New Music for 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Music for 2020

OK. I didn't start a new thread, busy etc.

But nobody else did.

And we deserve a new thread. Because music helps us escape from stuff. And brings great joy.

So, here's Jonathan Bree, off of his forthcoming album. Oh yes, this includes his long-term collaborator, the all-round amazingness of PRINCESS CHELSEA, everyone!

Ideal thread starter content, this.

The new Moses Boyd album came out last week. It's as good as I expected. He's quite a talent.

6 Music have been playing songs from the new Thundercat album due in April. That sounds great too.

Comment

Alesandro Cortini (who has been on fire the past five years post NIN going all modular synth) and Daniel Avery have an amazing sounding collab album coming out.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony C View Post
        The new Moses Boyd album came out last week. It's as good as I expected. He's quite a talent.
        Stranger Than Fiction was great - only heard a couple of other tracks, but will check it out.

I'm liking the Holy F album a lot, and also Max Cooper's new stuff. And Jehnny Beth. And some others.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post

Stranger Than Fiction was great - only heard a couple of other tracks, but will check it out.
          I would strongly recommend Dark Matter. It's really good.

Comment

Wound You — Sarah Slean & Hawksley Workman

Comment

This morning I have mostly been listening to;

Denzel Curry and Kenny Beats - Unlocked
              The Homesick - The Big Exercise
              Lanterns on the Lake - Spook the Herd.

Enjoying them immensely too. Plus the new Orielles album is out next week, which is exciting. Interview with them in the Guardian today https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...-for-the-stars

Comment

I've pretty much only been listening to Destroyer lately. I think the new album is outstanding, the opening track is Bejar at his best.

Comment

New Phoebe Bridgers. It doesn't sound any different than her last record, but that's ok with me:

Comment

quite excited for ani glass' new album next week.

Comment

Mrs Thistle bought me Country Fuzz by The Cadillac Three as a 'well done for surviving a tough day' gift.

If you like countrified rock/ rockified country then you'll probably like it. If you don't like that sort of sound you probably won't. Every other song is about booze. Sounds good in the car.

Comment

Oh my. I've just listened to the new Bill Fay album twice, all the way through.

What. A. Voice.

https://billfay.bandcamp.com/album/c...deluxe-edition

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                          Mrs Thistle bought me Country Fuzz by The Cadillac Three as a 'well done for surviving a tough day' gift.

If you like countrified rock/ rockified country then you'll probably like it. If you don't like that sort of sound you probably won't. Every other song is about booze. Sounds good in the car.
                          The description fits my general interests, so I checked this one out:

Perhaps a bit more southern rock than my tastes tend to run: I guess I'm more into The Byrds (Sweetheart of the Rodeo) version of country rock or I want my country to be more twangy, but it was good to check out these guys.

Comment

Yeah. They are almost a stereotype of Southernness.

Comment

Originally posted by RobW View Post
                              This morning I have mostly been listening to;

Denzel Curry and Kenny Beats - Unlocked
                              The Homesick - The Big Exercise
                              Lanterns on the Lake - Spook the Herd.

Enjoying them immensely too. Plus the new Orielles album is out next week, which is exciting. Interview with them in the Guardian today https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...-for-the-stars
                              Long time fan of Lanterns on the Lake, and I'm pleased with the new album, albeit I've only heard it on my phone while travelling so far - I've got the CD though and will be giving it the full living room treatment tonight to hear it properly. Looking forward to Orielles too.

Comment

40 years on from their last release, I give you :

​​​​​​

Comment

A handful of albums that I've really enjoyed so far:

Vengeful Spectre, Chinese symphonic black metal, uses a fair bit of Chinese traditional instruments: https://vengefulspectre.bandcamp.com...ngeful-spectre

Algiers, Southern soul/punk/industrial with a revolutionary fervor: https://algierstheband.bandcamp.com/...ere-is-no-year

Jeff Parker, jazz with some electronic inspiration: https://intlanthem.bandcamp.com/albu...-for-max-brown

Comment

New albums I'm enjoying while watching the empty streets below:
                                    Ásgeir - Bury the Moon
                                    Frazey Ford - U Kin B the Sun
                                    Agnes Obel - Myopia
                                    Caribou - Suddenly
                                    Gill Landry - Skeleton at the Banquet

Comment

I have enjoyed the new Joe Gideon album. if you like Nick Cave, you'll hopefully enjoy Armagideon, because that's what the album is called.

Comment

Originally posted by KGR View Post
                                        I have enjoyed the new Joe Gideon album. if you like Nick Cave, you'll hopefully enjoy Armagideon, because that's what the album is called.
                                        A lot of people won't get no justice tonight?

Comment

The new Pat Metheny album 'From This Place', featuring Antonio Sanchez, Linda May Han Oh and British pianist Gwilym Simcock, may be his finest yet, and in a recording career spanning close to 45 years and as many albums, that's a pretty high bar. Rather poignantly it was released in the month that saw the untimely death of long time collaborator Lyle Mays. Here's the standout track, 'America Undefined'. It's quite long and probably won't appeal to many here, but what the heck.

Comment

I am more and more into Agnes Obel, to the point of scouring her back catalogue and getting ready to spend stupid sums on vinyl. She's like PJ Harvey's dreamy, introspective younger sister. Just stunningly gorgeous music. As usual when I make a discovery like this, I am perturbed at never having previously heard of her, and at the fact the rest of the cruelly indifferent world isn't raving about her awesome qualities.

Also, as mentioned on the Lockdown Diaries thread, Nadia Reid's new album 'Out of my Province.' For pop diversion while making dinner, Cornershop's typically jaunty 'England is a Garden' and US Girls' 'Heavy Light'. Also enjoying an initial exploration of Arborist's earnest but captivating 'A Northern View'.

Comment

I think the Alessandro Cortini - Daniel Avery collab album is out tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by imp View Post
                                                I am more and more into Agnes Obel, to the point of scouring her back catalogue and getting ready to spend stupid sums on vinyl. She's like PJ Harvey's dreamy, introspective younger sister. Just stunningly gorgeous music. As usual when I make a discovery like this, I am perturbed at never having previously heard of her, and at the fact the rest of the cruelly indifferent world isn't raving about her awesome qualities.

Also, as mentioned on the Lockdown Diaries thread, Nadia Reid's new album 'Out of my Province.' For pop diversion while making dinner, Cornershop's typically jaunty 'England is a Garden' and US Girls' 'Heavy Light'. Also enjoying an initial exploration of Arborist's earnest but captivating 'A Northern View'.
                                                I’ve been listening to Agnes O for the past few years - her Citizen of Glass album is probably my personal favourite of the 2010s. The new collection is also mighty fine, although not a massive departure from its predecessor.

Similarly, Cornershop’s new collection could’ve been recorded by them twenty years back, but it’s ‘their’ trademark, so not especially a problem to me. (The jury’s still out on US Girls, although I did quite enjoy recent single 4 American Dollars.)

Will investigate your other suggestions!

Comment

Nine Inch Nails just released two new Ghosts albums, free on their site, will be on streaming service later, there's a YouTube as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dp58...CxMXtYpkJ7mI7d

Comment

Working...
                                                  X