Top ten twats in rock and pop.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by imp View Post
    2. There are more than zero people alive who like Temporary Secretary. (And I am speaking as such a huge Macca fan that I even love Red Rose Speedway, and have Ram in my Top 10 Favourite Albums Ever list.)
    Erm, Temporary Secretary is peak Macca. Although actually Secret Friend on the B-side is even better.

Comment

Hell yeh, Fussbudget.

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
        Erm, Temporary Secretary is peak Macca. Although actually Secret Friend on the B-side is even better.
        I bought it on 12" at the time, unheard, because I was such a Macca/Wings fan. I came back to it again and again in case I'd been missing something on previous listens. Simon Price said on here once that it was "early electro-clash", which makes Macca sound down with the kids, but doesn't alter the fact that it's unlistenable. Well, maybe it's time to give it another spin, it probably hasn't been out of its sleeve for 35 years (except that I think it's still in that part of my record collection that's been in my ex-flatmate's wardrobe in Kilburn since 1995).

MsD I'm with you on 'Silly Love Songs' - wasn't that into it at the time, but recently it's struck me as one of the great pop songs of the 70s. There are about five different melodies in there he could probably have got another three songs out of.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

How about Wild Life?
          Love it! And McCartney too. I was a fan of everything through to Back to the Egg (what?), pretty much. Can't understand the love for McCartney 2, though - it was mainly dross, and after that I stopped listening.

I even love Mull of fucking Kintyre.

Comment

I bought it on 12" at the time, unheard, because I was such a Macca/Wings fan. I came back to it again and again in case I'd been missing something on previous listens. Simon Price said on here once that it was "early electro-clash", which makes Macca sound down with the kids, but doesn't alter the fact that it's unlistenable. Well, maybe it's time to give it another spin, it probably hasn't been out of its sleeve for 35 years (except that I think it's still in that part of my record collection that's been in my ex-flatmate's wardrobe in Kilburn since 1995).
            When I made a notional Beatles album released in 1980 for the blog, I put on "Temporary Secretary". It's the kind of thing that definitely would have gone on a Beatles album. At the last moment I ditched, on account of the fact that people's ears might be exposed to it. I tried. I really tried. But I see no charm in that track.

Comment

Temporary Secretary showed a bit of wit and spontaneity in Macca - at a time when I thought he was no longer capable of either.

(As for Silly Love Songs, it was no Listen to What the Man Said.)

Comment

I always quite enjoyed "Goodnight Tonight".

(sits back and watches the thread die on its feet...)

[edit] Oh and on topic, does Pete Waterman c(o)unt?

Comment

Originally posted by MarkF View Post
                  Oh and on topic, does Pete Waterman c(o)unt?
                  I'd say he does - many a career ruined by him not changing any of his thoughts or processes in pop music production since about 1986.

Who were those poor saps who went up against Girls Aloud under his charge on that Popstars show? Completely stitched up by him being oblivious to trends. More cheese there than the USDA surplus.

Comment

One True Voice. 'If memory serves.'

Every last person involved in the creation and perpetuity of Pop Idol/Stars and all offshoots thereof should be honorary members of this thread, however.

Comment

One True Voice, absolutely tragic, squandered talent.

If only PW had checked his thoughts and processes. It actually makes me angry.

Comment

I doubt that they really would have re-shaped the musical landscape of the early 21st century but I do have to feel at least a little bit sorry for them. These young lads must have thought they'd got their big break but Waterman saddled them with a shit song (a rare Bee Gees misfire at that), a shit video and a shit name for the group - basically treating them as commodities (not that that's anything new for manufactured pop but this was still an extreme example due to the entire nature of their creation) - and it was all down to his own pigheadedness.

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post

Not necessarily racist, but certainly buying into a nasty right-wing agenda. He is a self-centred fool, though: Me and myself and I can't do me and myself and I's things because of these uncivilised forinners.
                          It’s based on a racist trope.

I’ve seen a few “it’s not racist ‘cos the Chinese aren’t a race” defenses. But that doesn’t help. Racism has never relied on a cohesive or consistent definition of race. “Ethnic stereotypes” aren’t much of an improvement anyway.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/01/27...for-the-virus/

Comment

Indeed, anyone who says "x isn't a race" in response to a charge of racism is a racist.

Comment

Love it! And McCartney too. I was a fan of everything through to Back to the Egg (what?), pretty much. Can't understand the love for McCartney 2, though - it was mainly dross, and after that I stopped listening.

I even love Mull of fucking Kintyre.
                              Was it Alan Partridge who said Wings were the band who the Beatles could have been?

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                                Indeed, anyone who says "x isn't a race" in response to a charge of racism is a racist.
                                I don’t know if that is automatically true, but it seems to be always true in practice.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
                                  I doubt that they really would have re-shaped the musical landscape of the early 21st century but I do have to feel at least a little bit sorry for them. These young lads must have thought they'd got their big break but Waterman saddled them with a shit song (a rare Bee Gees misfire at that), a shit video and a shit name for the group - basically treating them as commodities (not that that's anything new for manufactured pop but this was still an extreme example due to the entire nature of their creation) - and it was all down to his own pigheadedness.
                                  Though, to be fair, the poor saps in One True Voice were a bit stuffed whatever they did, seeing as they were up against the all-conquering five-headed pop hydra that was Girls Aloud. Despite agreeing in very large part with Jah's pronouncement upon all TV music talent shows up the page, I'd make an exception for them because Girls Aloud made some of the best pop music in the first decade of this century. (And all things considered, I'd give Will Young a pass too.)

Comment

I would largely agree with that but someone a bit savvier and less stubborn than Waterman would have at least given them a chance to avoid complete and utter humiliation. If they had got a #2 hit with something halfway decent, it would be a platform to build on and not a stick to beat them with.

Comment

Originally posted by ale View Post

Was it Alan Partridge who said Wings were the band who the Beatles could have been?
                                      I'd a feeling that quote would come up - it's one of my favourite lines. I did come to Wings first by getting a copy of Wings Greatest Hits for Christmas when I was 13, but that lead me to the Beatles within the year. I think what I loved later about those early 70s McCartney/Wings albums is the huge sense of personal liberation at getting out of the Beatles and doing what the hell he wanted, musically and personally. Plus, I'd rather listen to almost anything on those records than Octopus's fucking Garden.

We went to the exhibition at the Kelvingrove last autumn of Linda McCartney's photography, and there were tons of shots of young dad Paul larking about at the farm. Even better, the gift shop had chosen the Ram cover as one its focal images for merch. I got the t-shirt, the tote bag, the print, the postcard and the fridge magnet too.

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                                        Though, to be fair, the poor saps in One True Voice were a bit stuffed whatever they did, seeing as they were up against the all-conquering five-headed pop hydra that was Girls Aloud. Despite agreeing in very large part with Jah's pronouncement upon all TV music talent shows up the page, I'd make an exception for them because Girls Aloud made some of the best pop music in the first decade of this century. (And all things considered, I'd give Will Young a pass too.)
                                        I'll concede that Girls Aloud put out one or two of very good singles, yes. (Love Machine, that was one of them - almost as good as The Miracles' song of the same name.)

Will Young, not so much - although there was a single of his from 5-6 years back that sounded like an old Northern Soul track: I'll concede that I was genuinely surprised to discover it was that guy all along.

Don't ask me what it was called.

Comment

Sound of the Underground - my friend did a cover of that. It's a strong song.

Comment

No Good Advice is also a banger.

Comment

Always found it odd that people at the time were commenting on Jenson Buttons' then girlfriend for doing backing vocals on Girls Aloud singles, while not asking why a five piece girl group needed additional female backing vocals.

They did have - even to my heart - a couple of absolute pop classics. Still, I could never get away from the idea that while the UK had gained a new pop band, somewhere else in the country there was a Tesco missing five shelf stackers.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                                                Still, I could never get away from the idea that while the UK had gained a new pop band, somewhere else in the country there was a Tesco missing five shelf stackers.
                                                That's what being a pop star is supposed to be about. It beats Mumford & Sons thinning out the ranks of investment bankers.

Comment

...or the demand for supply teachers being hampered by Sheeran's decision to concentrate on writing his by-numbers dullard-pleasers.

I thought it was at Atomic Kitten that the original 'remark' was usually aimed anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                                                    They did have - even to my heart - a couple of absolute pop classics. Still, I could never get away from the idea that while the UK had gained a new pop band, somewhere else in the country there was a Tesco missing five shelf stackers.
                                                    Fucking hell. Why not join Julie Burchill and call them "pram-face" while you're at it?

Some of the best pop music ever has been made by working-class people, male or female. Bill Withers was working in a factory when his first album was out. Sandie Shaw worked in a factory. Madonna worked in Dunkin Donuts. Endless list.
                                                    Last edited by MsD; 19-05-2020, 11:04.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X