this thread.

There are certainly a good few in that camp for me.

Comment

I bet Sooty n Sweep were off their faces too but the lame stream media isn’t interested in proper entertainers

Comment

I heard Sooty was so far gone he couldn't even speak.

Comment

I'm going to add Billie Eilish to the list - whenever I see her interviewed she comes across as funny, intelligent and articulate and not at all how I'd perceived she would be.

I don't much care for her output, but she's the real deal.

Comment

Tinie Tempah, he’s good value. I must have heard a song or two on Graham Norton but can’t remember. I do remember enjoying his contribution in the chat though.

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                                              I heard Sooty was so far gone he couldn't even speak.
                                              I rarely laugh, but that one got one.

Comment

I don’t think I’ve ever shared that as a young boy I had this alarm clock. Sooty’s boxing arm moved up and down with each tick and tock.

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post
                                                  I rarely laugh, but that one got one.
                                                  So proud pebble mate, I'm pleased to hear it!

And Sits, that's cracking. I love that it doesn't simply have a nice picture of Sooty and Sweep, but instead not only decides to depict them knocking seven bells (no pun intended) out of each other but actually has an extra 'hand' that enables it.

Edit: Here's my own nearest equivalent, by the way:

Last edited by Various Artist; 03-06-2020, 13:24.

Comment

Originally posted by The Red Max View Post
                                                    Lewis Capaldi.

I've no idea (and frankly couldn't care) if he's a decent bloke or not, but I really, really, really, REALLY fucking hate his music.
                                                    I don't know whether to find his "just some bloke"... thing... refreshing or a bit contrived. It all just seems that he sometimes goes a bit too far to want to prove how normal and grounded he still is.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X