No announcement yet.

Random songs in supermarkets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, here too. Just now and again someone hijacks the PA and surprises you with something decent.

Somebody at Bunnings DIY warehouse occasionally plays The Smiths. Usually it’s 90s radio rock or current meh.

Comment

The regular supermarket I go to plays the best of the 80s. Always, so I recognize almost all of it.

Comment

Went to buy some cashews at the local mini-mart today and A Horse with no Fuckin' Name came on. I decided I could wait until tomorrow and left.

Time Has Come Today (almost certainly part of my all time Top 20) used to be on rotation at my local Safeway for years. I kept hoping it'd turn into the 11 minute album version but it never did.

Comment

I shazamed this one when shopping in my local supermarket. Great honky tonk sound for the Country fans participating in this thread:

Comment

In Morrison's café at lunchtime I heard 'This is the Day' by The The!

Comment

Echo & the Bunnymen’s The Cutter, in the waiting room at my ophthalmologist’s today.

Excellent to hear, but makes no sense; they had almost zero impact on the Australian chart. Clearly too busy with sodding Skyhooks.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                Echo & the Bunnymen’s The Cutter, in the waiting room at my ophthalmologist’s today.

Excellent to hear, but makes no sense; they had almost zero impact on the Australian chart. Clearly too busy with sodding Skyhooks.
                Not sure if i'd want to hear "spare us the cutter" in the opthamologists. I'd get an unpleasant Un Chien Andalou eyeworm

Comment

<ugh>

Comment

That reminds me, it's 20 years next month since my first cataract surgery. I must celebrate in some way.

Being far too squeamish at the time, I had it done under general anaesthetic, and was in no hurry to get the other eye done – fortunately the cataract in that one wasn't as bad, and subsequently sat there without really deteriorating for a decade plus. I'd come to terms with the notion of having it done under local by the time I had the second one operated on, during the 2012 Olympics, but it's still quite a thing to watch the scalpel hoving into view, no matter how vague and swimmy your vision is at that moment. Was oddly fascinating and quite OK though, in fact.

Comment

And I wouldn't want to think what was in his bottom drawer.

Comment

Sheena Easton's 9 to 5 / Morning Train in a hospital canteen after having "bloods" done, as we say.

Comment

I'd say that was more 'inappropriate' than 'random'.

Comment

I was sat in the car outside a supermarket last night and the trolley collecting guy had music playing really loudly on a device. It was Kokomo by the Beach Boys.

Comment

I heard “Leader of the Pack” in Trader Joe’s today. Their playlists are eclectic.

Comment

Our in-house station plays quite a narrow rotation of cheaply-bought pop from the past 10 years, which has given me exposure to the likes of (the magnificent) Taylor Swift, Anne Marie and the roughly interchangeable Rita Ora/Dua Lipa.

Every now and again though they slip in an actual classic- this evening it was "My Sweet Lord". Lovely stuff.

Comment

Nik Kershaw - The Riddle

While awaiting my veggie burger in the cafe of our office building. Didn't enjoy it.

Comment

Do they only play veggie artists when serving veggie food then? What if somebody orders something vegan? Do they have to play anything by that cunt M*rr*ss*y?

Comment

Every time I shop in our local supermarket, they play the "Let's Annoy G-Man: The Ultimate Collection" CD of terrible 1980s power ballads. Not the decent ones, but all the awful ones. Jennifer Rush, Tina Turner's "The Best", Stevie's telephone song, Peter Cetera's "The Glory Of Love" -- the whole fucking list. Every single time.

Comment

Maybe that's all they have?

Doesn't make things any better, but it's a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
                                          Every time I shop in our local supermarket, they play the "Let's Annoy G-Man: The Ultimate Collection" CD of terrible 1980s power ballads. Not the decent ones, but all the awful ones. Jennifer Rush, Tina Turner's "The Best", Stevie's telephone song, Peter Cetera's "The Glory Of Love" -- the whole fucking list. Every single time.
                                          Conversely at the IGA Supamart where I pop in early each Sunday morning for a paper any any odds and sods which are running low, they’re always playing Blood on the Tracks. Welcome but bizarre; all the staff are under thirty.

Comment

I've always wondered how a brand associated with old school superettes in small town America made it to Australia

It is a riff on Woolworth's still being a thing down under

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                              I've always wondered how a brand associated with old school superettes in small town America made it to Australia

It is a riff on Woolworth's still being a thing down under
                                              What IGA? I just assumed it was an Oz thing.

Meanwhile, in the chemist getting my flu jab. a random selection:

We Belong - Pat Benatar
                                              Hooked on Me - Mac Davis
                                              The Switch-a-roo - Hank Ballard & the Midnighters

Comment

Comment

Well I never. The individual Oz franchises vary hugely, but they open late and are often in handier locations than bigger supermarkets.

East Hampton is posh isn’t it? Playground of vacationing New Yorkers?

Comment

Yes, though it isn't exclusively posh

IGA was started in May 1926 when a group of 100 independent retailers in Poughkeepsie, New York, and Sharon, Connecticut, led by J. Frank Grimes, organized themselves into a single marketing system. Guidance from the IGA management came in the form of marketing and access to a consistent supply chain. After a few years, the company began making its own canned food brand.

By the end of its first year, the group had expanded to include more than 150 retailers. In 1930, over 8,000 grocery stores were using the IGA name.

William Olsen was the company CEO until 1988 when he was replaced by Thomas Haggai. Haggai retired in 2016.

The company uses the "Hometown Proud Supermarkets" slogan. Today, many IGA grocery stores are still located in smaller cities and towns throughout the United States.

The stores in the alliance remain independently owned and operated. The alliance oversees several resources shared among the member stores. These include, most visibly, the IGA store brand products and the logisticalnetwork that distributes them. The alliance also provides training and assessment programs and an online advertising platform. It regularly coordinates promotional events and charity fundraising events that benefit store communities.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X