Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He knew when to fold 'em

Kenny Rogers has died, aged 81.
    Representatives of Rogers’ family said the singer died peacefully at home from natural causes
    Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 21-03-2020, 08:41.

RIP, that’s a real shame.

Comment

Sits has preempted my suggested title of 'So That's What Condition His Condition Was In'.

Comment

...or ‘you picked a fine time to leave us’.

RIP, Kenny. Just Dropped In and Ruby remain great tracks.

Comment

A vote here for 'Coward of the County', if only for the Proustian rush of recollection it prompts as a staple of the rugby club jukebox where I grew up.
          Last edited by Ray de Galles; 21-03-2020, 09:54.

Comment

Kenny and Dolly

They look like they're having such a good time.

Comment

They really do.

Comment

Ireland's Industry. That is what we are

A top 5

5 Gambler
                4 Coward
                3 Lucille
                2 Islands
                1 Ruby

RIP

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
                  Kenny and Dolly

They look like they're having such a good time.

Never knew until this morning that the Bee Gees wrote that. But listening to it now it's obvious.

Comment

He was a great singer. Someone on the radio said he sang every song as if it was his experience. But he didn't actually write many songs himself.

Islands in the Stream has been pastiched far too many times but it's a beautiful song. The Gambler was my favourite though.

Comment

I always thought that his beard was a thing of great sculpted beauty.

The BBC tribute referred to the various genres he performed in: jazz, folk, psychedelia and then finally country.
                      Last edited by Nocturnal Submission; 21-03-2020, 14:50.

Comment

I think this is the first non-coronavirus story to hit the top 10 on the BBC News "most read" all week. Like an artist getting a stray song in amongst the latest Ed Sheeran album.

Comment

Apparently the Bee Gees wrote "Island In The Stream" for Marvin Gaye. I'm trying to imagine it, but simply can't.

I've always had a soft spot for Kenny Rogers, who really could sell a story. "Lucille" is a really great song. Though I can't do much with his (and The New Edition's) version of "Ruby, Don't Take Your Love To Town". That version is rather mediocre when compared to other versions, especially the re-recording in 1976 by Mel Tillis, who co-wrote the song.

Comment

Anybody know his final words ? Just in case there was an ace in there.

Comment

I'd've gone with something along the lines of “somewhere he broke even” as the thread title

Comment

Working...
                              X