Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Benjm
    replied
    Here's the distanced seating plan for the downstairs at the Jazz Cafe, usually an unreserved standing area. The venue capacity is reduced from 450 to 150.

I can see myself developing a spotterish interest in how different venues approach this.

Leave a comment:

• Benjm
    replied
    Thanks, Walts; glad it went well. I'm increasingly convinced that I won't be seeing anything this side of Christmas. The Jazz Cafe has reopened, with some kind of distancing plan for the downstairs presumably. The names coming up seem to be at the less well known/tribute act end of their usual roster, at a guess reflecting the financial constraints from a reduced capacity as well as bigger acts not being out on tour. The Barbican have announced some concerts for the autumn; The Divine Comedy, Richard Dawson and a few more. The capacity in the hall has been reduced to a couple of hundred (down from 1950) so the audience are props for the livestream as much as anything else. The Barbican has a membership scheme so it's unlikely that many tickets will find their way to general sale.

Leave a comment:

• Walt Flanagans Dog
    replied
    ....all went surprisingly well, was impressed how well organised it was. Some of the aspects of the detailed instructions turned out to be red herrings - you had to put your car reg in when buying the tickets but no one was checking them, and you were given a 20 minute arrival window but that didn't seem to be checked (and we were slightly early anyway) but can see why they wanted to be seen to do something to control access. We were allocated pen 43 out of 500 so were close to the stage. I didn't pre-order food or drink but even that turned out to be you were sent a voucher to pick it up at the bar. There were fridges in the VIP pens but the rest had a washing up bowl with water in, in order to keep cans etc cool.

But anyway it was overall positive, the distancing was well observed and the pens spread out a bit more than strictly necessary. They had a good set up - it looked, sounded and felt like a proper gig - and it's a pity they couldn't have got it up and running earlier in the summer and got a few more things on. I don't think anyone is getting rich off the whole thing, and as I said earlier I think Virgin Money and to a lesser extent other sponsors are underwriting it. Last night's show was maybe half-sold, which made it easier getting out afterwards.

Unless they announce something else interesting (things are getting added at fairly short notice) that'll be it for me again until 2021.

Leave a comment:

• Walt Flanagans Dog
    replied
    Originally posted by Benjm View Post
    Yes, he regularly plays premium priced shows in smaller venues than you'd expect in London anyway so it's not a massive shock to the system for his fans. It's not a transferable model for many other bands.

I'll be interested to hear what you make of the distanced outdoor show, Walts.
    A mate was at the Supergrass a couple of weeks ago and spoke very highly of the set-up, the light and sound production was apparently surprisingly good. I think a lot depends on where you are allocated, as it is basically 2,500 people spread over a space that could easily accommodate 20,000 in normal times, so the back pens are some distance from the stage (but they are on platforms). I don't think this is a sustainable model either, think they have been reliant on the sponsorship from Virgin Money to get them on. For this show it was ?25 per person and a flat ?20 per "pen", regardless of how many you have in (but think the max. is 5).

Leave a comment:

• Benjm
    replied
    Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
    Those Van Morrison gigs are very expensive, although for fans I suppose it's an opportunity to see him in a relatively intimate setting.
    Yes, he regularly plays premium priced shows in smaller venues than you'd expect in London anyway so it's not a massive shock to the system for his fans. It's not a transferable model for many other bands.

I'll be interested to hear what you make of the distanced outdoor show, Walts.

Leave a comment:

• Walt Flanagans Dog
    replied
    Originally posted by Benjm View Post
    London's Blues Kitchen bar/restaurants have been advertising live music in some form for a few weeks now. Van Morrison is playing two socially distanced concerts at the Electric Ballroom this coming weekend, supposedly. These sound like semi-stunt events to prove that it can be done. We're not hearing much in the way of firm re-opening plans from the well known smaller venues.
    Those Van Morrison gigs are very expensive, although for fans I suppose it's an opportunity to see him in a relatively intimate setting.

We're going to see Frank Turner at one of those socially distanced outdoor gigs at Newcastle racecourse next week. You are allocated a pen, and they have tables and chairs (and a fridge, I believe), and pre-ordering for food and drink.

Leave a comment:

• Benjm
    replied
    London's Blues Kitchen bar/restaurants have been advertising live music in some form for a few weeks now. Van Morrison is playing two socially distanced concerts at the Electric Ballroom this coming weekend, supposedly. These sound like semi-stunt events to prove that it can be done. We're not hearing much in the way of firm re-opening plans from the well known smaller venues.

Leave a comment:

• elguapo4
    replied
    Hopeful news following consultation between the arts minister and venue owners and promoters. Live music may return shortly with no alcohol being served. The latter doesn't bother me, I rarely drink at indoor gigs, and one of the major pains in the arse is getting constantly bumped into by people coming and going from the bar.

Leave a comment:

• Bizarre Löw Triangle
    replied
    Was going to see Martin Hayes' new band this week and Adwaith in a couple of weeks time - both now cancelled.

Going to watch Ani Glass' and Georgia Ruth's virtual instagram gig tonight though.

Leave a comment:

• scratchmonkey
    replied
    Mods show got postponed to October, thankfully, for all my wrongheaded "the show must go on" blather before things got pretty obviously worse.

Leave a comment:

• Sporting
    replied
    Never heard or heard of Sink Ya Teeth before, Youtubed a bit, Very nice music.

Leave a comment:

• Benjm
    replied
    Originally posted by MsD View Post
    I was going to go to TFW as well, but yeh. We can wait, I guess.
    I'm glad I went to SYT but with the way the external environment has developed, even over the weekend, postponing TFW feels like the right call.

Leave a comment:

• MsD
    replied
    Glad it went well for SYT. Was invited but found the Peckham bit a step too far. I went once in my 30s <shudder>. Nothing personal to Peckham, but it's a long trek from fabulous Hackney.
    Really hope to get to see them when everything returns to normal.

I was going to go to TFW as well, but yeh. We can wait, I guess.

Leave a comment:

• Benjm
    replied
    I went to see Sink Ya Teeth at Peckham Audio on Friday night, which looks like being my last show for a while.

On a first visit, the venue was impressive. Capacity is 200-250 at a guess. You enter on an upper level, which wraps round the room on three sides offering lots of vantage points for those who don't want to go down into the main standing area/dancefloor. There are plenty of access points to go up and down, reducing bunching in the crowd. One pillar breaks up the standing area but otherwise no impediments to sightlines. The full sized bar upstairs has a good selection of draught beers and there are a decent number of well kept toilets. These are unisex but with a couple of the cubicles marked as female priority. The sound was crisp and detailed on this showing.

SYT were on good form, ruefully acknowledging the circumstances. Their new album builds upon the first, pinching good bits from different electronic musics of the last 40 years but given a strong identity of their own, helped by Maria's distinctive vocals and stage presence. They follow the Sleaford Mods approach of travelling light to be able to get to shows on the train but with live bass, keys and percussion it definitely feels like a live performance rather than a PA.

Next up was to have been The Fallen Women's Mark E Smith tribute a week today but that is a now cancelled/indefinitely postponed.

Leave a comment:

• WOM
    replied
    Oh, I see. Yeah, if there was a three-act bill then a 10 song set wouldn't bother me. Not like when you'd spend a week's pay for Morrissey, get 45 minutes (with no Smiths material) and he's walk off.

Leave a comment:

• scratchmonkey
    replied
    Originally posted by WOM View Post
    Any reason for such a short set? Was it a dedicated ticketed event, or were they part of a larger lineup?
    Three groups on the bill, so pretty typical line-up, I think that they're just old (King Buzzo's 55), and they recognize that they've only got so many high-octane minutes in them, so might as well go 100% for a short set (and they've played pretty much the exact same set on every stop this tour). I certainly wasn't disappointed.

Leave a comment:

• elguapo4
    replied
    My brothers birthday is at the end of the month. Paul Heaton and Jackie Abbott are playing here in April, I'm still not sure about getting him tickets, if it's cancelled it's a damp squib of a present.

Leave a comment:

• WOM
    replied
    Oh, it was a very country affair, that's for sure. 99.8% white dudes. More beards than I thought possible. My wife treated herself to the famous 'Who the fuck is Sturgill Simpson?' T-shirt. Beer was sold right up until the last song.

Leave a comment:

• Sits
    replied
    Originally posted by WOM View Post
    As an aside, we say Tyler Childers / Sturgill Simpson last week as a co-headlining sort of thing, and they both played full 90 minute sets. Sturgill might have run to two hours, actually.
    Did I comment last time you mentioned these dudes how epically Country their names are?

Leave a comment:

• WOM
    replied
    As an aside, we say Tyler Childers / Sturgill Simpson last week as a co-headlining sort of thing, and they both played full 90 minute sets. Sturgill might have run to two hours, actually.

Leave a comment:

• WOM
    replied
    Any reason for such a short set? Was it a dedicated ticketed event, or were they part of a larger lineup?

Leave a comment:

• scratchmonkey
    replied
    Saw The Melvins last month and it was great, very short set as it goes; however, no real dragging points and there's something to be said for a band doing a 10-song set with no encores and just going full-bore the entire time. Have tickets to Napalm Death and Sleaford Mods next month (not together, two separate gigs), hopefully the show(s) will go on.

Leave a comment:

• MsD
    replied
    I've seen half of Starsailor do an intimate acoustic set and they were indeed excellent.

Leave a comment:

• Foot of Astaire's
    replied
    I went to see Embrace last Friday in the Victoria warehouse in Salford Quays. They've always been a band that could churn out crowd pleasing anthems but I'm afraid they're just not a very good live band. It's the 5th time I've seen them and to be honest I really should have come to this conclusion much sooner.

Each time there's been some sound problems but the atmosphere has won out. Not this time sadly, for half the gig it sounded like Les Dawson had rose again and was doing his best work with distorted speakers. I couldn't excuse them by blaming the acoustics as the support band, Starsailor, were excellent.

Leave a comment:

• Walt Flanagans Dog
    replied
    Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
    I was in two minds about whether or not to go to the gig above, I was tired yesterday morning, but I was glad I went. 7 bands for 40.00 euro and for a good cause, though there was an amazing amount of spectacularly drunk people there for a Tuesday night.

Every band had three songs, except for the Fontaines, who rattled through six of their crowd pleasers in the last half an hour. Melts were really good as usual, Just Mustard were someone I hadn't seen before, enjoyable Goth noisemakers but stupid name. Kneecap were the crowd favourites but left me cold, Beastie Boys tribute was all I took away from them.
    Murder Capital are still the next big thing IMHO.
    Saw Murder Capital last month - I was in Glasgow for consecutive gig nights and was due to do a run on the Sunday morning but it got cancelled due to storm whatever it was that weekend, which opened the door for a few pints for a change. It was in QMU, a venue with one of the least efficient crowd distribution dynamics of any venue I've been to, so we battled through the densely populated part near the back and unintentionally ended up right at the front. Anyway all the circumstances combined to produce a great gig, really like how they go about things and allow a lot of space and poise in songs that lesser bands would just rattle through.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X