Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
    Metallica
    I'm assuming you mean the Black Album, which I came in here to also nominate.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post

Yep. But The Black Album is its unofficial name. The sleeve just says Metallica.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
        Steely Dan’s isn't a promo shot, it’s an unusual illustration.

I'm not saying they’re the most stunning images ever committed to print - they just ‘aren’t’ boring.
        I'm a fan of the Dan, but I don't think any of their album covers are any good. Pretzel Logic is the best of a bad bunch.

Comment

I quite like the cover for Aja (apparently designed by the late comic Phil Hartman) in a "what on earth is that?" sort of way.

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post
            I'm a fan of the Dan, but I don't think any of their album covers are any good. Pretzel Logic is the best of a bad bunch.
            Ditto - and I agree that their sleeves were pretty naff, particularly Can't Buy a Thrill and The Royal Scam. (I personally 'like' the cover of Countdown to Ecstasy.)

Comment

Strange how Steely Dan covers aren't great, but that for Fagen's The Nightfly album is just wonderful.

Comment

Comment

I always thought there was something of the James Blinn about The Colour And The Shape cover.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post

"Smell the Glove", surely?

Comment

In itself surely inspired by Back In Black.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                        The Jam, great band that they were, had a lot of dull covers of the lads standing around looking moody.
                        Went from the 1977 urban underpass shots to the 1980 soft focus rural village green shots. The latter may have been inside sleeve cover but still.

Comment

Setting Sons and Sound Affects broke the mould a bit though.
                          Last edited by Sits; 24-08-2019, 22:59. Reason: Setting Sins?

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                            Hang on a minute here Kev, point of order: the Sigur Rós one is deliberately unobtrusive, by design. It's an untitled album of 8 untitled and nearly wordless tracks, after all; so equally the packaging is intentionally devoid of visual cues, down to having a 'lyric' book of a dozen blank sheets.

And the original pressing, with the outer translucent white sleeve featuring die-cut holes where the ( ) are, is a thing of beauty all of itself.

I actually own copies in three different packagings as I keep picking up alternative ones on eBay for a couple of quid!

Comment

Oh yeah, totally agree with that. It's a rather brilliant bit of design, like the white album - but it's still plain.

Comment

The very first Midnight Oil album is just a plain black sleeve.

Comment

I didn't remember this myself, but Abbey Road is a classic of this. Its cover was literally the result of laziness.

Comment

The cover of Dusty In Memphis is a shocker. No wonder they changed it for later releases.

Comment

I don't mind that cover, but you're spot on that it's plain as could be.

Comment

I think that olive green border spoils it somewhat. Just the portrait shot would have worked just fine.

Comment

It's not a flattering picture though.

Comment

Originally posted by diggedy derek View Post
                                            I didn't remember this myself, but Abbey Road is a classic of this. Its cover was literally the result of laziness.
                                            Sorry, but you'll have to run that by me in detail. It is the result of a brief photo shoot (its brevity was probably a good idea, what with cars on roads) but long enough for McCartney to take off his revolting sandals. The composition of the winning shot is so good, it has been spoofed a trillion times since. And the back cover has some especially made signage on it, added to make it look like it belongs there. It's neither lazy nor boring.

The Let It Be cover, now, that is really lazy.

Comment

I love Revolver, but it seems like a high school art class drawing/collage to me.

Comment

And if it hasn't been mentioned yet, Pet Sounds is monumentally shit. I love the proposed Smile cover but.

Comment

I learned very recently that the Rubber Soul logo /wording was designed by the father of actor/comedian Rebecca Front.

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post
                                                    It's not a flattering picture though.
                                                    A better portrait shot, then.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X