Musical band members you're fairly sure weren't plugged in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
    Andrew Eldritch has claimed that Patricia Morrison was only hired in the Sisters of Mercy for her look and that someone else did the bass and female vocals. Considering that Morrison can play and sing, this is probably a case of Eldritch being a complete twat. Again.
    More than likely - she referenced their falling-out on her solo album. Apparently Eldritch owed her a shedload of money, among other issues.

Comment

What's the story with Boney M? I believe they did live shows, but wasn't Liz Mitchell the only one of them who sang on the records?

I'm guessing Rob'n'Fab from Milli Vanilli didn't do much live work.

Comment

In the most recent interview that I read with Andrew Eldritch he was saying how one of the faces that he always looks forward to bumping into on the circuit is Peter Hook. The tips that they share on maintaining cordial and respectful relations with former co-workers must be absolute gold dust.

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post
          What's the story with Boney M? I believe they did live shows, but wasn't Liz Mitchell the only one of them who sang on the records?
          Pretty much - Frank Farian covered all of Bobby Farrell's vocal stylings.

Seems bizarre that he simply couldn't find someone with the requisite look who could actually do the voice as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
            Now that Florian has gone, it is very much Ralf Hutter plus three. Ralf, obviously, is the one turning in a traditional musical performance, playing keyboards and singing. Two of them apparently control drums, samples and other loops, perhaps more like live mixing than playing per se. Number four is responsible for the visuals. They are plugged in, in that what the audience hears and sees would be affected if one of them wandered off for a fag break and committed followers claim that there are discernible differences between individual shows. That said, what the Kraftwerkblokes do isn't likely to bring them many invitations to jam around the camp fire with Paul Weller.
            That's actually really interesting to learn what the division of labour is within the 'band'.

Course, with Kraftwerk, you're fairly sure any number of them need to be literally plugged in:

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
              this is probably a case of Eldritch being a complete twat. Again.
              You could say he was an abomination.

I'll get me coat.

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post
                Liz Mitchell and Marcia Barrett were allowed to sing. Frank Farian (who before he became a svengali was a Schlager star) did the vocals for Bobby and, bizarrely, Maizie Williams.

I once saw a video of Boney M. performing live, still in their pomp. Bobby Farrell was singing. Let's say that he was no Farian.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                  In the most recent interview that I read with Andrew Eldritch he was saying how one of the faces that he always looks forward to bumping into on the circuit is Peter Hook. The tips that they share on maintaining cordial and respectful relations with former co-workers must be absolute gold dust.
                  They shoulda formed a supergroup with Mark E Smith

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
                    I once saw a video of Boney M. performing live, still in their pomp. Bobby Farrell was singing. Let's say that he was no Farian.
                    Farian actually allowed this to happen?

Comment

I once saw a version of Boney M on German TV, featuring Bobby and three other unidentified female singers.

I suspect there are (or have been) several Boney Ms doing the rounds.

Bobby died a few years ago didn't he?

Comment

Yep - on the same date as Rasputin, amusingly. (Albeit ninety-four years later.)

Comment

But, like Rasputin, he "danced really wunderbar".

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post

That one's a definite - I remember seeing a clip on TV Offal where the audio engineer for a Wings gig had isolated the mic nearest to her. "Caterwauling" would be putting it very kindly.
                            I distinctly remember reading a review of an early Wings gig when McCartney informed the sound desk that his mic wasn't working to which several audience members shouted "give it to the missus then" - which didn't go down well with Paul.

Comment

Working...
                            X