Shooting at big fish in small barrels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shooting at big fish in small barrels

Music designed to appeal to depressed teenagers/young people...
    I listened back to radioheads 'the bends' a while back, blimey there's some run of the mill shite on there, but at the time it was heralded as some kind of mantra for us miserable kids to hold on to.
    There were a couple on there that I thought held up as good songs, but it reminded me of the feeling as a late teen back in the late 90's when such music just began to piss me off, how at that point I'd realised that songs of this nature were not helping me out of that fog of misery, same goes for how nirvana were aimed at us kids as if he was singing to us, and not writing lyrics from the point of view of a man who had a crumbling spine and was pretty much in pain 24/7.
    What a fucking con it all was.
    Best thing I did was discover post world war 2 music of a certain type that was pretty much just celebrating the fact that the world hadn't ended, I'm thinking 'let's go sunning' by Jack Shaindlin, for example, it provided me a new regard for just being alive, which led me to wonder at the time why the fuck I had to go looking for such things and had to discover the context for myself.
    And it's simple innit, you're just another demographic to go with all of the other fucking demographics, selling us misery by focus groups... And it sales, doesn't it?
    It's so cynical. Yes, I know I'm struggling to discover who I am, but don't just nod, offer me succour!
    To that end, Billie fucking Eilish can fuck all the way off with her affected misery, and it's such a cynical move by the music industry to put a young 'un front and centre after we were presented by young 20-somethings who looked just the right kind of sad and disaffected.

Anyway... Tl;dr and all that: In 20 years time the equivalent of Billie fucking Eilish will be openly weeping in every photo shoot, because that shit sells, man.

fuck that, life is miserable enough for some of us.
    Last edited by Freestyling buck wilding Stijn Stijnen; 20-10-2019, 18:07.
Working...
X