Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G-Man
    replied
    Wow, that is spectacular stuff from Hucknall there. And that's from today, not eight years ago when that twittering thing was newfangled.

Leave a comment:

• Diable Rouge
    replied
    https://twitter.com/SimplyRedHQ/status/1263421095853645824

Leave a comment:

• Jah Womble
    replied
    James Blunt generally comes across as fairly generous and self-deprecating, which is indeed a good way to be.

That song, though. That bloody song.

Leave a comment:

• imp
    replied
    Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post

Get down wiv ver kids, grandad.
    I can't - arthritis in the knees.

Leave a comment:

• Toby Gymshorts
    replied
    Originally posted by imp View Post

Are you saying that No Good Advice is equivalent to the loud and startling noise made by a firework thrown to the ground on Bonfire Night?

Christ, I hate that word. When and how on earth did it acquire this neo-usage? [Goes back to smoking pipe and staring into space with a malign expression.]
    Get down wiv ver kids, grandad.

Leave a comment:

• gavc23
    replied
    I thought James Blunt gets a pass for his tweet where he announced he was officially handing over his Cockney Rhyming title to Jeremy Hunt?

Leave a comment:

• imp
    replied
    Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
    No Good Advice is also a banger.
    Are you saying that No Good Advice is equivalent to the loud and startling noise made by a firework thrown to the ground on Bonfire Night?

Christ, I hate that word. When and how on earth did it acquire this neo-usage? [Goes back to smoking pipe and staring into space with a malign expression.]

Leave a comment:

• Snake Plissken
    replied
    He gets to live, purely because he's great responding to haters on Twitter.

Leave a comment:

• Guy Profumo
    replied
    Why do people hate James Bl(o)unt FFS?
    ​​​​​​
    The bloke's an entertainer.

If you don't like his stuff, don't listen to it.

(it's not like he's a Morrissey, is it?)

Leave a comment:

• Freestyling buck wilding Stijn Stijnen
    replied
    Isn't James Blunt a psy-OP to appease the kind of ladies we saw leading the VE day celebrations?
    posh, check!
    army boy, check!
    Sings, check!
    ooh mr Darcy!

Leave a comment:

• Freestyling buck wilding Stijn Stijnen
    replied
    Cheryl would be in the top ten wouldn't she for battering that toilet attendant.
    And as somebody who spent a bit too much time around frequent dabblers of cocaine, she has the air of somebody who hasn't joined the dots between her mental state and usage of that particular substance, like most people with a coke habit to be fair. I base this on how desperately unhappy she comes across as being, because that natural serotonin just ain't giving the same feels as it used to, man.

Leave a comment:

• MsD
    replied
    I don’t mind James Blunt although I don’t want to listen to him more than I have to.
    A friend (different friend this time) covered an Ed Sheeran song (the A Team) last night, and it was OK. Generally can’t stand his music.

Leave a comment:

• Snake Plissken
    replied
    Or that the world would be better off if James Blunt had been shot on the way in to Kosovo.

SEE, I CAN DO POSH WHITE MEN TOO.
    Last edited by Snake Plissken; 19-05-2020, 11:13.

Leave a comment:

• MsD
    replied
    Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
    They did have - even to my heart - a couple of absolute pop classics. Still, I could never get away from the idea that while the UK had gained a new pop band, somewhere else in the country there was a Tesco missing five shelf stackers.
    Fucking hell. Why not join Julie Burchill and call them "pram-face" while you're at it?

Some of the best pop music ever has been made by working-class people, male or female. Bill Withers was working in a factory when his first album was out. Sandie Shaw worked in a factory. Madonna worked in Dunkin Donuts. Endless list.
    Last edited by MsD; 19-05-2020, 11:04.

Leave a comment:

• Jah Womble
    replied
    ...or the demand for supply teachers being hampered by Sheeran's decision to concentrate on writing his by-numbers dullard-pleasers.

I thought it was at Atomic Kitten that the original 'remark' was usually aimed anyway?

Leave a comment:

• Benjm
    replied
    Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
    Still, I could never get away from the idea that while the UK had gained a new pop band, somewhere else in the country there was a Tesco missing five shelf stackers.
    That's what being a pop star is supposed to be about. It beats Mumford & Sons thinning out the ranks of investment bankers.

Leave a comment:

• Snake Plissken
    replied
    Always found it odd that people at the time were commenting on Jenson Buttons' then girlfriend for doing backing vocals on Girls Aloud singles, while not asking why a five piece girl group needed additional female backing vocals.

They did have - even to my heart - a couple of absolute pop classics. Still, I could never get away from the idea that while the UK had gained a new pop band, somewhere else in the country there was a Tesco missing five shelf stackers.

Leave a comment:

• Toby Gymshorts
    replied
    No Good Advice is also a banger.

Leave a comment:

• MsD
    replied
    Sound of the Underground - my friend did a cover of that. It's a strong song.

Leave a comment:

• Jah Womble
    replied
    Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
    Though, to be fair, the poor saps in One True Voice were a bit stuffed whatever they did, seeing as they were up against the all-conquering five-headed pop hydra that was Girls Aloud. Despite agreeing in very large part with Jah's pronouncement upon all TV music talent shows up the page, I'd make an exception for them because Girls Aloud made some of the best pop music in the first decade of this century. (And all things considered, I'd give Will Young a pass too.)
    I'll concede that Girls Aloud put out one or two of very good singles, yes. (Love Machine, that was one of them - almost as good as The Miracles' song of the same name.)

Will Young, not so much - although there was a single of his from 5-6 years back that sounded like an old Northern Soul track: I'll concede that I was genuinely surprised to discover it was that guy all along.

Don't ask me what it was called.

Leave a comment:

• imp
    replied
    Originally posted by ale View Post

Was it Alan Partridge who said Wings were the band who the Beatles could have been?
    I'd a feeling that quote would come up - it's one of my favourite lines. I did come to Wings first by getting a copy of Wings Greatest Hits for Christmas when I was 13, but that lead me to the Beatles within the year. I think what I loved later about those early 70s McCartney/Wings albums is the huge sense of personal liberation at getting out of the Beatles and doing what the hell he wanted, musically and personally. Plus, I'd rather listen to almost anything on those records than Octopus's fucking Garden.

We went to the exhibition at the Kelvingrove last autumn of Linda McCartney's photography, and there were tons of shots of young dad Paul larking about at the farm. Even better, the gift shop had chosen the Ram cover as one its focal images for merch. I got the t-shirt, the tote bag, the print, the postcard and the fridge magnet too.

Leave a comment:

• 3 Colours Red
    replied
    I would largely agree with that but someone a bit savvier and less stubborn than Waterman would have at least given them a chance to avoid complete and utter humiliation. If they had got a #2 hit with something halfway decent, it would be a platform to build on and not a stick to beat them with.

Leave a comment:

• Various Artist
    replied
    Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
    I doubt that they really would have re-shaped the musical landscape of the early 21st century but I do have to feel at least a little bit sorry for them. These young lads must have thought they'd got their big break but Waterman saddled them with a shit song (a rare Bee Gees misfire at that), a shit video and a shit name for the group - basically treating them as commodities (not that that's anything new for manufactured pop but this was still an extreme example due to the entire nature of their creation) - and it was all down to his own pigheadedness.
    Though, to be fair, the poor saps in One True Voice were a bit stuffed whatever they did, seeing as they were up against the all-conquering five-headed pop hydra that was Girls Aloud. Despite agreeing in very large part with Jah's pronouncement upon all TV music talent shows up the page, I'd make an exception for them because Girls Aloud made some of the best pop music in the first decade of this century. (And all things considered, I'd give Will Young a pass too.)

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    Originally posted by TonTon View Post
    Indeed, anyone who says "x isn't a race" in response to a charge of racism is a racist.
    I don’t know if that is automatically true, but it seems to be always true in practice.

Leave a comment:

• ale
    replied
    Originally posted by imp View Post

Love it! And McCartney too. I was a fan of everything through to Back to the Egg (what?), pretty much. Can't understand the love for McCartney 2, though - it was mainly dross, and after that I stopped listening.

I even love Mull of fucking Kintyre.
    Was it Alan Partridge who said Wings were the band who the Beatles could have been?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X