Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where do you find old Peel shows?

Comment

He probably recorded them at the time, no? I certainly did.

Comment

https://soundcloud.com/search?q=John...20Show%20%2BdB

Comment

Ooh, some there I’ve not heard - at least, not since they went out.

Cheers, S.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
            Where do you find old Peel shows?
            This is a good place to start.

https://peel.fandom.com/wiki/Mooo_Server

Comment

Wow, so much is on the internet. Thanks

Comment

On Monday I did the family ironing from last week's washing. I started at 7:30pm and my playlist went as follows:

Catch up on the Chart Music playlist on Youtube for the 1987 episode, including - Master Team and Runway episodes (I've never heard of these gameshows, but thought they were great)
                University Challenge
                Netflix - Fighting with my Family - a film based on the rise of Paige in WWE.
                Channel hopping until completion at around 11:30 or so.

This will be my standard Monday night going forwards...

Comment

4 hours ironing!

Comment

Family of 6 - I only do it once a week. I spend a lot of time gawping at the screen as well...

Comment

Respect, Simon G. Even though I like ironing, the cleaned laundry basket can still lie around for weeks gaining new layers until I actually get around to it.

Comment

I don't mind ironing (but back in the day when my now ex lived with me those fitted ladies' shirts were an absolute bugger to iron). I always get too warm, so it's often strip down to the keks and any neighbours who can see into my back bedroom window will get a probably unpleasant surprise of 17 stone of me doing the ironing and listening to a spot of Billy Joel, Keston Cobblers' Club or some classical music as I try to educate myself.

The only music I have found that is satisfactory to block out the screeching noise of the Victoria Line is Amon Amarth. They were good live, mind.

Comment

Tonight while ironing I was listening to my annual compilation tape from 1997. Older OTFers may remember a time when I would impose this on innocent listeners. It evolved into a CD in 2003, and a playlist about a decade later, but that never felt right and the whole project was discontinued. (This year, though, as I have a new cassette deck, I may go retro and start all over again.) Anyway, the cover looks like this:

That's impette 1, aged one, with her first boombox. The track listing was this:

It starts out like an indie-dinosaur compilation, which is pretty much what I was at the time. 'Alma Matters' still sounds great, though, which is more than I can say for James. Then there's a fine run of tracks through bonkers Björk, droningly mellow Teenage Fanclub, acoustically manic Throwing Muses, tender Tindersticks and the incredible Curtis Mayfield (at last, not a fucking indie band) with my favourite song on this whole cassette, until we get to Van the Man mailing it in, as he had been doing by that point for some years. We're in 'the Irish section' now - the Mary Coughlan's okay, the Sinead O'Connor is lovely (much to my surprise), and then (I was just tentatively getting into country) Robert Earl Keen weighs in with a tale about having a nervous breakdown in an all-you-can-eat Chinese restaurant. Amazingly, it works - it's both hilarious and alarming. Then two very short tracks (Bettie Serveert and Robert Wyatt - who will both appear on side two) to use up the rest of the tape. These calculations were very important in the last century.

Side 2 starts brilliantly, and the Monaco track is my only concession to what might have been happening with dance/electronic music at the time (due to the cassette's cover star, I missed all that completely). The Robert Wyatt track is beautiful, unique and immense, like much of his work, while the Foo Fighters and Bettie Serveert faithfully hack out the remains of whatever was still lying around from trad. new wave and grunge (though I'm probably getting my categories all wrong - the last category I really understood was disco). The Prefab Sprout track's from 'Andromeda Heights', but their time has passed, while the Jane Siberry makes me cringe a bit - I was a sucker for anything with an acoustic guitar at the time, quality control be damned. The Portishead sounds a bit fucking rough, to be frank, while the vocal version of Dance Macabre was clearly a space-filler (it's a warbly, almost parodic take on the untouchable orchestral firework). The Nick Cave track's lukewarm and forgettable, and then I think the tape's done until... about 30 seconds after 'Idiot Prayer' there's a warped few seconds, a synth, a pop-beat and we get the Tellytubbies theme tune. Finally, Nina's favourite hit of that year, her only favourite hit of that year. I'm on the floor under the ironing board at this point, recovering enough to sing along for the rest of the track until the tape runs out. I will probably wake up in the middle of the night with that careening around my cranium until dawn. "Tinky-Winky, Dipsy, Lala..." Props to the lads who made that, and all the drugs they were on (is there any memorable kids series that was conceived without drugs?).

Comment

I can't imagine not ironing the majority of my clothes - work shirts and trousers, but also jeans*, tees and polos. I also do the nipper's school uniforms and a couple of my wife's more formal tops.

​​​​​​I do it all in one hit on Sunday evenings, usually tuned in to Forgotten 80s on Absolute Radio - primarily because I enjoy a lot of music from that period, but also because I went to school with the presenter (and he's a regular WSC contributor to boot).

* before anyone suggests it, no I don't put creases down my jeans - why was that ever a thing?
                            Last edited by andrew7610; 07-04-2020, 08:41.

Comment

Working...
                            X