Good Gott

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good Gott

So this fella died recently. I vaguely knew the name, but nothing more really. His funeral was in Prague on Saturday. 300,000 people reportedly turned up. 300,000! That is a quarter of the residents of the city and nearly 3% of the population of the entire country!
    My Mum was in Prague on the day he died. In her telling of it, many of the TV channels immediately switched to the Czech equivalent of "This is Britain and everything's alright", and there were even initial plans for a full State Funeral, until someone pointed out that meant hiring the military and having a Fighter Jet fly-past, and wasn't that a bit over-the-top for a pop singer? As you might be able to divine from this, my Mum was something of a nay-sayer on this bloke. Not that she thought he was bad at his job, just not very interesting. Which was an opinion shared by my relatives who still live in Prague (my Mum was back in Britain by then), who were planning on going mushroom picking in the woods rather than endure the city on the day of the funeral.

This is not apropos of very much, just marveling at the scale of the reaction to him.
    Last edited by Janik; 14-10-2019, 23:10.

Only caught this now. Karel Gott was a crooner of the most square kind, and was hugely popular in West-Germany. He was most famous for singing the theme song for the animated Bee Maja series. I had no time for his crooning.

But I adore his totally demented German language Slavic version of Paint It Black.

Your mother might have disliked the guy if she knew that he was a committed communist who was loyal to the regime, and remained a Catholic even after 1989.

Comment

Working...
    X