Eurovision 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eurovision 2020

No funny title and I'm certain this thread won't be the used on the night but...

Russia has chosen Little Big to represent them. Little Big, performer of songs such as Russian Hooligans, Life In The Trash, Give Me Your Money, and Big Dick.

Everyday I'm Drinking
    Last edited by Levin; 02-03-2020, 20:56.

The UK's, not for the first time, is a worthy enough ballad that is quite a nice song (would be a passable Bond theme) but is just not what anyone's looking for at Eurovision and will end up with 10 points from Cyprus, 2 from Malta and 1 from Ireland.

Comment

Well if you don't take risks you can't be criticised when you fail.

Comment

Someone yesterday shared this with me. Iceland's entry. I haven;t watched Eurovision for years but this seems way too good to be in it. And the video is good too

Comment

That is an awesome song and video.

Watch it not even get through the semi-finals

Comment

Can’t get it to play. Any Nordic linguists here to advise on how to pronounce the 3rd letter?

Comment

It's a th sound isn't it?

Comment

That is brilliant. Thanks, ad hoc.

Comment

Originally posted by Levin View Post
                  It's a th sound isn't it?
                  It is but it's one of two.

Þ is the 'th' in thick, thin and Thor.

ð is the 'th' in this, that and the.

Comment

Hermann Hreidarsson, for example, is actually Hermann Hreiðarsson. It always bugged me that the 'eth' got changed to a 'd' in English when we'd be perfectly comfortable saying 'Hreitharsson' with a soft 'th'.

Comment

Isn't that a hard 'th' Kev?

Þ is the soft 'th' in thick, thin and Thor, or breath.

ð is the hard 'th' in this, that and the, or breathe.

So "Hrei∂" is functionally the same sound as in "writhe".

In Welsh, it would be spelled Hreiddarsson to the same effect: the 'dd' is a hard-th sound, e.g. "dydd" (day) is pronounced "deethe".

Put that way, Icelandic pronunciations suddenly became a lot easier to remember, from my point of view.
                      Last edited by Various Artist; 05-03-2020, 15:18.

Comment

Er... yes. Somehow I've always remembered which sound is Þ and which is ð but it would appear I've also always had the terms hard and soft the wrong way around..

Comment

I also wouldn't have known which sound was labelled "hard" and which "soft". Surely the more useful phonetic terms are "voiced" (for the th in that) and "unvoiced" (for the th in thing)? Certainly that was the terminology when I did some linguistics options in my languages degree back in the 1980s.

Comment

That's the more technical terminology that I was exposed to as well, but the hard/soft thing is more common in regular conversation, at least over here (though usually with individual consonants, not dipthongs).

See also "long/short" for vowels.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                              Someone yesterday shared this with me. Iceland's entry. I haven;t watched Eurovision for years but this seems way too good to be in it. And the video is good too
                              It's been bugging me all day but I've finally realised who the lead singer reminds me of - World Darts number 1 Michael Van Gerwen

Last edited by Simon G; 05-03-2020, 19:37.

Comment

Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post
                                I also wouldn't have known which sound was labelled "hard" and which "soft". Surely the more useful phonetic terms are "voiced" (for the th in that) and "unvoiced" (for the th in thing)? Certainly that was the terminology when I did some linguistics options in my languages degree back in the 1980s.
                                Yes, indeed, but I was just checking I'd got Kev's point correctly before I started talking about voiced alveolar fricatives or whatever...!

Comment

Eurovision aren't in as immediate need to decide on proceeding as other events, but appear close to cancelling:

https://twitter.com/Eurovision/status/1239907629834612737

Comment

I'd forgotten Eurovision. They'll almost certainly postpone that, yeah.

Comment

https://twitter.com/Eurovision/status/1240267936981569538

Comment

Damn, the year that the UK finally comes up with a nailed on, unbeatable strategy that has winner written through it like a stick of rock and this happens.

Comment

All of this year's songs that never got performed will be played on 2 youtube broadcasts, tonight and thursday (the planned nights for the 2 semis). Search for Eurovision Song Celebration.

It's a nice idea, as none of these songs are allowed to in next year's as they have to be original (artists can come back, but only with new songs).

It's totally non-competitive, no voting, but we could always have an OTF poll.

Comment

Love you Rogin.

Are they showing the music videos or under finals rules performances?

Comment

The ones so far seem to be from their respectively qualifying finals. I can imagine Macedonia's would have been played around a lot of holiday pools this summer.
                                              Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 12-05-2020, 19:26.

Comment

Ireland's by Lesley Roy is a straight up and down Katy Perry style pop banger.

Comment

Oh, Russia's, "Uno" by Little Big, is eurovision heaven.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X