No announcement yet.

Top ten twats in rock and pop.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think we're getting away from the point I was trying to make.

It's not bad lyrics per se, it's nonsense and pretension passing off as profundity.

Comment

I love The Bends and have 3 other Radiohead albums, I think I was earning a lot in the mid-90s.

As for McCartney, doesn't everyone love Temporary Secretary? Plus the songs mentioned, Maybe I'm Amazed and the BOTR album. I like Silly Love Songs, although it does what it says on the tin. And Another Day. He's just a master of the effortless melody.

Comment

Originally posted by Foot of Astaire's View Post

I think that's true but it still doesn't excuse Desiree being "scared of a ghost, I'd rather have a piece of toast"
        But I can relate to that. I would rather have toast than see a scary ghost.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
          I think we're getting away from the point I was trying to make.

It's not bad lyrics per se, it's nonsense and pretension passing off as profundity.
          Fair enough opinion. However, they (and others) are not actually demanding any kind of response from the listener. However the latter chooses to react or respond to their lyrics - either positively or negatively - is down to him/her.

It’s how I feel when forced to listen to certain prog bands from the seventies, or Alanis Morissette, for example. I’d concur in that I find a lot of Radiohead’s lyrics tiresome - but they’re musically way ahead of the majority, so I don’t lose too much sleep over it.

Comment

Originally posted by MsD View Post

As for McCartney, doesn't everyone love Temporary Secretary?
            It's horrible. I agree with you on the rest of what you said about McCartney, but "Temporary Secretary" is terrible.

Comment

Yes, I'm with G-Man on this.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                unlistenable drone antimusic
                Thing is, this is how many folk regard a lot of the music I do like, where I think they're mistaken. Radiohead are the real thing, a drizzly dirge. I must have listened to OK Computer ten times or thereabouts trying to work out what people heard in it. Not a single note ever stuck in my head, and I couldn't name any of the songs. Same goes for 'Dog Star Man' by Suede, which loads of people I know also thought was great. But Suede don't seem like twats as far as I know, and I do like 'The Drowners' and 'My Insatiable One'.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                  Fair enough opinion. However, they (and others) are not actually demanding any kind of response from the listener. However the latter chooses to react or respond to their lyrics - either positively or negatively - is down to him/her.
                  I understand that they're not obliged to do so but if you've developed a reputation - rightly or wrongly - for being more than a bit pretentious, doing something to add a bit of levity wouldn't go amiss.

Comment

'Temporary Secretary' is amazing, you dafties. He's done loads of great stuff post Beatles, 'We All Stand Together' and 'Say Say Say' are fantastic for starters.

Comment

Say Say Say is indeed great. While not loving Temporary Secretary I really don't get the hate for Macca. Shit, he's not even been a tax exile, has he?

Comment

Wings might have thought he was a twat when they had to stay in the cold barn next to his farmhouse on the Mull of Kintyre while him and Linda sat around getting stoned. I think that's what happened. Probably the most twattish thing he's done musically is title an album 'Kisses On The Bottom'. He didn't need to do that. Some of his lyrics are really odd. 'Check My Machine' is another great one. But he was doing pure schlock back in the Beatles, 'Ob La Di Ob La Da' and that, so he was always going to do more as a solo artist. Anyway, 'Band On The Run' and 'McCartney 2' are both fine albums and 'Ram' is pretty good too.

Comment

And I know it's not a widely held opinion but I think 'We All Stand Together' is an outstanding, lushly charming song, like the Beach Boys or ABBA.

Comment

Temporary Secretary is obviously good: just Macca mucking about in the studio - and frankly all the better for it. At that stage of his career, he was doing far too much dressing up and acting like a plonker in videos. (The Frog Chorus can go swivel on their lily pads, however.)

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
                            I understand that they're not obliged to do so but if you've developed a reputation - rightly or wrongly - for being more than a bit pretentious, doing something to add a bit of levity wouldn't go amiss.
                            Why would they want to do that? The only ‘downbeat’ major band of which I can think that made such a transition (ie, while maintaining any level of credibility on top of sales) are The Cure. And even then they didn’t always get it right.

Comment

Originally posted by delicatemoth View Post
                              I must have listened to OK Computer ten times or thereabouts trying to work out what people heard in it. Not a single note ever stuck in my head.
                              Testify!

Comment

Can't you just take his word for it?

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                  Temporary Secretary is obviously good: just Macca mucking about in the studio - and frankly all the better for it. At that stage of his career, he was doing far too much dressing up and acting like a plonker in videos. (The Frog Chorus can go swivel on their lily pads, however.)

Why would they want to do that? The only ‘downbeat’ major band of which I can think that made such a transition (ie, while maintaining any level of credibility on top of sales) are The Cure. And even then they didn’t always get it right.
                                  I know we're not going to agree on this. I know I've lost this argument. But wouldn't a part of you like to see Radiohead try something uplifting or whimsical? Could be a laugh.

Comment

It'd be like Wet Wet Wet covering 'Heroin'.

Comment

Originally posted by delicatemoth View Post
                                      It'd be like Wet Wet Wet covering 'Heroin'.
                                      "Be the death of me, woah-oh-ah-woah" <flashes cheeky grin>

I recently listened to Paul Young's notorious cover of Love Will Tear Us Apart, half wanting it to be less terrible than legend has it. It does suck; not for ideological reasons, it's just a poor attempt.

Comment

C'mon folks, even the most determined OK Computer-hater can concede that No Surprises is a gorgeous song, surely? You can't genuinely claim that one as tuneless and unmemorable, even if the roughly 8 other great songs on that album fail to float your boat for various reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                          Pharrell Williams (doing benefit gigs for the IDF. The IDF! Not only a brutal racist force of cunts but already one of the most heavily funded organisations on the planet)
                                          Sorry, what? Seriously?

Cunt.

(Hadn't even got to the end of page 1 of this before coming out of hiding.)

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                                            I think Westlife do Vegas now.
                                            No, they fucking try.

Comment

Welcome back Gero, and you're right btw.

Comment

Welcome back, young man.

Comment

Oh, and I am on Robbie Williams' side here. Not because I have tickets to see him or anything like it, but because, whether or not he is a bit of a knob, and he will be the first to admit it, he gives his all. And if that isn't enough, then by all means slate him.

But against some of these murderous cunt-affirming twats, previously mentioned, Bob is a saint. A dickhead, but a saint.

Comment

And thanks, peeps x

(Did I miss anything? Or should I go 'mundane' for that?)

Comment

Working...
                                                    X