X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

XTC - Mayor of Simpleton

Comment

Rush - The Garden

My mother is almost certainly dying. Leaving aside my rational belief in well, everything, this one is tricky. Understatement of the decade.

It seems foolish to project meaning or to take comfort from music but....I always have. Rush in particular, so indulge me.

Comment

I'm so sorry

Comment

Thank you. In all, rational, honesty it would be an escape for her. For those of us left behind, perhaps not so much.

This is where my brain and my heart diverge.

Comment

Having been through it with both my parents, I appreciate how awful it can be.

Rational thought doesn't really "work" in such circumstances, but at the same time it can sometimes provide comfort if one is wired that way.

Take care of yourself. Know that we are here for you.

Comment

My sincere sympathies.

Comment

Dreadfully sorry to hear about your mum, Toby. My sympathies.

The Garden is a beautiful track. I think I've linked to it on here before, possibly when Neil Peart died.

Comment

Sorry to hear that Toby.

Comment

Really sorry to hear that Toby.

Comment

My sympathies, Toby. I have always found music to be a very helpful tool: can capture a range of emotions, can serve as something in which we lose ourself, can help narrate our experiences.

Comment

Thanks all. Positive news (as related on the Mundane Thread) has freed up some mindspace for idiocy like this:

The Chats - Smoko

Comment

Very sorry to hear about your mum Toby.

After watching my dad's funeral service on Thursday via webcam (surreal), I have had for several days now a Neil Diamond earworm. Neil Diamond's music was a link between my dad and my younger sister, who had been to a couple of concerts together. He went into the service to Holly Holy and left to Sweet Caroline, he had his service all planned out several months ago. Never been a Diamond fan, now I can't get his voice out of my head.

Comment

Thanks, BI, and condolences to you too.

Comment

On the Neil Diamond front, I have to say that this song always felt a bit cheesy but I really like it:

Comment

Nick Drake - Northern Sky

Comment

Titanium - David Guetta ft. Sia:

Last edited by Nocturnal Submission; 25-07-2020, 16:04.

Comment

Thanks to fucking Twitter, Hughie Fucking Green, “Stand Up and be Counted”

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=64z16Vd69Vs

Comment

My Name Is Jonas - Weezer:

Comment

If you like James Blake, Khushi is in the same vein (he worked as a producer on some of Blake's tracks):

Comment

Corey Hart - Sunglasses at Night

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
                                            Corey Hart - Sunglasses at Night

There was a series called Liner Notes that ran in a bar here. Basically people would talk for 15 minutes or so about a record that they thought was interesting, impacted their life, or the like. I did one early in the series. Anyway, a woman who works in a cool bookstore/zine shop did a talk about Corey Hart that was great. Part teen fangirl part adult karaoke. Super funny and interesting.

Comment

Menswear - Daydreamer

Comment

The Real Kids, "All Kindsa Girls" (Boston power pop, proto-punk band from the late 70s):

Comment

Human League - Mirror Man

I love the Motown-ish rhythm section on this and fantastic chorus. I'm not sure why the video features Donald Campbell's death (an allusion to the opening verse maybe?):

Comment

Max Richter - On The Nature Of Daylight (Entropy)

Comment

Working...
                                                    X