Billie Holiday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Billie Holiday

I was in a restaurant last night that played some old French songs and the vocalist had clearly absorbed Billie's Teddy Wilson era style, swinging behind the beat with a lot of implied irony.

But then a huge number of singers are falsely compared to her while sounding nothing like her.

So I am wondering where she stands today. Was she just of her time or is she timeless? Do you skip some of her phases, like I skip the Decca strings recordings except Lover Man? Is she only effective on quality songs rather than the cast-offs Colombia often gave her? Is she as emotionally engaging as Ella Fitzgerald or Aretha Franklin, despite a much narrower octave range?
    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 25-11-2019, 12:14.

She is surely in the top five innovators in all of jazz. You will barely find a horn player who does not acknowledge her as an influence, especially in terms of her phrasing and timing, or who does not like her. For me, Ella Fitzgerald isn't even on the same page.

Comment

I'm a big BH fan, but funnily enough am going through an Ella phase this week (listened to Billie and it made me too sad). Ella's version of Loverman comes nowhere close, though, it's not her kind of song, whereas she does A Foggy Day in London Town or Dream a Little Dream of Me with Louis Armstrong brilliantly. Just two different kinds of singers.

Back to Billie, timeless, powerful, painful, raw. Her singing Strange Fruit is almost unbearable. I adore her but just can't listen most of the time. In the 80s, when jazz was trendy, sometimes people would have her on in the background and that seemed wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by MsD View Post
        Back to Billie, timeless, powerful, painful, raw. Her singing Strange Fruit is almost unbearable.
        Utterly.

I've never been a huge EF fan. For the most part I find her vocals clever but somewhat mannered and technical. Billie OTOH has a voice that can veer from silky to raw within a couple of notes. There's a depth there that's emotionally bottomless.

Among contemporaries Teddy Grace is closer to Billie Holliday than Ella Fitzgerald. Though she still lacks the pure soul of Lady Day.

Comment

The Day Lady Died
          by Frank O'Hara

It is 12:20 in New York a Friday
          three days after Bastille day, yes
          it is 1959 and I go get a shoeshine
          because I will get off the 4:19 in Easthampton
          at 7:15 and then go straight to dinner
          and I don’t know the people who will feed me

I walk up the muggy street beginning to sun
          and have a hamburger and a malted and buy
          an ugly NEW WORLD WRITING to see what the poets
          in Ghana are doing these days
          I go on to the bank
          and Miss Stillwagon (first name Linda I once heard)
          doesn’t even look up my balance for once in her life
          and in the GOLDEN GRIFFIN I get a little Verlaine
          for Patsy with drawings by Bonnard although I do
          think of Hesiod, trans. Richmond Lattimore or
          Brendan Behan’s new play or Le Balcon or Les Nègres
          of Genet, but I don’t, I stick with Verlaine
          after practically going to sleep with quandariness

and for Mike I just stroll into the PARK LANE
          Liquor Store and ask for a bottle of Strega and
          then I go back where I came from to 6th Avenue
          and the tobacconist in the Ziegfeld Theatre and
          casually ask for a carton of Gauloises and a carton
          of Picayunes, and a NEW YORK POST with her face on it

and I am sweating a lot by now and thinking of
          leaning on the john door in the 5 SPOT
          while she whispered a song along the keyboard
          to Mal Waldron and everyone and I stopped breathing

Comment

I picked a biography, Wishing on the Moon by Donald Clarke, off the shelf last night as I've not got round to reading it. Read the first few pages in bed - it's very political, talking about slavery.

Comment

I strongly recommend 'With Billie' by Julia Blackburn, which made Clarke's book redundant.

Comment

Well, Clarke's is the only one I have in the house, so I'll read that first. It does have good reviews, and was a gift.

Comment

Fair enough. Clarke was the first researcher to verify, using court records, that she was raped at the age of 10 by a neighbour. However, Blackburn implies that he embellishes the interview material drawn from Linda Kuehl's tapes. I will be keen to read how you feel after you've read the book.

Comment

Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 04-12-2019, 01:51.

Comment

First two photos above are from the 'Strange Fruit' recording session, 20.4.39. Not sure about the 3rd photo

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                        First two photos above are from the 'Strange Fruit' recording session, 20.4.39.
                        Wow! Someone was there with a camera. That is seriously cool.

Comment

Yes, it was the first recording session of a new company, Commodore, and I think that was the reason for the camera.

Comment

Stunning pictures. I haven't got much further with the book, election stuff in the way.

Comment

Details for the 3rd photo

https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/n...hoto/984488928

Comment

1) Her live recording of Duke Ellington's 'Do Nothin' Til You Hear From Me' from 26/1/44 for a V-Disc* is stunning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ays...index=230&t=0s

*She was unable to do any studio recording at the time due to a Musicians' Union strike.

2) 'If You Were Mine', 1935, she was only around 20 when she recorded this but she sings it like she has already lived it many times:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYdw...dmuMM&index=13
                                Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 08-01-2020, 12:08.

Comment

"I'm Pulling Through" (1940) - I had never heard this before today but it's an amazing work of art. A complex set of lyrics that reads perfectly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOGY-pWj-ro

1940-1941 is her absolute peak IMHO. Complex readings of lyrics but still with perfect tone and timing.
                                  Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 16-01-2020, 21:06.

Comment

Billie photographed by Bob Willoughby in 1952. I hadn't seen these until today and I think they are fantastic.

Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 25-07-2021, 00:33.

Comment

Fantastic.

Comment

Working...
                                      X