Music While Ironing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Music While Ironing

This important thread is so that people can talk about the music they listen to while ironing. If you don't iron, then I do not understand your world view. It's one of the most meditative activities that technology has bestowed upon the human race.

Just listened to Roberta Flack's Killing Me Softly, Donny Hathaway's Everything Is Everything, and ELO's A New World Record. It was a big pile that had been accumulating for the best part of three weeks, but the time passed quickly. Flack's version of Suzanne meanders on in a long and lovely fashion and you forget what song it is. I think I could listen to Hathaway's The Ghetto on a 5-hour loop and not get bored. ELO take me back to those idyllic days when I was irrevocably convinced they were The Best Band of All Time (that is, I was 14).

I despise ironing so I usually listen to something loud and angry. Seems to speed the entire process up.

Comment

What is this ironing that you speak of?

Comment

I don't mind ironing but I don't like having to do it after work. I used to get up an hour early and put on vintage TV, they had some good stuff in the morning. Pity they went bust.

Comment

As far as I'm concerned, ironing is something that's only done in a panic the day before a wedding. Why would you ever do it any other time?

Anyway,

Steam by Peter Gabriel
          Crease Lightning
          etc...

Comment

Anything (obviously) by Iron Maiden.

Comment

Under Press(ure)

Comment

I do my ironing on a Sunday evening and I watch TV - usually NFL Redzone. When it's not the NFL season then I'll watch a series of some sort.

Being a family of 6 and the fact I only do it on a Sunday means that it takes me anything between 4 and 5 hours.

Comment

I will ask the guy at 99c Cleaners what the people listen to when they do my shirts (hanger, no starch for those that are interested). To which ursus arctos - do you know anyone who gets their shirts boxed? It has never made sense to me why you would want the subsequent sharp creases in a shirt.

Comment

Radio 4 or Kermode and Mayo normally, of course but, last Saturday, it was The Heavy as their drummer has just recorded a couple of songs of ours and I realised I had never heard them. They were different from what I thought and very Mrs BE-friendly

Comment

Usually watched a subtitled film or TV show*, because then it will have more of my attention (than it would if I was sitting fidgeting around with my phone and/or laptop).

*I actually watch most stuff (some stuff still isn't subtitled, some live programming is not suited because the captions are so far behind) subtitled because of my hearing, but here I mean films/shows in other languages.

But yeah anyway

Wheels of Steel, Saxon
                      Alone Again Ore, Love.

Comment

do you know anyone who gets their shirts boxed? It has never made sense to me why you would want the subsequent sharp creases in a shirt.
                        Not currently, though I do see people walking around with boxes.

I've always considered it a "tell" for sociopathy.

Comment

Ironing is my moment to get DEEP with music. Door closed, echo dot throbbing, stay O U T out until this pile of shirts have been decreased.

Of late I've enjoyed listening to "And justice for all" by Metallica and John McGeogh era Siouxsie.

Comment

Strictly instrumental. Avoid anything where you want to sing lead vocals, or you'll burn your lips.

Comment

Haven’t ironed anything in at least a year. I just use that wrinkle releaser stuff or just take my shirts to the dry cleaner. It’s worth it because I always get those starch burn stains.

Comment

Originally posted by steveeeeeeeee View Post
                                Ironing is my moment to get DEEP with music. Door closed, echo dot throbbing, stay O U T out until this pile of shirts have been decreased.

Of late I've enjoyed listening to "And justice for all" by Metallica and John McGeogh era Siouxsie.
                                Finally, someone gets this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
                                  I will ask the guy at 99c Cleaners what the people listen to when they do my shirts (hanger, no starch for those that are interested). To which ursus arctos - do you know anyone who gets their shirts boxed? It has never made sense to me why you would want the subsequent sharp creases in a shirt.
                                  As someone who occasionally has my shirts ironed through the laundry service in a hotel, and I get given the option on a hanger or folded up (though I have never been offered in a box, because even hotels aren't that weird), I will ask for on a hanger if I am wearing it while staying at that hotel, or folded if I will need it in my next location (and hence it needs to be packed). So, that's the answer why anyone would want it presented to you folded up.

Comment

This folded shirt conversation's how I imagine the conversations travelling businessmen have, until one morning one of them lets his head drop on to his bowl of cornflakes and starts sobbing uncontrollably.

Comment

That is interesting, adhoc. I had never remotely considered the traveling rationale. That makes a lot of sense.

Comment

I will confess to having done the same under the same circumstances, though I don't see as it applicable to the usual type walking the streets of Manhattan with a box of shirts.

There is almost certainly a Korean language forum somewhere with a dreadfully well-informed discussion of this topic.

Comment

Ironing is a joy. It's like vacuuming...you start with a messy situation and end with a tidy situation. It's simple, immediate and sublime.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                                            Ironing is a joy. It's like vacuuming...you start with a messy situation and end with a tidy situation. It's simple, immediate and sublime.
                                            You speak my language. Or as frau imp always says to me, „You‘re more German than the fucking Germans.“

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                                              But then when it doesn't end up perfect, I'm even more unhappy than I was with the mess.

Comment

It's not immediate, either.

Comment

Bonkers, the pair of yiz. It's a satisfying before / after scenario in about two minutes. Can't be beaten. I used to stand and do twenty shirts at once sometimes. I'd recommend old reruns of The Rockford Files as accompaniment.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X