Half size left handed electric guitars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Half size left handed electric guitars

Anyone ever seen one for sale in the UK or am I going to have to get the daughter an acoustic...?

3/4 size any good to you? Can't vouch for the brand, unfortunately, but if it's a beginner guitar then it might be worth a punt?

https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-an...MaAk6QEALw_wcB

Comment

Otherwise Guitar Guitar (whose service I really rate, having bought three guitars from them) have a Jackson Dinky 3/4 left hander, but that would involve her making a bold statement about her ability / taste in music.

Comment

Cheers for those (like the LA one, that's a smart finish). Not sure if 3/4 will do... should probably take her to a shop and see the size of them but I think it needs to be half size given she's still very small.

Is it ok to just string a RH guitar upside down until she needs a bigger one I wonder? With her ukulele I just inverted the tuning as there's not much difference in gauge.
        Last edited by Kevin S; 16-02-2020, 21:54.

Comment

If she's just learning chords and simple melody lines, then sure. Obviously doing that hampers access to the dusty end of the neck but it never did Jimi any harm.

EDIT: It might cause some issues with the nut, however.
          Last edited by Toby Gymshorts; 16-02-2020, 22:15.

Comment

Excellent. I think we're a good few years off 18th fret noodling yet so upside down might be the best bet if she really wants electric. We can just about manage C major and, everyone's favourite, Am7 on the uke.

I see Epiphone had a product called the VeeWee a while back - i.e. a half size Flying V - which would be ideal for southpaw stringing. Can't see any available atm though.

Comment

Squier do half-size Stratocasters.

Edit. Turns out they're 3/4 size. But half-size electrics are avaialble.
              Last edited by Stumpy Pepys; 17-02-2020, 11:51.

Comment

Excellent thread (I'm a left-handed rudimentary uke player). Best of luck to Kevin's daughter

Comment

As a lefty myself, I’d throw in a few bits on this. Restringing sounds like it’s no problem (if it’s ok for Hendrix etc) but he went through a dozen guitars a year, so none of the issues would really have time to present. That and he was Hendrix, so you know.

Restringing gives you A few issues.

1. The pickups are set for the other way around so you can have muddy sound
                  2. Depending on guitar, the pots, switches and cable socket are all in the wrong place, making it much harder to deal with. If your cable sticks out and up, it’s easy to gimp the socket with repeatedly hitting the plug with your elbow.
                  3. The neck tends to be braced against twisting based on the string thickness. Swap that round and you can get neck twist and associated fret buzz and ultimately failure.
                  4. It’s much more difficult to get the action right on a reverse stringed guitar
                  5. Unless your machine heads are acoustic style 3 and 3, tuning is awkward. Not impossible, just awkward as you’re working the wrong way around.
                  6. that also can change the intonation a little as your strings are different lengths to how they would be.
                  7. Oh and unless you change around the nut at the top of the neck, and the bridge at the bottom (expensive?) you need to file it out so the bass E can fit it it and the top E can slide about.

Long story short, none of it’s a complete deal breaker, but it all adds up and could be the difference between keeping going and giving up.
                  Given how lefty guitars are much easier and cheaper to find these days (when I started they were twice the price and really rare) I’d get one if you can find one.
                  Last edited by hobbes; 17-02-2020, 12:12.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
                    Restringing sounds like it’s no problem (if it’s ok for Hendrix etc) but he went through a dozen guitars a year, so none of the issues would really have time to present.
                    He also played CBS Fenders which, by common wisdom, were vastly inferior to pre-CBS Fenders.

Comment

This looks like just the thing but unfortunately they don’t ship to the UK.

Comment

hobbes thank you for that. She'd go nuts for that purple colour too :-(

I've found it in red or vintage sunburst on Rondo... who do say they'll ship to Western Europe. That's a thinker. Shame about the exchange rate!
                        https://www.rondomusic.com/rst12carl...bVlV939E--k2kc

edit - ooh, they do have the purple one actually
                        https://www.rondomusic.com/product7768.html
                        Last edited by Kevin S; 17-02-2020, 13:16.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
                          This looks like just the thing but unfortunately they don’t ship to the UK.
                          There's one here on Reverb, who might ship to the UK. But this model seems to be the sole left-handed half-scale electric you can buy.

Comment

Yeah, 3/4 size are rather easier to come by it seems.

Comment

Got an email back from Rondo suggesting that shipping would probably cost more than the guitar!
                              ​​​​​
                              Might have to convince her to stick with the uke and practise that for a couple more years, then go straight to 3/4

Comment

Working...
                              X