Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guitar paint jobs

Need some inspiration.

So in an impulsive moment on eBay, I bought a 1990s Fender Stratoscaster neck for quite a good price. Now assuming Fräulein Pepys doesn't flip her lid and tell me to put it right back on eBay, with the right pickups and setup, I could build a pretty good Frankenstrat for a reasonable price.

The big question is, what to do with the body? An acquaintance could probably do me a funky paint job; then again, I'm also tempted to go ultra minimal and just lacquer the bare wood.

So any ideas? What's the best guitar paint job you've seen recently? Or should I not go against the Fender orthodoxy?

I enjoy watching / listening to a guy called Ben Eller on them there YouTubes. He does swirl finishes on his guitars and I think they look great - inspiration here:

Comment

Some of those swirl finishes are great, but I think you really have to know what you're doing. I would almost certainly fuck it up if I did it myself.

Comment

on my first guitar I covered it in pictures from magazines, stickers, cut out words etc. The centrepiece on the back was some black and white anti heroin ad from the 80s. Then I lacquered over the top. It looked mint.

Doing your own is great. Especially if you're a lefty. It's easier to buy a left handed guitar these days, but manufacturers tend to get all Henry Ford on your ass. So the same guitar in right handed will come in a multitude of colours, but in left handed only in black.

Comment

What wood is the neck?

If maple, Candy Apple Red.

If rosewood, Sunburst.

Why muck about with tradition? Leave the swirls to the humbucked, Floyd Rose toting Ibanezes and Jacksons of this world.

Comment

Originally posted by Eggchaser View Post
            What wood is the neck?
            Maple.

If I go with tradition, then maybe natural wood or Daphne Blue with a tortoiseshell pickguard.

Comment

Why go to the bother of making yourself a Frankenstrat if it then just looks like a Strat?

I reckon you should go full-on EVH, at least for the paint if not the hardware.

Comment

I'm trying to avoid heavy metal nonsense, but I'm open to something a bit psychedelic or abstract.

Comment

Bad example, perhaps, but you get the gist.

Comment

Either murder it out or chrome it.

Comment

For my 50th, the people at my office bought me a build-your-own bass kit (a Frankenprecision?)

I didn't know what colour to use, and I hate spray painting, so I just used some oil I had left over from the wooden worktop in the kitchen. It stank to buggery and was all greasy for a couple of months but it's nice now.

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post

Maple.

If I go with tradition, then maybe natural wood or Daphne Blue with a tortoiseshell pickguard.
                        If you must go Fender traditional (for whatever cockamamie reason) then Shell Pink is where it's at.

Comment

The alternative is just to buy a custom pickguard. Bavarian Stratocaster anyone?

Comment

I quite like that.

Comment

The screw heads interfere too much for my liking.

Mirror pickguard, possibly in a colour?

Comment

Trace round a pickguard onto a self-adhesive vinyl of your liking...

Comment

The one I posted was done using this website.

Comment

Working...
                                  X