Most underrated people in pop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most underrated people in pop

Tony Hicks. Look at him here, he's like Johnny Marr's dad.

Bobby Elliott plays a blinder as well, but he's generally recognised as an ace drummer anyway. Who else has slipped under the radar?

Steve Hanley.

Comment

Originally posted by treibeis View Post
      Steve Hanley.
      Or Craig Scanlon.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

Or Craig Scanlon.
        Yes, Scanlon was great. But Hanley ... I'd listen to him having a dump.

Comment

Graham Coxon. One of my favourite guitar players.

Comment

Good calls, gentlemen. At Gillingham we've got a a forward called Hanlan, or Hanlon. We've had him for ages but nobody seems to know. I'd like to think it's because of a mind-melding of Fallmen, rather than us being thick. The only way to sort it out would be to give him a guitar and a bass and see what happens.

Comment

Mind you, this is the second thread today in which trebeis has mentioned having a dump...

Comment

Not something you first think of about Squeeze, but I always thought Gilson Lavis was a terrific drummer for them.

Comment

This is what we want!

Comment

I think that Dave Ball is underrated given how timeless Soft Cell's music still sounds and the range of his work as a performer and producer over the following decades. Hard looking fucker too, although he's rather out of shape these days.

Comment

That's a very good call indeed, and notwithstanding what Dave Ball did on his own, Soft Cell never got anything like the credit they should have had.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                        IHard looking fucker too.
                        I once mentioned this on here, and was shouted down, by I think, Jah Womble. Not because he was a hard-looking fucker, but because he's all right.

As you know, you can be both on here. Or at least a hard-looking fucker.

Comment

On the subject of hard-looking fuckers, can I have Messrs. Greenfield, Burnel and Black? Didn't matter who sang, not really.

Comment

Originally posted by Alderman Barnes View Post
                            Soft Cell never got anything like the credit they should have had.
                            I know this isn't the point of the thread, but I find the whole Soft Cell thing utterly baffling. That album is fucking awful beyond 'the' hit song.

Comment

Hobbesian.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post

I know this isn't the point of the thread, but I find the whole Soft Cell thing utterly baffling. That album is fucking awful beyond 'the' hit song.
                                OFFS.

(joke)
                                Last edited by treibeis; 30-01-2020, 21:42.

Comment

So far as the UK goes, I'd nominate Russ Ballard. Mainly remembered as lead singer/guitarist/songwriter of Argent 'Hold Your Head Up.' But his songwriting credits were way more extensive: 'Concrete and Clay' (Unit 4+2), 'So You Win Again' (Hot Chocolate), and tons of stuff for KISS. Other hits include 'New York Groove,' 'You Can Do Magic,' 'Since You've Been Gone,' and 'God Gave Rock and Roll to You.' My personal favourite is one of his earliest: 'Smoking a Long Cigarette,' written and recorded when he was a member of Adam Faith's back-up band, The Roulettes.

Comment

The Joe Meek-produced singer Glenda Collins. A wonderfully distinctive voice, full of warmth and ever so slightly plummy, that together with Meek's excitement-packed tracks should have seen her reap far more success than she did - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HE-ZHgB6rg

Comment

Dan Sartain. Pete Williams.

And I'm going to say Siobhan Fahey, because I'm sick of telling people she can play, and no, Dave Stewart, SAW or Marcella Detroit didn't write everything she's ever sung.

Comment

Was it Chris Morris or Brooker who came up with the Dave Stewart parody for Nathan Barley?

Comment

I've got a handful of funny Dave Stewart stories, not all from the same source, which I'm not quite tipsy enough to share.

He doesn't come off that badly, really. Basically kind, if a bit daft, nerdy and with a big ego. But there are a lot worse.

Comment

Originally posted by MsD View Post
                                            Basically kind, if a bit daft, nerdy and with a big ego.
                                            I think that's more or less exactly what I'd expect him to be like, tipsy revelations or no tipsy revelations.

Comment

Jo Callis

Comment

The most underrated people in pop are the producers, arrangers, engineers etc.

Comment

Vince Clarke springs to mind. Even though people rate him, he seems underrated.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X