Pop will not eat itself

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by danielmak View Post

This sounds good. They would fit well on a bill with Refused, who I like a lot. I listened to the first couple songs from the link you sent and will check out the full record on Monday.
    I love Refused and have never thought of 7 Crowns being like them but see what you mean. Went to see a 7 Crowns spin-off act called Ghost Of The Avalanche (https://ghostoftheavalanche.bandcamp.com/music) tonight who are pretty good in a Nomeansno meets Metallica sort of way but the notable thing was the volte face of me saying to Mrs B, "How can you listen to this without ear plugs"

Also on the bill were my real favourite local band at the moment, Meekers (https://meekers1.bandcamp.com/)

There is also another band that I saw a while ago that you might like although the recorded stuff isn't quite as good as their live set, Dead Arms (https://deadarms.bandcamp.com/music)

I assume you are all over OFF! (can't put a question mark as it might confuse matters)

Comment

I'll check out these other links for sure.

Yeah, OFF! is really good. Keith Morris had and has the type of voice that isn't going to change for the worse; it's always been a punk rock voice. But the music is good as well.

Comment

Yes, when I saw them (and later bought the stuff) they just seemed like state of the art hardcore (of a certain vintage). I have only of late got my head around Black Flag as well (although I love Red Kross).

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
          Yes, when I saw them (and later bought the stuff) they just seemed like state of the art hardcore (of a certain vintage). I have only of late got my head around Black Flag as well (although I love Red Kross).
          Black Flag changed a lot so there really are many Black Flags. For me, the best place to start with Black Flag is the First Four Years. That compilation of their first 7" singles and EP is amazing. The songs are raw and fast. Then Damaged gets heavier (both musically and Henry Rollins joined the band and added heavier vocals). It's a great album. After that there's a drop off in my opinion. The other record, which I just keep forgetting to buy, is Everything Went Black. This is a collection of recordings that were done while they couldn't release anything due to a lawsuit with a former distributor. These are all (??) pre-Damaged Recordings.

Also, on the OFF Front! is the Circle Jerks, whose Group Sex album is a classic. Classic Southern California hardcore. Their second album was a drop off and I never bothered with anything after that. They did a cover for Rodney on the Roq comp that is also really good (much better than the version on their second record).

Comment

Oh yeah, I saw the Circle Jerks with Gang Green back in the 80s but never bought any recorded stuff. I am terrible for that. I don't think it registered with me that it was Keith Morris.

Comment

I ebb and flow. Sometimes I spend much more time and money seeing bands live but don't buy as much music and other times, I don't go to many shows and instead buy more music. Most bands have moved away from CD and my vinyl purchasing days ended a long time ago after I realized I would be moving a lot and the cost of moving vinyl was insane. So, I've been all CD for a while, which changes how much I buy. Luckily there are a lot of discography CDs coming out of Japan when bands tour there.

Comment

Really great thread danielmak. Firstly thanks for the list of new hardcore bands and labels to check out, shall be going through it this afternoon.

Secondly, couldn't agree more about the bland and generic, pop-tinged, stream of consciousness mood music that seems to have become a standard middle ground for most musical genres right now. For me, that f*cking Jungle song is the f*cking anthem for it all; it could be sung anyone, a background to any car advertisement, just devoid of any anger, frustration, emotion energy, personality, desire. But it's hip in as much as it gives nothing away for it to be possibly un-hip. A calculated numbers game, playing it as safe as possible to maximise possible likes and plays, whilst also getting the car advertisement I f*cking hate Jungle like I used to hate Elbow, but at least Elbow are prepared to be seen as the twats they are lyrically, emotionally and gobshitedly.

I've given up using Rough Trade albums of the month or Pitchfork as a guide, I just don't understand where they're coming from. I appreciate The Quietus provides an alternative, but, while infinitely better than Pitchfork, experience suggests about 2 to 3% of their recommendations will stick with me.

Comment

Thanks, Steveeeeeeee.

Derek Thompson wrote a piece for the Atlantic 5 years ago that is slightly dated because of changes in tech. But the lager argument is still relevant. Basically, new media technologies make it easier for corporate labels to track what listeners like. Gone are the days when charts were compiled based on some combination of sales, lies, and what people liked but not really what was played or sold. Now impressions can be gauged across media and sales can be tracked at point of purchase. That's the first half of the article. The second half is that labels then start making records that sound like something that would sell. So we get things like short intros so the vocal hook can come quick and the chorus can come quick. Before we know it we're immersed in sounds that from a technical standpoint (highs, lows, pitch) are basically all the same.

The article was published before streaming really exploded so now people in the music industry talk about songs that are good for a streaming environment. Albums (not just CD/Vinyl--physical albums but a collection of songs that are grouped into one release) matter even less. It's all about playlists with the best collection of bangers for any genre of music. And those playlists tend to be made of things that fit with our mental schema for what a song should do. That schema changes as we go from a long musical intro as we would find in the opening song of a Led Zeppelin record or The Stone Roses album (I know they made more than one but really there's just one) and instead, again, we want to get to the hook right away and that's what pop producers give us.

Here's some French Oi from Traitre as an antidote to everything I just described haha. Although maybe various forms of punk function in a similar generic capacity, since I'm not trying to be elitist about all of this.
                  https://traitre.bandcamp.com/album/dors-bien
                  Last edited by danielmak; 12-10-2019, 00:36.

Comment

Working...
                  X