Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prince's 50 greatest singles – ranked!

Could get messy.

As a remastered and expanded version of classic album 1999 is announced, we rate the Purple One’s finest funk hits

Decent list. There’ll always be omissions or quibbles, but it feels in the right ballpark

Comment

Yeah, I felt that it was OK too.

Comment

I'd agree that WDC should be around the top of the pile, but not sure that it's 'Prince's most famous song'.

My own list would likely have Sign o' the Times ahead of it.

Comment

1 Raspberry Beret
          <large gap>
          2-50 Everything else

Comment

Prince had 50 songs released as singles? Or these were just 50 individual songs, ranked?

Comment

Prince released over 100 singles in his career - which did, after all, span four decades...

Comment

Dang.

Comment

The smiles on their faces suggest a profound inner peace
                  Ask where they're going, they'll tell you nowhere
                  They've taken a lifetime lease
                  On Paisley Park

Comment

Diddly dang dang.

Comment

'Diamonds and Pearls' ought to be on there.

Comment

There are some startling omissions for me.

From the Dirty Mind album, the funky 'Uptown' and the beautiful 'When You Were Mine'.

From the latter day work, the title track from Musicology deserves a place.

The writer says that Lovesexy was his last unequivocally superb album. I thought it was a dreadful album compared to the rest of his career up to that point.

Comment

Originally posted by blameless View Post
                          1 Raspberry Beret
                          <large gap>
                          2-50 Everything else
                          Haha. I'd go Kiss <gap> the rest.

The link doesn't work for me (it just pushes me to a general Guardian front page), but when someone is ranking 50 songs I'm having a hard time believing that anyone is going to feel cheated.

I haven't purchased any of the reissues yet but I'm glad to see the family is doing what Prince didn't and starting to empty the vaults. I wonder if Prince was thinking a giant payday might come, so he held back the music. Or if he felt the music wasn't his best so held it back. But he released a lot of junk in the decade before he died so if his reason was the latter, I'd argue that his assessment of quality was probably off a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by danielmak View Post
                            The link doesn't work for me
                            If you click on the word 'Prince' on the first line rather than 'Guardian' on the second, it should link correctly.

Comment

"Gett Off" ranking top five, rather than outside the top 50 altogether, surprised me. The clearest indication yet that things were going off the boil.

But hey, we're talking about it, so it's done its job.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post
                                The smiles on their faces suggest a profound inner peace
                                Ask where they're going, they'll tell you nowhere
                                They've taken a lifetime lease
                                On Paisley Park
                                That is a notable omission, I saw him on his last UK tour and Paisley Park was the standout on the night, possibly because his wife came out for guest vocals so he gave a bit more of a shit about it. The rest of his classics were somewhat perfunctory, but he was clearly not a well man.

For me, Mountains and Gett Off aren't top 10 (although they'd be a career high for most other artists)

Dirty Mind, I Would Die 4 U, Take Me With U and Controversy deserve promotion, and Purple Rain is #1 because of the guitar solo. He was really quite good at guitar.

Comment

Now on Great Lives on Radio 4.

Comment

This post doesn't fit the thread. I thought about creating a new all purpose Prince thread, but let's just go with this one. It's amazing to me that he was so tight with the rumored vaults of programs. Then he passes and the family is churning out multi-CD/LP box sets. We all know they are cashing in while they can, but man, he needed to release this stuff. Don't be treat the music as being inferior because it's not what was recorded today. Anyway, here's a version of "I could never take the place of your man" that was first recorded in 1979. Long before it was re-done for Sign o the times. It definitely has a late 1970s new wave/rock sound. There's kind of an early Tom Petty vibe to the music itself. I dig it. Don't know if I will spend the cash for the reissue since I haven't bought any of the other reissues, but I certainly appreciate, as I already said, that I could if I wanted to. Haha.

Last edited by danielmak; 17-07-2020, 02:53.

Comment

Working...
                                    X