Some Interesting Real Names of Musicians

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some Interesting Real Names of Musicians

The real name of L.V., who performed Gangsta's Paradise with Coolio, is Larry Sanders, namesake of Gary Shandling's character. Any more like this?

There are obviously many stage names taken from fiction: Shaggy, Snoop Dogg, etc, but I'm interested here in real names that either deliberately (by the parents) or purely by chance (Sanders here) match up.

Sanders' profile is lovely:

Best known as the soulful vocalist assisting Coolio on the smash single "Gangsta's Paradise," L.V. ("Large Variety") is perhaps even more remarkable for not only surviving being shot nine times at close range, spending eight months in the hospital and a year and a half in a wheelchair, but for recovering completely and being able to walk without a noticeable limp.

‘Large Variety’? What the hell kind of street name is that?

Comment

I always assumed 'Large Variety' was probably something he got nicknamed as a child, and 'LV' was the street-name he shortened it to.

Comment

Ray Charles was actually Ray Robinson, Charles being a middle name.
        Not sure if he took the stage name to avoid confusion with (boxer) Sugar Ray Robinson, but in any case Sugar Ray was actually Walker Smith - he borrowed Ray Robinson's ID to get his boxing licence when under age.

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
          Not sure if he took the stage name to avoid confusion with (boxer) Sugar Ray Robinson
          Yes, in 1948, when Sugar Ray Robinson was at his peak.

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
            I always assumed 'Large Variety' was probably something he got nicknamed as a child, and 'LV' was the street-name he shortened it to.
            Which nevertheless still begs the question as to how he’d have arrived at it.

Comment

He's a big lad. It's like Biggie Smalls/ Notorious BIG.

Comment

It’s more the use of ‘variety’ with which I’m struggling.

But y’know, not that much.

Comment

Maybe he liked a large variety of women, or a variety of large women?

Comment

Or a large variety of large women, etc.

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                    Which nevertheless still begs the question as to how he’d have arrived at it.
                    Well, it raises the question. As a fellow pedant, I know you won't mind me pointing out that technically it doesn't beg the question...

(I confess I only became aware of this within the last few months, so have been trying to avoid misusing the phrase of late!)

Comment

I'll be honest - I didn't expect such response to a throwaway comment regarding something about which I don't especially care.

(VA - yes, you're absolutely correct. 'My bad', as they say.)

Comment

An obvious example is David Bowie who presumably would have remained David Jones had it not been for Davy Jones of The Monkees.

Minor 60s hitmaker and entertainer Clinton Forde had the real name George Harrison.

Comment

Comment

Adding a middle initial is common in the acting field - e.g. Harry H Corbett to avoid confusion with Sooty's owner. Name adjustments are actually required by the acting profession rather than voluntary as in Ray Charles' case.

Another parallel: transatlantic variants to avoid name clashes in an overseas market: The English Beat, Detroit Spinners.

Comment

Thanks for the clarification, WOM.

It's still a rubbish street name, however.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                Thanks for the clarification, WOM.

It's still a rubbish street name, however.
                                I mean, Vast Range I could see. But Large Variety....?

Comment

Indeed. All I'm seeing in my mind's eye are 'groceries'.

Comment

I'm just seeing "big knob". From "Large Variety", I mean.

Comment

Guildo Horn (Horst Köhler) has the same name as the erstwhile head of state (Horst Köhler, not Guildo Horn).

Comment

Originally posted by MsD View Post
                                        I'm just seeing "big knob". From "Large Variety", I mean.
                                        Well, you know what they say - ‘one man’s groceries are another woman’s...’ (I don’t know where I’m going with this...)

Comment

Originally posted by wittoner View Post

Minor 60s hitmaker and entertainer Clinton Forde had the real name George Harrison.
                                          I think that there was a journalist who wrote about The Beatles for the Liverpool Echo who was also called George Harrison.

Comment

That immediately makes me think of the music critic and journalist Bill Wyman (born, as far as I know, Bill Wyman) – who has received at least one cease-and-desist notice from the lawyers for former-Rolling-Stone Bill Wyman (not born Bill Wyman), despite having been Bill Wyman longer than 'Bill Wyman' has.

Comment

Billie Eilish Pirate Baird O'Connell, no relation to Billy Childish, which is a stage name.

Comment

The late keyboardist/songwriter of Aussie rock band Dragon was one Paul Hewson.

(No doubt there'll be a few on here who wish...etc, etc...cont'd page 317.)

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                                                  That immediately makes me think of the music critic and journalist Bill Wyman (born, as far as I know, Bill Wyman) – who has received at least one cease-and-desist notice from the lawyers for former-Rolling-Stone Bill Wyman (not born Bill Wyman), despite having been Bill Wyman longer than 'Bill Wyman' has.
                                                  Right up there with Rossdale's Bush sending Dominc Troiano's Bush a cease and desist letter, despite the latter having used the name for 20 years longer.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X