Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WOM
    replied
    Oh, it was a very country affair, that's for sure. 99.8% white dudes. More beards than I thought possible. My wife treated herself to the famous 'Who the fuck is Sturgill Simpson?' T-shirt. Beer was sold right up until the last song.

Leave a comment:

• Sits
    replied
    Originally posted by WOM View Post
    As an aside, we say Tyler Childers / Sturgill Simpson last week as a co-headlining sort of thing, and they both played full 90 minute sets. Sturgill might have run to two hours, actually.
    Did I comment last time you mentioned these dudes how epically Country their names are?

Leave a comment:

• WOM
    replied
    As an aside, we say Tyler Childers / Sturgill Simpson last week as a co-headlining sort of thing, and they both played full 90 minute sets. Sturgill might have run to two hours, actually.

Leave a comment:

• WOM
    replied
    Any reason for such a short set? Was it a dedicated ticketed event, or were they part of a larger lineup?

Leave a comment:

• scratchmonkey
    replied
    Saw The Melvins last month and it was great, very short set as it goes; however, no real dragging points and there's something to be said for a band doing a 10-song set with no encores and just going full-bore the entire time. Have tickets to Napalm Death and Sleaford Mods next month (not together, two separate gigs), hopefully the show(s) will go on.

Leave a comment:

• MsD
    replied
    I've seen half of Starsailor do an intimate acoustic set and they were indeed excellent.

Leave a comment:

• Foot of Astaire's
    replied
    I went to see Embrace last Friday in the Victoria warehouse in Salford Quays. They've always been a band that could churn out crowd pleasing anthems but I'm afraid they're just not a very good live band. It's the 5th time I've seen them and to be honest I really should have come to this conclusion much sooner.

Each time there's been some sound problems but the atmosphere has won out. Not this time sadly, for half the gig it sounded like Les Dawson had rose again and was doing his best work with distorted speakers. I couldn't excuse them by blaming the acoustics as the support band, Starsailor, were excellent.

Leave a comment:

• Walt Flanagans Dog
    replied
    Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
    I was in two minds about whether or not to go to the gig above, I was tired yesterday morning, but I was glad I went. 7 bands for 40.00 euro and for a good cause, though there was an amazing amount of spectacularly drunk people there for a Tuesday night.

Every band had three songs, except for the Fontaines, who rattled through six of their crowd pleasers in the last half an hour. Melts were really good as usual, Just Mustard were someone I hadn't seen before, enjoyable Goth noisemakers but stupid name. Kneecap were the crowd favourites but left me cold, Beastie Boys tribute was all I took away from them.
    Murder Capital are still the next big thing IMHO.
    Saw Murder Capital last month - I was in Glasgow for consecutive gig nights and was due to do a run on the Sunday morning but it got cancelled due to storm whatever it was that weekend, which opened the door for a few pints for a change. It was in QMU, a venue with one of the least efficient crowd distribution dynamics of any venue I've been to, so we battled through the densely populated part near the back and unintentionally ended up right at the front. Anyway all the circumstances combined to produce a great gig, really like how they go about things and allow a lot of space and poise in songs that lesser bands would just rattle through.

Leave a comment:

• Benjm
    replied
    Strong work, elguapo. I took the easy route and stayed on the sofa on Monday night.

Leave a comment:

• elguapo4
    replied
    I was in two minds about whether or not to go to the gig above, I was tired yesterday morning, but I was glad I went. 7 bands for 40.00 euro and for a good cause, though there was an amazing amount of spectacularly drunk people there for a Tuesday night.

Every band had three songs, except for the Fontaines, who rattled through six of their crowd pleasers in the last half an hour. Melts were really good as usual, Just Mustard were someone I hadn't seen before, enjoyable Goth noisemakers but stupid name. Kneecap were the crowd favourites but left me cold, Beastie Boys tribute was all I took away from them.
    Murder Capital are still the next big thing IMHO.

Leave a comment:

• elguapo4
    replied
    Fontaines DC are curating a gig supporting local homeless charity Focus Point tomorrow night in the Olympia theatre. I've seen them, the Murder Capital and Melts, the other bands are all new to me. Should be a good night out.

Leave a comment:

• White No Sugar
    replied
    The Howlers two weeks back. Very good. Power trio tinged with surf rock, film noir, Tarantino and a bit of Miles Sketches Of Spain type stuff hoyed in for good measure. Far better than their Spotify material suggests.

Saw Parliamo debut in London last week at Hope n Anchor. A Perth, Scotland five piece. Very 60s and very wordy. A lairy Housemartins, Smiths, Pontoons, Undertones, Monkees, Las etc etc. Great running on the spot during instrumental breaks by the frontman mixed in with Curtisesque dancing. Their song “Sweet” is a stone classic. Only 19 watching including 3 from support band. Shame that, but there’ll be a lot more soon.

Hotel Lux tomorrow at The Waiting Room.

Leave a comment:

• Gangster Octopus
    replied
    Originally posted by TonTon View Post
    I have awful taste.
    Ha!

Leave a comment:

• Benjm
    replied
    I've seen them a few times. They can be a bit static on stage but Helen Marnie has become a more assertive performer over the years and they have decent visuals and lights to hold the attention.

Leave a comment:

• DCI Harry Batt
    replied
    I preferred the record, I have to say. But it was a very long time ago. And I have awful taste.

Leave a comment:

• Benjm
    replied
    I'm umming and ahhing about whether to go to see Ladytron tomorrow. They're playing at Heaven, a show rescheduled from last October for health reasons, and it isn't sold out. They have had some very bad luck over the years with record companies going bust and the like, losing career momentum as a result. The previous London date in this comeback was at the Roundhouse just over a year ago, so the curse may still be at work.

Leave a comment:

• DCI Harry Batt
    replied
    Ooh, I might have seen Ladytron once, at Reading.

Leave a comment:

• KGR
    replied
    Ladytron at Manchester on Saturday night.

My first time seeing them, long been on my Wanted List.

Much better than expected. Always worry whether a gig will deliver the right sound, often vocals are too low in the mix and drums too high. But not this time. Helen's voice is a beautiful instrument, commented Mrs KGR, and she is right, of course.

Plenty of cuts from the latest album, You've Changed being the best of those.

Leave a comment:

• Walt Flanagans Dog
    replied
    Originally posted by MsD View Post
    Loved The Hanging Stars last night, excellent set, lovely dreamy guitar twang, not bad for Walthamstow.

They weren't the main act. Gospelbeach headlined. A bit country for my tastes, although my mate in California knows them (he's British, ex Mighty Lemon Drop) and says the singer was an old-school punk. Hence, perhaps, the lyric "in the desert I've a thousand things I wanna say to you". Still, I enjoyed them and my country DJ gal pal was dancing like crazy in her booth.

I saw him on the way out and was going to say "you know my mate Dave" but he looked grumpy so I thought better of it.

The Moth Club was packed and we didn't get there early enough to get a prime spot, but luckily not too many gig-yappers around me. I gave one bloke daggers for talking, only to be introduced to him a little later as the editor of some music mag or other.
    My mate was at this gig, and thoroughly enjoyed both.

Leave a comment:

• Snake Plissken
    replied
    Forgot to do a write up about seeing Inhaler the other week. Probably destined for big things. Not least because the lead singer is Elijah Hewson, son of Paul Hewson. And he's uncannily like his dad on stage in terms of stage presence and charisma. Band is very tight (a really good bass player) with some more than decent songs. But they've definitely Got It.

Tonight, my (mumble-somethingth) time watching Terrorvision, supported by The Virginmarys. Oo-wop, bop-a-oo-wop...

Leave a comment:

• MsD
    replied
    My Lemon Drops mate has a lovely story about the Gospelbeach singer, who once gave him extra discount on a sofa.
    And my DJ mate got high praise from Peter Perrett, which she's chuffed about.

Leave a comment:

• MsD
    replied
    Loved The Hanging Stars last night, excellent set, lovely dreamy guitar twang, not bad for Walthamstow.

They weren't the main act. Gospelbeach headlined. A bit country for my tastes, although my mate in California knows them (he's British, ex Mighty Lemon Drop) and says the singer was an old-school punk. Hence, perhaps, the lyric "in the desert I've a thousand things I wanna say to you". Still, I enjoyed them and my country DJ gal pal was dancing like crazy in her booth.

I saw him on the way out and was going to say "you know my mate Dave" but he looked grumpy so I thought better of it.

The Moth Club was packed and we didn't get there early enough to get a prime spot, but luckily not too many gig-yappers around me. I gave one bloke daggers for talking, only to be introduced to him a little later as the editor of some music mag or other.

Leave a comment:

• RobW
    replied
    Originally posted by Benjm View Post
    Dog Unit's description on the George Tavern events page made me chuckle:
    They were very good. Nice 26 minute set, and I liked their matching boiler suits. I have no idea whether the headline act turned up, and I left virtually straight after Dog Unit. Perfect night out. Bit of reading on the tube, one pint of guinness, see the band I wanted to, and home before 11pm. My mate James, who is the DU bassist did say they have an album out soon and it's being mixed by someone vaguely well known, but he's not allowed to say. Very mysterious.

Leave a comment:

• Benjm
    replied
    That's disappointing and a pain about the lost cash. No other possibilities in Cologne that night?

New Order have cancelled March dates in Japan for coronavirus related reasons. Presumably there will be more announcements like this, although trying to predict what the situation might be in the medium to longer term must be pretty speculative.
    Last edited by Benjm; 26-02-2020, 13:56. Reason: Edit: dates sooner than initially thought

Leave a comment:

• imp
    replied
    My first gig of the year was shaping up to be Lana del Rey in Cologne next week, but she's selfishly lost her voice and called it off. There's a refund (if you send the actual physical tickets back - perhaps they're worried that you'll use them to get in to the arena that night and imagine you're at a Lana del Rey concert), but the hotel was one of those 'pay now for cheaper deal, but no refund on cancellation' affairs, so for the three of us we're down €160. Train tickets should be refundable with processing charge deducted.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X