No announcement yet.

Classic albums with boring covers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

G-Man, if I remember correctly, the Abbey Road cover was all they could be persuaded to do together: go outside and take a photo in the road. It's a nice photo and a memorable cover. It is boring, though, in terms of what it is and what they did, I think it's fair to say.

Pet Sounds is a great shout.

Comment

Well, boring to some. For others, proof that Paul Is Dead.

Pet Sounds is instantly memorable though. I think it's the shade of green and the font (is that Cooper)... oh, I don't know. Maybe I like it because of the album. The Revolver cover art, mentioned earlier, is shit though.

Comment

I hate all the Led Zeppelin covers, IV looks like shit to me.

Comment

OK, if we have to do it...

Please Please Me: A (oh yes, I will) pleasing cover. An unusual perspective. The boys are fresh-faced. The yellow is of a shade no jazz cover would feature. HangingUpOnWallishnessFactor: 3/5

With The Beatles: Monochome genius. The photo, taken in the corridor of a hotel, is beautiful with its play of light and shadow. The lower-case lettering is ahead of its time. Just gorgeous. HangingUpOnWallishnessFactor: 5/5

A Hard Day's Night: Clever idea with the straps of instant shots. But they are a bit ugly. Still, props for the effort. HangingUpOnWallishnessFactor: 2/5

Beatles For Sale: Released for Christmas, our lads look cold. And their exhaustion is etched on their faces. A gorgeous photo. Nice discreet lettering. HangingUpOnWallishnessFactor: 4/5

Help: A banana for the effort of ostensibly spelling out the letters HELP in flag sephamore. Instead, they called for NUJV, who have just qualified for the Europa League, knocking out Celtic along the way. It's not a pleasing cover for such a great LP. HangingUpOnWallishnessFactor: 1/5

Rubber Soul: The perspective distortion is entirely accidental and genius. It's like they're looking down at us (not on us, post-getting a kicking, as NWA did two decades and a bit later). Released in autumn, it looks like autumn. HangingUpOnWallishnessFactor: 4/5

Revolver: You can't say its boring. You can't say it lacks effort. But it's ugly. HangingUpOnWallishnessFactor: 1/5 (or 5/5, if you dig this stuff)

Sgt. Pepper's: Well, proper art, innit? HangingUpOnWallishnessFactor: 5/5 (or 2/5, if you don't dig this stuff)

Magical Mystery Tour: Not really an LP. It was a pretty exciting cover back in its day, and the booklet was great. But it looks very dated. HangingUpOnWallishnessFactor: 2/5

White Album: As I mentioned before, it was a great artistic statement to have a plain, white cover after the colour of Sgt. Pepper's. A superb message, but HangingUpOnWallishnessFactor: 1/5

Yellow Submarine: As a soundtrack, it doesn't count. I didn't like the cartoon Beatles much anyway. HangingUpOnWallishnessFactor: 2/5

Abbey Road: Interesting enough to have spawned conspiracy theories and countless spoofs. And the back cover is a great idea. Plus: the audacity of not putting the name of the band or album on the cover... With most other bands, you might ask: Who the hell do you think you are? You needn't ask that of The Beatles in 1969. HangingUpOnWallishnessFactor: 4/5

Let It Be: Like a movie fade-out. "This was The Beatles featuring..." Dull and lazy. In the US, the final photo shoot of The Beatles, taken at John 'No Possessions' Lennon's modest abodes, was used for the odd Hey Jude album. There were other pics. Or use an action shot from the rooftop concert. Or maybe the separate photos told a story of the band's imminent dismemberment. HangingUpOnWallishnessFactor: 2/5

The Beatles 1967-70: The recreated photo of the Please Please Me cover in the EMI building was taken for the abandoned "Get Back" LP. John's beard is a hirsute car crash, but it's remarkable how much our boys changed in seven years (2012 in our money!). The '60s in a nutshell. HangingUpOnWallishnessFactor: 3/5
          Last edited by G-Man; 11-09-2019, 21:41.

Comment

Where do you stand on Yesterday and Today?

Comment

Ha! The original cover is just bizarre. Its HangingUpOnWallishnessFactor depends on your stomach for such things. I must say that I love the photo for the revised cover (the one where, I think, Paul sits in a trunk). HangingUpOnWallishnessFactor 3/5.

But of the US covers, I like Something New best. It's utterly lazy: a photo set to black background with the tracklisting and "wacky" font. But it looks like I imagine 1964 to look, and the photo, of The Beatles playing live (on the Ed Sullivan Show?) is a great snapshot. HangingUpOnWallishnessFactor 4/5.

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post

Sorry, but you'll have to run that by me in detail. It is the result of a brief photo shoot (its brevity was probably a good idea, what with cars on roads)

Probably fewer cars on that crossing back then.

Comment

Well, they were almost run over by a doubledecker bus. Apparently the shoot was cut short because of traffic concerns.

Somehow the photo-posting function here doesn't work for me:
                  https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014...2_558833_P.JPG

Comment

You need to use the button (not type the codes) and make sure that the "Retrieve remote file and reference locally" box is unchecked

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
                      Somehow the photo-posting function here doesn't work for me:

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014...2_558833_P.JPG
                      There's your problem.
                      Last edited by 3 Colours Red; 12-09-2019, 15:46.

Comment

I didn't enjoy the Beatles' Daily Mail period either.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post

There's your problem.
                          Does hotlinking to their photos earn them clicks? Or are we simply sucking their bandwidth by posting their pics?

Comment

I'm not sure about either. It just makes me feel a bit dirty having something of theirs on my computer.

Comment

Working...
                            X