No announcement yet.

Band T-Shirt As Fashion Item

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's always a smattering of Adam Ant fans with the white stripe and/or hussar jacket at the gigs; mostly you can tell who's going as they're just glammed up and wearing a lot of black, and there are a fair amount of his gig t-shirts.

I don't think I have an Adam t-shirt. I have a tote bag.

Love my Massive Attack t-shirt, to think I almost lost it to a puddle. It's currently the only band tshirt I have, oh no hang on, there are the Chemical Brothers ones I can't fit into.

Comment

Back in the day I used to have a black tee from obscure Bristol goth band "Renegade Flight", featuring a white mask.

It was the fucking mutt's nuts.

Comment

I am currently wearing a Teenage Fanclub t-shirt which I bought at a gig. Not sure where this puts me on the scale of arriviste know-nowt bastards.

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
          I am currently wearing a Teenage Fanclub t-shirt which I bought at a gig. Not sure where this puts me on the scale of arriviste know-nowt bastards.
          I bought a second hand 'Pop Kid' Senseless Things t-shirt from an Oxfam stall last week. I'm not sure what circumstances would see me wear it, but it is now an option.

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
            Are you currently at a different band's gig?

Comment

Not right now, no.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                It would be like going to a Garbage gig dressed as a bin.
                Or wearing a guinea-pig costume to see the Pet Shop Boys.

Actually, scrub that.

Comment

I dread to think what you'd have worn for Southern Death Cult.

Comment

....or Anal Cunt, for that matter.

Someone once explained to me that they thought the whole band t-shirt ridiculous as it meant we were paying to give free advertising to the band. I had never thought of it like that before, it was an interesting idea but basically it is bollocks. I don't remember if she did or not but wearing clothes with big (or small, I suppose) branding all over is the same.

Comment

I tend to think of the musicians I like as ‘artists’ as opposed to ‘businesses’, but there we are.

Comment

TonIght's trip to TK Maxx included a sighting of a Jimi Hendrix Experience t-shirt for sale
                        Last edited by Patrick Thistle; 16-09-2019, 19:03.

Comment

This was surreal, but I bought an OMD shirt at the gig on Friday night. Mrs WOM asked me if I was going to wear it on Saturday. I laughed and said "The day after the show...are you mad?" She said "That's stupid. I mean, I know you don't wear one band's shirt to another band's show, but....".

So apparently this is more universally known than I'd thought.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                            She said "That's stupid. I mean, I know you don't wear one band's shirt to another band's show, but....".

So apparently this is more universally known than I'd thought.
                            No, that’s what you do do.

Wearing the t-shirt the day after the gig is clearly trying far too hard, though, of course.

Comment

There was that great TV interview with that twat Lovejoy interviewing Martin Freeman while wearing a Ramones t-shirt.

Freeman challenging him to name 5 Ramones songs and Lovejoy squirming like the shallow dilletante arse he is when unable to name 1.

Comment

I’m down with the ‘not wearing the shirt to work the day after the show’-policy. I recall a bunch of people at a dismal place where I worked ages ago all wearing the same design of Bryan Adams shirt a day or so after he’d played Wembley - and it frankly looked a bit sad (and not just because of the act involved). Arguably even more so, given that they’d gone as a works group.

The ‘having a problem with wearing another band’s shirt to a show’-thing is just ridiculous, though.

Comment

Spotted in the wild yesterday: a very young looking lad (probably aged about 18 as the new intake of students have arrived) walking along the pavement wearing a Nirvana t-shirt.

He might be well into them and listens to them regularly on his spottytubeapp iWhatsit or whatever, but I felt like shouting 'fuck off, youth!' at him out of my car window.

Comment

One of the children I work with had a Tears for Fears t-shirt on last week. I made a comment (positive) about it, and she looked at me like I was a confused elderly person. I'm not even sure she knew they were a band.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                      Spotted in the wild yesterday: a very young looking lad (probably aged about 18 as the new intake of students have arrived) walking along the pavement wearing a Nirvana t-shirt.

He might be well into them and listens to them regularly on his spottytubeapp iWhatsit or whatever, but I felt like shouting 'fuck off, youth!' at him out of my car window.
                                      A kid in our school had a guitar and started playing the opening chords to "Teen Spirit" so there may be some who know them. He wasn't wearing a t-shirt though.

Comment

I saw a kid of about eight wearing a Nirvana ‘smiley’ shirt the other day. (The guy who was presumably his dad looked very straight so I’m guessing he wasn’t a Cobain fan foisting his tastes on his son. But I wouldn’t really know, would I?)

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                                        One of the children I work with had a Tears for Fears t-shirt on last week. I made a comment (positive) about it, and she looked at me like I was a confused elderly person. I'm not even sure she knew they were a band.
                                        They weren’t - they were a duo.

Comment

"Were" no; they're still doing gigs.

Comment

I was merely appropriating your ‘were’.

Comment

WOM's 'were'...

Comment

Indeed, the ‘were’ of WOM. Duly noted.

’World waits wearily on Womble-vs-WOM ‘were’ word-war.’

There’s your headline.

Comment

I'd rather quibble over whether a duo are a band. Erasure would indicate 'yes'.

Comment

Anyway, I went with past-tense to reflect the entire event having taken place in the past. Saying "I'm not even sure she knew they are a band" sounds odd, whereas "I'm not even sure she knows the are a band" sounds fine.

So....stick that in your pipe and smoke it.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X