• Time
  • Show
Clear All

National anthem-pop music crossovers

All You Need is Love starts with La Marseillaise
    LA Woman by The Doors begins with God Save the Queen
    Star-Spangled Banner by Jimi Hendrix

Any more of these?

Mel Brooks - To Be Or Not To Be, samples the German anthem.

Comment

Comment

As some England teams have used Jerusalem - the cricket team springs to mind - then I'll go with Its Grim up North.

Comment

The Frog Princess - Divine Comedy La Marseillaise again

Comment

It could have been just a lucid dream, but I seem to recall Brian May playing God Save The Queen whilst perched on the roof of Buckingham Palace.

Comment

The drear dirge Flower of Scotland started as a 60s ballad by piss poor beardo folkies The Corries. Doubt it troubled the charts, but its later popularity is another reason to hate the Uber Unionist 80 minute nationalist Embra Doctors Bankers and Lawyers and Borders Fermers who make up the Murrayfield Massive.

Comment

Originally posted by nmrfox View Post
                As some England teams have used Jerusalem - the cricket team springs to mind - then I'll go with Its Grim up North.
                See also The Fall.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                  The drear dirge Flower of Scotland started as a 60s ballad by piss poor beardo folkies The Corries. Doubt it troubled the charts, but its later popularity is another reason to hate the Uber Unionist 80 minute nationalist Embra Doctors Bankers and Lawyers and Borders Fermers who make up the Murrayfield Massive.

Oh, it's mournful rubbish. Why on earth have Scottish sports teams gone with it when Scotland The Brave is so much better?

Comment

That was the fitba anthem when I were a lad. Don't think there's any words but, bar "Wha wouldnae fight for Charlie", and a Victorian Jacobite revival ditty wouldn't have been thought proper.

Comment

Working...
                    X