No announcement yet.

Geographical annoyances in pop and rock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would say that that is essentially how those from the local area/college say it.

At least among people aware of classical music, Bryn Terfel's success over here has helped with the first bit (thought the number of such people who would already have known Bryn Mawr (arguably the best all women's college in the country) is significant).

Comment

Perhaps this has been mentioned, but I recently learned that there really isn’t any neighborhood or area known as South Detroit. South Detroit.

Steve Perry just thought it sounded better than “East Detroit” or “West Detroit.”

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
        Waterloo sunset. Where's he stood gazing at the sunset at Waterloo, from the roof of the station? Unless he's on about the actual Waterloo in Belgium I suppose.
        The Waterloo in question is in Liverpool. Ray Davies was in the Waterloo hospital in Liverpool when he wrote the song and could see sunsets from his hospital bed. Initially the song was called Liverpool sunset.

Comment

Originally posted by DPDPDPDP View Post

The Waterloo in question is in Liverpool. Ray Davies was in the Waterloo hospital in Liverpool when he wrote the song and could see sunsets from his hospital bed. Initially the song was called Liverpool sunset.
          Er, not sure this is correct.

"The song derives from the period 1965-73 when Ray Davies lived at 87 Fortis Green, the semi-detached suburban home where almost all his songs were written at this period. "I didn't think to make it about Waterloo, initially", Davies said in a 2010 interview, "but I realised the place was so very significant in my life. I was in St Thomas' Hospital when I was really ill [when he had a tracheotomy aged 13] and the nurses would wheel me out on the balcony to look at the river. It was also about being taken down to the 1951 Festival of Britain. It's about the two characters – and the aspirations of my sisters' generation who grew up during the Second World War. It's about the world I wanted them to have. That, and then walking by the Thames with my first wife and all the dreams that we had." Davies' first wife was Rasa Didzpetris, the mother of his first two daughters. They divorced in 1973."

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

Er, not sure this is correct.

"The song derives from the period 1965-73 when Ray Davies lived at 87 Fortis Green, the semi-detached suburban home where almost all his songs were written at this period. "I didn't think to make it about Waterloo, initially", Davies said in a 2010 interview, "but I realised the place was so very significant in my life. I was in St Thomas' Hospital when I was really ill [when he had a tracheotomy aged 13] and the nurses would wheel me out on the balcony to look at the river. It was also about being taken down to the 1951 Festival of Britain. It's about the two characters – and the aspirations of my sisters' generation who grew up during the Second World War. It's about the world I wanted them to have. That, and then walking by the Thames with my first wife and all the dreams that we had." Davies' first wife was Rasa Didzpetris, the mother of his first two daughters. They divorced in 1973."
            Sorry, I remember reading that story a while back and wrote from memorjust looked it up again and got this

"One morning in February 1967, Ray Davies rolled out of bed in his little semi-detached house in North London, and there was a song waiting for him. “Waterloo Sunset came to me in a dream,” Davies tells Classic Rock. “I woke up and it was there.”

But the song that turned into one the signature hits of his band The Kinks, and an enduring anthem of London began as a love letter to a different city altogether.

“Originally I wanted to call it Liverpool Sunset,” Davies reveals. “I loved Liverpool and Merseybeat. But you know what they say as advice for writers – write about what you know. I knew London better than I knew Liverpool. So I changed it.

“Waterloo was a pivotal place in my life,” he continues. “And I saw several Waterloo sunsets. I was in St Thomas’ Hospital there when I was really ill as a child, and I looked out on the Thames. Later I used to go past the station when I went to art college on the train. And I met my first girlfriend, who became my first wife, along the Embankment at Waterloo.” QUOTE

Comment

Working...
            X