Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is 'A Fairytale of New York' homophobic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I gave up after a few pages of horribly crass straightsplaining.

Comment

And Taylor can go fuck himself once more, as it goes, having read some of his shit on this thread. Utter wanker.

Comment

Yeh. I see your point in both those posts.

Comment

2011/2012 is a long way away, politically.

It felt like things were heading in a progressive direction, then. Now, we're having to hang on to where we are.

Comment

I'd definitely put myself into the "do better" category. I have zero experience of bigoted abuse and am in no position to tell people whether they should feel offended or not.

Comment

I didn't mean to drag up old arguments or owt. I just got a bit incensed.

Comment

It's a bit surprising how reading old threads can anger-up the blood. Or make you go red faced about something you said 7 or 10 years ago. Best not to read them.

Anyway, homophobic or just outdated, new words should be sung. Shame Kirsty isn't around to sing them.

Comment

Back when OTF was better.....mmmm, no, not really.

Comment

I just assumed that word didn’t really mean the same thing in the time and place the song was written. Because it doesn’t make sense as an insult in the context. Like how “c*nt” doesn’t really mean the same thing here as it does in the UK and Ireland.

I also thought “it was just a character,” but apparently not.

If people are going to go on singing it - I didn’t know that was a thing. It doesn’t get played much here - then they should change it. It doesn’t cost anything to be kind.

Comment

Did you read as far as your own contributions in the previous debate, Ton Ton?

Comment

Originally posted by MsD View Post
                        2011/2012 is a long way away, politically.

It felt like things were heading in a progressive direction, then. Now, we're having to hang on to where we are.
                        Complacency due to Obama being in the White House and celebrities like Ellen and Elton assuming it was safe to come out? Now we have to protect our own so can't throw words around in 'ironic' or 'in character' modes because hegemonic homophobia is back in charge and yobs and gammons patrol the streets.

Also a bit of a Melody Maker bubble, although wingco's position was more nuanced and open to evolving. If you listen to the Chart Music podcast, it's interesting that Sarah Bee, the only female, is often the only dissenting voice from a narrative that seems to come from a sexist platform, albeit a funny one. Rather too many 'fannies' and 'cocks' to be purely ironic.
                        Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 29-12-2019, 09:45.

Comment

Working...
                        X