Musicians and the General Election

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some musicians from my Facebook:

Simon Raymonde (formerly of Cocteau Twins and now label boss at Bella Union) and Boo Hewerdine (formerly of The Bible) are both displaying Labour banners.

Jim Sutherland (formerly of The Lanterns and Aberfeldy) is unsurprisingly SNP.

Comment

I've been listening to the excellent internet radio station NTS most of the day and every single DJ has been relentlessly, if funkily, telling people to go and vote, and to vote Labour (or otherwise where appropriate). I doubt they have that many listeners (though they should have) but they seem people who wouldn't normally talk about politics while spinning a music set.

Comment

It's a bitter-sweet thing to say, but the fact that all the cool musicians, along with all the woke footballers and all the instagram influencers didn't seem to influence many people at all at least implies that voters think for themselves and are not persuaded by someone who happens to be famous. After all, the opinions of pop and sports stars are no more or less valid than those of your local butcher, or doctor, or hairdresser or indeed anyone of us.

Comment

Well, you’d hope that they might actually be persuaded by their own consciences, but there we are...

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
            It's a bitter-sweet thing to say, but the fact that all the cool musicians, along with all the woke footballers and all the instagram influencers didn't seem to influence many people at all at least implies that voters think for themselves and are not persuaded by someone who happens to be famous. After all, the opinions of pop and sports stars are no more or less valid than those of your local butcher, or doctor, or hairdresser or indeed anyone of us.
            Hard to say. A lot of young people voted labor and turnout was fairly high, wasn’t it?

Comment

Working...
            X