Vaughan Oliver and Peter Saville

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vaughan Oliver and Peter Saville

Factory Records designer Saville picked up a CBE in the New Year's Honours, news eclipsed by the announcement today of the passing of Vaughan Oliver, creator of 4AD's entirely distinctive visual identity.

They were such nice records to buy! I wasn't into 'brands' or design when I was a kid but I knew that these were records I liked that were also lovely to look at. God knows how many indie kids Oliver and Saville made aware of the beauty of little things.

Comment

I have always assumed that the overlaid images on the Colourbox sleeves were something that VO had worked up himself. In fact, it is a Japanese printer's 'get ready' sheet; scrap paper sent through the press to absorb excess ink before a running a job, picking up different designs as it is reused. That is great, to have come across a found object so complementary to the VO/4AD aesthetic and incorporated it into the designs, in turn influencing later work.

Comment

Both mighty fine designers, who had the privilege of adorning some of the best music of that decade.

RIP, Vaughan Oliver.

Comment

Working...
        X