Musicians and the Coronavirus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Musicians and the Coronavirus

As we know most musicians earn from touring.

soon there probably won’t be any tours

so think how you can support musicians

[URL]https://twitter.com/b0bhardy/status/1236074446307438592?s=21[/URL]

SXSW has been cancelled.

Comment

Originally posted by delicatemoth View Post
      SXSW has been cancelled.
      Coachella likely to follow suit (talk of it being delayed to October rather than cancelled completely though). SXSW is of course a big showcase for acts, from which they can get deals/bookings that will set them up for some time, so it's even more of a blow for them.

Over here Reading and Leeds have just emailed out saying "business as usual, no plans to cancel", which (while factually true) may come back and haunt them. Lots of worry among the Glastonbury-going online community as well.

Comment

Pearl Jam have postponed their North American tour, and bands are obviously cancelling dates in Italy at present.

However at the same time there are still big announcements being made for the summer - BST (Hyde Park) and All Points East have each announced new days, and Lady Gaga has announced a stadium tour, all within the last few days. I'm surprised they are still able to place cancellation insurance for these events, unless they are relying on existing policies that they are confident of being able to cash in.

Comment

SXSW has been cancelled.
          SXSW have confirmed their insurance excluded epidemics, virus outbreaks etc, and they have laid off many of their "year round" employees.

Comment

That's going to be really rough for Austin, isn't it?

I never realised Coachella was a place. Always thought it seemed an odd name for a festival.

Comment

On a much smaller scale, I've had my first cancellation as a gig-goer - American act doing a European tour which now isn't viable so the whole tour has been pulled (the UK dates are sold out, so I suspect when they are rearranged they will be in bigger venues to repair the financial damage).

I'm seeing numerous examples of other bands cancelling Italian dates and adding others in "safer" countries at short notice. I also follow on Twitter the management company for a lot of alternative/independent acts and it sounds like they had a hell of a day yesterday dealing with cancellations and rearrangements.

Comment

I never realised Coachella was a place. Always thought it seemed an odd name for a festival.
                I didn’t until relatively recently. It sounds like the princess of the buses.

Comment

Coachella's not really a place. That whole southern Palm Springs sprawl merges one town into another, none of which really have any meaningful identity or center. You wouldn't be able to find the middle of Coachella, nor know when you got in to town from Indian Wells or La Quinta or Indio or whichever of those other towns is actually adjacent.

I do feel very sorry for all the businesses down at the southern end of the Valley who are dependent on the cash influx the festival (and Stagecoach, the country festival the week after) brings in.

Comment

Gatherings of more than 500 to be banned in Scotland for "a number of weeks" (at least that is the intent, pending the outcome of the Cobra meeting this afternoon), with obvious consequences for live music.

Just before that announcement I got an email about the The Who's whole tour (due to start next week) being postponed.

Comment

The WHO declared this a pandemic yesterday, so it's little surprise.

Comment

Originally posted by Auntie Beryl View Post
                        The WHO declared this a pandemic yesterday, so it's little surprise.
                        After previous virus outbreaks, they said they won't get fooled again, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
                          Gatherings of more than 500 to be banned in Scotland for "a number of weeks" (at least that is the intent, pending the outcome of the Cobra meeting this afternoon), with obvious consequences for live music.

Just before that announcement I got an email about the The Who's whole tour (due to start next week) being postponed.
                          That'll have a serious impact on the Glasgow economy. Not just no hydro, but smaller venues like the Academy/Barras must have thousands in there every week.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post

That'll have a serious impact on the Glasgow economy. Not just no hydro, but smaller venues like the Academy/Barras must have thousands in there every week.
                            Absolutely - the live music scene in Glasgow is usually in rude health, as I witness on a regular basis. Plus the Kings Theatre, Theatre Royal, the Concert Hall, and so on. The Barras is less used these days, and I haven't checked what they have scheduled (other than the Mary Chain gig I'm supposed to be going to next week) but I fear for some of the venues if they effectively have to close for up to three months. They still haven't announced it officially, and if it does come in it will be after the Old Firm match on Sunday.

Comment

Creative Scotland (rightly) deems venues that put on plays hardly anyone cares about worthy of subsidy. Perhaps they (with increased funding from the fairly culturally barren outside Sturgeon Liking Books Scottish Govt) should subsidise some of these "iconic" music venues in the result of inevitable financial difficulties.

It's bad enuf The Arches has gone as both a club and fairly avant-garde theatre cos the polis are cunts about eccies and licensing. Making it a fuckin weekend farmers market doesn't cut it, this was one of the most impt club venues in Europe, Tresor of the North. I guess the sub club paid the cops off better re pilled up mad bastars.
                              Last edited by Lang Spoon; 14-03-2020, 03:15.

Comment

They've announced a small businesses support package, of which music venues are being presented as the high profile beneficiaries. Seems its only rate relief and some small cash grants, so may be of limited use, but it's something. Think it said it would apply to all but six venues, based on capacity, so wonder which side of that the Barras sits (depends how they class the arenas and SEC I guess). Many of the smaller venues (Garage, Cathouse etc) depend as much on the night club side of the business as they do on live music, so remains to be seen how clubs are affected/restricted. The really small ones are often above or below a bar/restaurant so again depends on how takings hold up.

Comment

As far as I can ascertain, the first western recording artists to have died from the virus is Marcelo Peralta, a 59-year-old Madrid-based Argentinian multi-genre saxophonist, composer and teacher, who died on Wednesday.

Comment

Jesus, 59-year-olds are now succumbing to this? Or did he have some kind of underlying health issue?

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
                                    ...(other than the Mary Chain gig I'm supposed to be going to next week)....
                                    Not happening, but I’m sure you know that by now.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                      Jesus, 59-year-olds are now succumbing to this? Or did he have some kind of underlying health issue?
                                      The only English-language article I could find says nothing about underlying conditions (which doesn't suggest the absence of one, of course), though it notes he was was one of the youngest Covid-19 victims in Europe. So poor Marcelo's death is treated as an outlier.

Comment

Being a smoker could be considered an underlying condition, or so I read.

The pandemic is very bad news for the classical music world, needless to say. My local orchestra is canceling concerts and has scrapped its international tour (scheduled for next week), as you would expect. They'll be freaking out about the financial picture right now.

Comment

I'm afraid that this is going to drive a significant number of cultural institutions to the wall

Classical music, jazz and opera are particularly vulnerable given the demographics of their audience

Comment

Ours is asking ticket holders to donate their tickets for canceled concerts instead of taking a rain check. I'd been really looking forward to Berg's Lulu in May, seems pretty doubtful now.

Comment

We just renewed our Carnegie Hall subscriptions and will do the same for the Met next month.

The Met is streaming recent performances, which is a public service

Comment

The owners of a lot of Broadway shows that are licensed to schools is allowing them to stream their performances.

http://www.playbill.com/article/live...ke-of-covid-19

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                                  Not happening, but I’m sure you know that by now.
                                                  Yes, part of a flood of cancellation notifications which I had from Ticketmaster and elsewhere. This has calmed down now, but the latest thing is now ticket sale dates for previously announced autumn tours being postponed. There are still some optimists announcing shows in May (2020 not 2021).

Comment

Working...
                                                  X