Top ten twats in rock and pop.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

Apart from the Israel bit, I'm afraid you're very wrong about the man. And why should composing and performing music you don't personally care for mark someone out as a twat?
    Well like music, its subjective isn't it? I find him irritating because of the occasional assaults on my ear oles that he's subjected me to. On reflection, I probably wouldn't refer to him as a twat but theres few folk in music that annoy me as much as he does.

I realise he set the bar pretty high but has he really done anything even half as comparable to his Beatles stuff?

Comment

Maybe I'm amazed, Coming Up, uncle Albert.

Comment

Let me roll it- powerful dig at Lennon's primal scream pretensions

Wings of a nightingale- relaunched the late-career Everly Brothers

Give Ireland back to the Irish- Edgy (though possibly not Hewson-y)

Comment

Band on the Run wasn't a bad album at all.

On top of that, Maybe I'm Amazed, Helen Wheels, Listen to What the Man Said and Temporary Secretary were all decent singles.

Comment

Macca confirms will no longer be giving youngest daughter Beatrice a lift to school. He's had to abandon the run
            Last edited by Duncan Gardner; 17-01-2020, 16:16.

Comment

Comfortably the least twattish of The Beatles. Two different family friends have had dealings with him and confirm that, apart from being a bit of an old hippy, he's remarkably unaffected by his extraordinary fame and wealth.

Comment

I know he's better known as an actor, but he had a couple of hit singles, so unrepentant spouse abuser Dennis Waterman.

Comment

Originally posted by delicatemoth View Post

Radiohead get extra twat points for using the word 'retarded' to describe critics of their decision to play in Israel, if I'm not mistaken. Also for being really shit. Britpop groups were terrible, weren't they?
                  FINALLY!!! I've felt like the only person in the world who thought Radiohead produced unlistenable drone antimusic that people.only said they liked to earn Indie kudos points.

Thank you for articulating this, DM.

Comment

Well, I like some Radiohead songs a lot, don't mind most and dislike a few. But that's a pretty boring opinion, I know!

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post

FINALLY!!! I've felt like the only person in the world who thought Radiohead produced unlistenable drone antimusic that people.only said they liked to earn Indie kudos points.

Thank you for articulating this, DM.
                      Don't worry, it's not just you two.

Comment

I do like "High And Dry", and "Creep" was good for its day. But I never got the adulation for Radiohead, especially for OK Computer, which has been traded as some kind of seminal work for reasons I don't get even when Q magazine tried to explain it to me.

Comment

I always remember a letter on C4 teletext lambasting U2 for writing the line "A mole, digging in a hole" and saying they'll never write a line "as good as 'karma police, arrest this man'". And I realised that they were absolutely serious.

Comment

Fucking Hell, Snake, I've got that fucking U2 song playing in my head now.

(I used to work in a cinema when Tomb Raider was out and that played in the lobby 3 times an hour!)

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post

Don't worry, it's not just you two.
                              Yay!

Comment

Paul Simon.

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
                                  But even in his activism, Bono adopted a saviour complex. And even if it sprang from the genuine concern, the activism smacked of self-mythologising. Take debt relief: Jubilee 2000 was a movement initiated by activists and the Catholic Church in the 1990s. The bandwagon was rolling along when Bono jumped on it and made it seem as if it was his invention.

Similarly his and Geldof's notion that they should be spokesmen for Africa without having a mandate or being subordinate to an African-led movement. There is a racist element to that.

There were benefits to that, of course, but they came at the price of twattishness.
                                  They believe they’re bringing attention to the issue, which they are. But, as you pointed out, they want to be in charge of something. I suspect that has more to do with them being the sort of people who can’t stand not being in control and/or being surrounded by sycophants, rather than racism per se. But it isn’t a good look.

Lots of celebrities seem to do this. One hears a lot more about the one’s who have started their own foundations etc. rather than the ones who are willing to just help out established organization and take up less of the spotlight. Either they and/or their mangers want more control over the “brand.”

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
                                    I do like "High And Dry", and "Creep" was good for its day. But I never got the adulation for Radiohead, especially for OK Computer, which has been traded as some kind of seminal work for reasons I don't get even when Q magazine tried to explain it to me.
                                    Same. I like The Bends.

Comment

Street Spirit is the best Radiohead tune.

Don't @ me, I'm absolutely correct as usual.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                                        I always remember a letter on C4 teletext lambasting U2 for writing the line "A mole, digging in a hole" and saying they'll never write a line "as good as 'karma police, arrest this man'". And I realised that they were absolutely serious.
                                        I have no issue with lyrics being profound.

I have no issue with lyrics being total nonsense.

But Radiohead have that problem of trying to pass off word salad as profundity. "Oh, what does it all mean?" "These lyrics really speak to me."

BULL. SHIT.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                          Band on the Run wasn't a bad album at all.

On top of that, Maybe I'm Amazed, Helen Wheels, Listen to What the Man Said and Temporary Secretary were all decent singles.
                                          His work with Youth in The Fireman is worth checking out too.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
                                            I have no issue with lyrics being profound.

I have no issue with lyrics being total nonsense.

But Radiohead have that problem of trying to pass off word salad as profundity. "Oh, what does it all mean?" "These lyrics really speak to me."

BULL. SHIT.
                                            That’s largely the fault of the listener. Bands good, bad and indifferent have been peddling dubious lyrics for half a century-plus.

Comment

But if you're doing nothing to dispel the notion that your stream of consciousness is deep and meaningful, surely you have to take at least some of that blame too?

Mind you, my disdain for Radiohead may be a stain on my argument.

Comment

I think that’s possibly what’s happening, aye.

Whatever one thinks of their output, unless what they’re issuing is highly offensive (in the proper sense of the expression), Radiohead or any band aren’t obliged to explain or defend their material to anybody.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                                  I think that’s possibly what’s happening, aye.

Whatever one thinks of their output, unless what they’re issuing is highly offensive (in the proper sense of the expression), Radiohead or any band aren’t obliged to explain or defend their material to anybody.
                                                  I think that's true but it still doesn't excuse Desiree being "scared of a ghost, I'd rather have a piece of toast"

Comment

True, that needs a bit of a slap.

Ditto Van Halen and their ‘only time will tell if we can stand the test of time’.

And indeed many others.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X