23 Skidoo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

23 Skidoo

Just been re-finding them...what an incredibly diverse back catalogue, from Kundalini... to this, which is currently on repeat at gt3 Towers https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCjCyuvfrFQ

I have Tearing up the Plans, and gave it a listen last night.

Comment

They're still going, or were as recently as last year when they played at the 100 Club.

There's a bunch of those industrial/funk/electronic bands who blur into one a bit for me, which must be a disservice to their individual qualities; 23 Skidoo, Finitribe, Chakk, 400 Blows, Shriekback, even Cabaret Voltaire. I've got Andrew Weatherall's Nine O'clock Drop compilation album somewhere and should dig it out.

Comment

I really enjoyed that (don't say it...) 'angular' (you said it...) sound: there were a few others as well, including APB and Stimulin, plus all the 'ig' bands (Rip Rig, Pigbag, Higsons) doing a more standard post-punk/funk thing. (23 Skidoo probably fitted more alongside those guys, and maybe Gang Of Four and the Cabs, who worked with them.)

Finitribe remain one of my favourite acts - the fact that they remained virtually anonymous for over thirty years only adds to their charm.
        Last edited by Jah Womble; 21-05-2020, 09:10.

Comment

[QUOTE=Jah Womble;n2295920]I really enjoyed that (don't say it...) 'angular' (you said it...) sound: there were a few others as well, including APB and Stimulin, plus all the 'ig' bands (Rip Rig, Pigbag, Higsons) doing a more standard post-punk/funk thing. (23 Skidoo probably fitted more alongside those guys, and maybe Gang Of Four and the Cabs, who worked with them.)

/QUOTE]

Would you include This Heat and The Pop Group in this bunch?

Comment

The Pop Group certainly - various members went on to play with Rip, Rig + Panic, Pigbag, New Age Steppers, etc. They were the pioneers, IMO.

This Heat always felt like a different kind of thing to me, more self-consciously avant-garde/experimental. (23 Skidoo have cited them as an influence, however.)

Comment

rewa

Comment

One of many bands whose name I only know from reading the front of those Peel Sessions album covers many years ago. England was like a foreign country to a young Canadian boy....

Comment

Ooh, I really wanted to like them. Not so much their music (I bought the debut LP and really like IY from that), but their style and attempt to reach out and fuse pop with other musical genres. Felt the same about a lot of their contemporaries like Rip Rig, Pop Group, Clock DVA and Pigbag. All had a few great tracks, but it mostly seemed either dull or noise.

Comment

My pal Pete knew them and it’s his work leaving do tonight so I’ll try to get some gen.

A lot easier if it was the traditional wine/nibbles/speeches/pub/curry marathon rather than an hour on zoom

Comment

As expected it was an hour of work anecdotes, a speech and a toast but will be seeing him again

Comment

Working...
                      X