• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Miles Davis soundtracks

https://twitter.com/coenesqued/status/1241272059063222272?s=20

aka Lift To The Scaffold. Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjURPebrbrY

Comment

Although this is very impressive and the music is ace, not everything in Miles' autobiography is true. Miles apparently saw the private screening and then spent three weeks in his hotel room with a piano working out the score's basic structure. During this time he also, again apparently, rewatched the sequences he was scoring several times. And there were four other musicians (Barney Wilen, René Urtreger, Pierre Michelot and Kenny Clarke). The recording session took four hours.

Comment

“Siesta” or is it “Fiesta”? A Costner film soundtrack cobbled together from bits of old Sketches Of Spain soundtrack someone found lying around. Or that was the story that emerged a bit later. It’s actually quite good in a cliches of Spain way.

Comment

Siesta. Nothing to do with Sketches Of Spain. Largely written and performed by Marcus Miller, who was Miles' chief collaborator at the time (the Tutu/Amandla period), with minor contributions from John Scofield, Jason Miles and I think Earl Klugh.
          To be honest it's not a bad recording but although they were jointly credited for obvious reasons its far more a Marcus Miller album than a Miles Davis one.

Comment

.....and Costners not in it either. I’m confusing it with one that Costner plays a old looking student who gets mixed up with a drug lords mistress on his holidays. So does Miles not appear on the Siesta soundtrack at all?

Comment

Oh Miles certainly plays on it and there is an occasional glimmer of the old fire, but, as many of his performances were at this stage of his life (largely due to his continuing ill-health), there's not much substance there and his overall contribution is nowhere near as great as Marcus Miller's.

Comment

As it's relative to the thread title, I just listened to the 'A Tribute to Jack Johnson' soundtrack - not one you often hear mentioned in Miles's canon, but an absolute belter of a record.

Comment

I think it's one of the absolute best. Shivers from start (where John McLaughlin apparently set the groove going before Miles was even in the studio, turning up late) to that amazing final piece of narration.

Comment

Great to see some love for 'Jack Johnson' - after 'Bitches Brew' it's probably my favourite Miles album although, as you say, imp, it's often overlooked for some reason. I bought the 'Complete JJ Sessions' boxed set when it came out a few years back. If I remember correctly the original producer Teo Macero was quite scathing about the release of what he thought of as sub-standard additional material. He may have been correct but to my less-educated ears it sounds great, and is well worth it for the alternate takes of the two tracks that made it to the original recording (a perfect illustration of Macero's cut 'n' paste recording style), and many other complete songs and fragments from the JJ sessions that either stayed in the vaults or turned up on later albums from the period.

Comment

Not a soundtrack but I heard 'Miles in the Sky' yesterday and it is a monster of a record. Fantastic.

Comment

The Quietus tweeted a link to an old article about TQ friendly musicians' favourite Miles Davis albums the other day. The early '70s are heavily represented, with Jack Johnson getting a couple of shouts.

Comment

I was reading Rob Roberge's excellent memoir 'Liar' at the weekend and came across this, when he's talking about one of his early girlfriends, Sasha: "Sasha grew up in the south of France and looks like Jeanne Moreau fresh off the screen from Elevator to the Gallows. You hear Miles Davis's astounding soundtrack from that film pulsing and rushing through you every time you look into her eyes."

Really must get around to watching/listening to this.

Comment

Originally posted by imp View Post

Really must get around to watching/listening to this.
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyxweSA5Bdw

Comment

Working...
                            X