One Lone Swordsman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One Lone Swordsman

Andrew Weatherall has died after suffering a pulmonary embolism, aged 56.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/feb/17/andrew-weatherall-british-producer-behind-screamadelica-dies-aged-56

RIP - sad to hear that. Very talented individual.

Comment

As said above, a very talented, ground breaking and by all accounts, a very nice person. I'll be listening to Two Lone Swordsmen at work tomorrow.

Comment

Very sad news. I'm getting strong memories of first hearing Smokebelch II round at a mate's with some strong refreshments.

The last time I heard him DJ, a couple of years ago, he played a set of what I can best describe as medieval techno and highly enjoyable it was too.

Comment

Originally posted by Gert from the Well View Post
          by all accounts, a very nice person
          My timeline has been full of this sentiment. A very sad loss.

Comment

He wasn't up himself, and was always approachable. He played the opening night of our local boozer, as well as festies and clubs.

One of the best, most eclectic and creative DJs (or mixologists) from the 80s right up to now.

Comment

Finitribe - 101 (Intensity Mix) RIP

Comment

First time I became aware of him was his work with One Dove...then Sabres of Paradise just blew my mind...I'm listening to Sabresonic II now...a bit of my youth died with him. RIP AW...thanks for the sounds...

Comment

My friend just posted a wonderful story about Weatherall over the last twenty years.

"I only met Andrew once, by design. Like most people my age he hsa been a massive part of my life since I was a teen. At first it was just records and liner notes, then interviews in magazines. At some point in my 20s I realized I was slowly making friends with people that he had worked with, family members etc. Somewhere along the line I decided this process was a game called "Ever Decreasing Circles of Weatherall". I found it internally amusing to stand next to him in shops or at gigs "playing" this game and knowing at some point I actually have to say hello.

About four months ago he cam to a pub quiz I host and a mutual friend introduced him so the game was up. At the halftime break I told him about this ridiculous game that we'd been playing (with neither of us aware at certain times). i was a little sheepish as explaining that you have been quietly stalking someone for between 10-20 years is WEIRD AF. But he laughed and said "I admire your rigorous dedication to a private joke".

I must have replied something like "Well the game's over now and I am a little sad somehow" to which he replied with a cheeky glint in his eye, "Well if you don't tell anyone, I won't"

Comment

Anyone with strong enough guts should try make it to ALFOS in Brixton (Phonox) tomorrow night. Amazingly Sean is sticking with the gig.

Comment

I bunged on 6Music when this happened as it was one of those rare times where I really needed to remember the old times and just be in the music again one more time. Weirdly, they mentioned his death just once in the hour that I listened. They should have just ditched their normal programming and gone wall-to-wall Weatherall, he is so intimately connected with so many iconic artists in the 6Music remit. What a missed opportunity. I'm baffled by that decision.

Comment

Working...
                      X