Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Artists identified by their song titles.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's reminded me of another: 'Little Miss Dynamite' - Brenda Lee. (One of her early signature songs was Dynamite, so I imagine...etc.)

Comment

The Prime Minister of the Brand New Heavy Super Funk.

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post

I thought he was usually referred to as "the hardest-working man in showbusiness."
        I would have said the Godfather of Soul, but he's got a shedful of nicknames.

Comment

James "Shedful of Nicknames" Brown is how I think of him.

Shedful Of Nicknames should have been a song by a novelty-ish act from the late 80s or early 90s. HMHB or Frank Sidebottom or someone.

Comment

Yes, I like that- sounds like someone with a colourful past but now wistfully recalls it at the bottom of the garden

Comment

Reflecting on Kenny Rogers' passing, he's sometimes referred to as The Gambler.

Comment

Kraftwerk - The Robots

Comment

Mr Bojangles.

Comment

Chesney Hawkes: "The one and only"

Comment

Stefan Dennis: "Mr Feel Good"

Comment

I guess if you're a one-hit-wonder, then that's always a possibility.

Comment

It didn't occur to me when this thread was last active, but weren't The Beatles known in France – in their early days, at least – as the "yé-yé-yé"s thanks to She Loves You?

Comment

Also, thanks Stumpy for the GrrrrrrDon't It Make You Feel Good? earworm.

(I know that looks like an odd typo, but you know what I mean...)

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                              I guess if you're a one-hit-wonder, then that's always a possibility.
                              Surely the rule of thumb for one-hit wonders is "song title in quotation marks in lieu of middle name" i.e. Norman "Spirit In The Sky" Greenbaum.

Comment

Oddly, that was the very example in my head.

(The song itself had more hits than he did, as it were.)

Comment

Thunderclap “Something in the Air” Newman

Comment

Helps if you have a second name though. Unfortunate if you are Whigfield.

Comment

Oddly, that was the very example in my head.

(The song itself had more hits than he did, as it were.)
                                      Yes, though it only really works with solo artists' names. Doctor "Spirit in the Sky" and the Medics, for example, doesn't scan at all, does it?

One-name singers don't work either – where would you put the quotes?

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
                                        Helps if you have a second name though. Unfortunate if you are Whigfield.
                                        Aah, beat me to it dglh. Spooky!

Comment

It would have been spookier if you mentioned Whigfield and were now amazed all her pitch is pictures that are at least a decade old. She is on the I love the 90s tours.

Comment

Heh, I couldn't think of any specific examples offhand, so no danger there.

Just had to google to see what you meant. I see what you mean.

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post

One-name singers don't work either – where would you put the quotes?
                                              Between the "of" and "fame" you put after the name i.e. Whigfield of "Saturday Night" fame.

Comment

But by then, of course, it ceases to be a nickname.

Unless we’re going to go with things like Nicole ‘Who Once Won the Eurovision Song Contest and Had a Global Hit with A Little Peace’.

(NB Wasn’t ‘Whigfield’ the name of the singer’s producer anyway?)
                                                Last edited by Jah Womble; 04-04-2020, 08:46.

Comment

'Roxanne's Revenge' - a character invented for an answer record:

https://www.interviewmagazine.com/fi...d-chante-adams
                                                  Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 04-04-2020, 09:43.

Comment

(NB Wasn’t ‘Whigfield’ the name of the singer’s producer anyway?)
                                                    That's an interesting question Jah. Everyone regarded Sannie Carlson herself as being 'Whigfield', but I see that Wikipedia phrases it this way:
                                                    Whigfield is an Italian dance project fronted by Sannie Charlotte Carlson (born 11 April 1970), who is a Danish singer, songwriter and record producer, known by her various stage names including Whigfield, Naan, or simply Sannie.
                                                    – which rather covers both options.

There's certainly good precedent for us in Britain (at least) not quite knowing whether the names assigned to semi-anonymous '90s Eurodance acts belonged in theory to the producer, a whole production team or the frontperson in the video/on TotP, etc. Who 'properly' was Baby D, for instance? And I recall finding out only recently about how in the case of MC Sar & The Real McCoy (as in Another Night), who randomly dropped the 'MC Sar &' bit after a couple of singles, MC Sar was a fictitious entity in the first place.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X