Racist Songs By Great Writers That Were Later Sanitized

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
    I always had the admittedly maybe erroneous impression that Siouxsie lacks a certain something in the intelligence department.
    Nope, she's smart.

Comment

You can think I'm giving them a pass, and say "the Clash came up at the same time, and they never had any dodgy references", but without the Pistols/Banshees/Ants and whoever, Joe would be a pub-rocker and they'd never have the bollocks to do all that stencil/spray paint clothing.

(Some people think White Riot and White Man IHP are racist but that's some other daftness.)

Comment

Thanks, MsD, you've changed my mind on Siouxsie and Severin with that great post.

Comment

I could never really work out Ian Dury's "Blackmail Man", except that it was full of rhyming slang. I was too young at the time. Did anybody kick up a stink about that?

Comment

I don't even remember it, or recall it being mentioned, and I read the music press, so no.

Comment

Veiled behind screens
              Kept as your baby machine
              Whilst you conquer more orifices
              Of boys, goats and things
              Ripped out sheeps' eyes - no forks or knives

The reference to Banshees Arabian Knights being a diatribe against the repressive bits of the muslim world might be borne out by the opening two lines of the above lyric. The next 3 lines though are a bit more problematic.

Comment

"Arabian Knights - at your primitive best"

Comment

Working...
                X